Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Well to this point he has taken virtually no action to prevent its spread to the point his wife was in a fairly high risk situation. On the upside this could push some adult in the liberal party (hopefully one exists) to take charge while jr hides out

Ah skippy taking another 2-3 week vacation, will probly self quartine at a beach with good surf.. pos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Absolutely, DW is one of the best out there. On my daily reading list, along with Reuters and a couple of others. Another nice thing about it is that it focus on Europe for the most part, as well as the world in wide sense of the word, unlike local or American media, and it never hurts to know what is going elsewhere on the planet. Their perspectives and opinion pieces are also on point more often than not.

Here is a more detailed description of approaches taken by S Korea and Italy, with the Korean being very similar to that of Singapore. Also mentions why it would not likely work here and the US. Pretty impressive how the DW article mentions that the Taiwanese were getting ready since SARS and this one says the Koreans since SARS and MERS. What was the rest of the world doing since?

Retires: Special Report: Italy and South Korea virus outbreaks reveal disparity in deaths and tactics

Glad to hear some are working or planning to send people to work from home.

Local Walmart has plenty of TP and tissue paper a few days ago. Was pretty much empty yesterday.

Great article!

Thanks for posting that.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:41 PM

Still trying to keep some distance from this thread for a bit. But, can't resist. Received a couple more bits of insider info. Wetaskiwin hospital is apparently being set to become the central hub for Alberta cases. I was told there were 12 new confirmed cases there last night, yet to be made public info though. Also, Westjet will be stopping all operations until further notice, should be announced in the next day or two, I was told from someone very much in the know.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Absolutely, DW is one of the best out there. On my daily reading list, along with Reuters and a couple of others. Another nice thing about it is that it focus on Europe for the most part, as well as the world in wide sense of the word, unlike local or American media, and it never hurts to know what is going elsewhere on the planet. Their perspectives and opinion pieces are also on point more often than not.

Here is a more detailed description of approaches taken by S Korea and Italy, with the Korean being very similar to that of Singapore. Also mentions why it would not likely work here and the US. Pretty impressive how the DW article mentions that the Taiwanese were getting ready since SARS and this one says the Koreans since SARS and MERS. What was the rest of the world doing since?

Retires: Special Report: Italy and South Korea virus outbreaks reveal disparity in deaths and tactics

Glad to hear some are working or planning to send people to work from home.

Local Walmart has plenty of TP and tissue paper a few days ago. Was pretty much empty yesterday.
This is why the US has been the poster child of how not to handle this.....
https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-...-team-n1153221
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...e-say-n1143656

Last edited by Scott h; 03-12-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
You're being sensible but it will take time for people to relearn every day habits. At least people are making an attempt while the risk is still relatively low. The most important issue was getting people to wrap their heads around that this is not just a flu.
Yes, but then there is an opinion columnist (Dave Truscott) for a local rag (Fort Saskatchewan) called the Sturgeon Creek Post who just wrote:

"We've been through this before...And yet Covid-19 is just the flu."
Old 03-12-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Still trying to keep some distance from this thread for a bit. But, can't resist. Received a couple more bits of insider info. Wetaskiwin hospital is apparently being set to become the central hub for Alberta cases. I was told there were 12 new confirmed cases there last night, yet to be made public info though. Also, Westjet will be stopping all operations until further notice, should be announced in the next day or two, I was told from someone very much in the know.
THX for the updates!
Old 03-12-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Why on earth Wetaskiwin I wonder?
Old 03-12-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Wow, 12 is a lot of people to be in one small hospital that is not used to dealing with really infectious people.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:02 PM

Went into Superstore this afternoon to get the weekly grocery trip out of the way before the weekend madness.....

I wasn't the only person with that idea - lineup to pay stretched to the very back and wrapped half way around the store, it was pandemonium haha. Looked like everyone was getting their "2 weeks of quarantine" supply.

'Glad I chipped away at that little stockpile the past few weeks, should be good to go other than my wife and I probably using socks to wipe our rectums

I can only imagine the next few days will only get worse, so if you need even the usual groceries I'd recommend going asap
Old 03-12-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
Went into Superstore this afternoon to get the weekly grocery trip out of the way before the weekend madness.....

I wasn't the only person with that idea - lineup to pay stretched to the very back and wrapped half way around the store, it was pandemonium haha. Looked like everyone was getting their "2 weeks of quarantine" supply.

'Glad I chipped away at that little stockpile the past few weeks, should be good to go other than my wife and I probably using socks to wipe our rectums

I can only imagine the next few days will only get worse, so if you need even the usual groceries I'd recommend going asap

Not to worry. There is a guy on kijiji selling tp for $5 a roll
Old 03-12-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Wow, even WestJet pilots don't even know that lol
Old 03-12-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Wow, 12 is a lot of people to be in one small hospital that is not used to dealing with really infectious people.
I was informed that this is where cases will be getting sent for serious treatment and they are getting all set up for that role. Guessing these 12 are the first batch....
Old 03-12-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Umm nope, they do. Info Came from a pilot buddy who was just notified a couple hours ago.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 03-12-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Why on earth Wetaskiwin I wonder?
It's a faily large and newer hospital. I'm guessing one of the better hospitals not in a major center. Probably has something to do with mitigating risk to the public in the bigger centers? Just a guess, but kind of makes sense
Old 03-12-2020, 07:13 PM

I was laughing at everyone, and I mean everyone walking out of the Walmart and Co-op today, not a single cart without TP in it. Some people had nothing at all but TP.

Guess I should have invested in tp futures.

On a side note- my daughter is flying back from Mexico today, the guy in Veg that has it apparently got it in Mexico. Great.

We have the grandsons here, sure would like to keep them here for 2 weeks to a month until they are certain they do not have it.

Yes, I know fatality rates are low in kids, big goddamn deal who wants to be that sick?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-12-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Not to worry. There is a guy on kijiji selling tp for $5 a roll
Something tells me that'll be a bargain in a few weeks lol
Old 03-12-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I was laughing at everyone, and I mean everyone walking out of the Walmart and Co-op today, not a single cart without TP in it. Some people had nothing at all but TP.

Guess I should have invested in tp futures.

On a side note- my daughter is flying back from Mexico today, the guy in Veg that has it apparently got it in Mexico. Great.

We have the grandsons here, sure would like to keep them here for 2 weeks to a month until they are certain they do not have it.

Yes, I know fatality rates are low in kids, big goddamn deal who wants to be that sick?
That’s not an unreasonable idea Ken.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
It's a faily large and newer hospital. I'm guessing one of the better hospitals not in a major center. Probably has something to do with mitigating risk to the public in the bigger centers? Just a guess, but kind of makes sense
What a brilliant plan!!!...let's move the infected people out of the major centers to a rural one,then when that hospital is over loaded, we can move the next batch to some other rural hospital...what could possibly go wrong???
Old 03-12-2020, 07:56 PM

Whelp..... sparkle socks wife has been Covid confirmed.

All hail Prime Minister Freeland.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 03-12-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
What a brilliant plan!!!...let's move the infected people out of the major centers to a rural one,then when that hospital is over loaded, we can move the next batch to some other rural hospital...what could possibly go wrong???
Oh....I think that is when the other countries moved in the incinerator’s?
Old 03-12-2020, 08:06 PM

How do so many top politicians keep getting it? Due to the international travel? What the ****

Won't lie I am getting quite worried and anxious about all of this
Old 03-12-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
How do so many top politicians keep getting it? Due to the international travel? What the ****

Won't lie I am getting quite worried and anxious about all of this
They travel a lot. Airports are incubators.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
Funny but coincidentally understandable.

Just in mid January my wife and I were shopping there for the first time for a friend so we were in the store for a while trying to find everything. On leaving I remember I commented to my wife how I got a very negative vibe from the customers there. I couldn’t recall that perception or sensation of people in any other store anywhere, ever and that’s why I brought it up with my wife.

I can’t recall the details but it was things like no “excuse me”’s, no moving to let me get by, etc - just like a room full of unhappy people.
I agree with you

Normally its fairly easy there. Big shoppng lists usually takes me to Superstore because i save about $100 each trip over Safeway.... but for 5-10 things, I hit safeway

But today was WOW. Theres a lot of scared people.....it isnt right, but theyre scared.

Sometimes I wish there was less information out there.....it keeps the manipulators in check

I am a believer in the notion of "Fake News"

Im starting to dislike them more than politicians...and that takes some doing! Lol

But people need to use their own brains. Its our fault. People seem to be getting conditioned into believing almost anything.

I had ZERO intention of buying into this stockpiling thing that is going on, but in honesty, if you dont obtain a few extras, you will be sucking the back teat.

Im not talking a garage full of ammo and toilet paper, but I might buy 6 of something rather than my normal 2 on my next trip to the store.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:19 PM

Confirmed for Mrs. Trudeau.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

How does this work here. Shouldn’t all those ministers be tested. Freeland is always near him and Sparkle socks has lots of other people in the same room
Old 03-12-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

Will it make any difference, if Trudeau isn't hiding at home, he is spending taxpayer dollars on vacation? It's not like he actually does anything of value.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:29 PM

Im noticing Africa is pretty darn quiet.........
Old 03-12-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Are you a pilot for WestJet? Serious question. Maybe my info is incorrect. Indirect info from a good friend. But my friend has worked for Westjet for almost 15 years, flying their largest planes, and that is what he told me today. There are also talks of shutting down commercial flights Canada wide, not just Westjet. Getting so tired of getting sucked back into this. Don't know why I even bother sometimes. I just find it important. Hopefully some get something, out of some of what I have to contribute to the discussion is the only reason I keep coming back.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Im noticing Africa is pretty darn quiet.........
There are a few that make no sense. Only time will tell. 144 in Canada now, up from 122. Wonder if that includes the 12 I heard about, haven't looked for the details yet
Old 03-12-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Are you a pilot for WestJet? Serious question. Maybe my info is incorrect. Indirect info from a good friend. But my friend has worked for Westjet for almost 15 years, flying their largest planes, and that is what he told me today. There are also talks of shutting down commercial flights Canada wide, not just Westjet. Getting so tired of getting sucked back into this. Don't know why I even bother sometimes. I just find it important. Hopefully some get something, out of some of what I have to contribute to the discussion is the only reason I keep coming back.
Just ignore all those people. There are starting to be less and less of them!