Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 08:15 AM

Exclamation It’s going to get real rough going forward

Seems like ammunition and reloading components are drying up faster than a mud hole in the desert.

If you see it, you better buy it, and maybe a spare couple as well.

And if Dementia Joe and Kookie Kamila win the November election, it’ll only get worse.

Having been through no less than 5 of the tight times for ammunition and components, I’m sure glad I learnt my lessons after the second time.

You young fellers better open your eyes, or open your wallets.

Retailers and distributors are hinting late next spring before much of anything start to grace our shelves up here.

Cue the gougers and profiteers.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-06-2020, 08:26 AM

to top it off Remington's creditors may have just made it impossible for them to export product. going to be short supplies on some items for sure.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:05 AM

Those of us that prepared will be fine for years to come, those that ignored what is going on will pay a lot more, if and when they actually find what they want. And like previous shortages, sorry, but those of us that did prepare won't be anxious to sell what we have to the people that didn't prepare.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Yup.....last winter I got real busy on the reloading bench.....good to go for a long time....and scooped up a lot of extra stuff too.....preparation is the key to success...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-06-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Those of us that prepared will be fine for years to come, those that ignored what is going on will pay a lot more, if and when they actually find what they want. And like previous shortages, sorry, but those of us that did prepare won't be anxious to sell what we have to the people that didn't prepare.
I have zero issue helping a newbie out, but those who have been around the block a couple times, I have zero sympathy for.

It’s the profiteers that make my skin crawl, gouging on prices to make a couple quick dollars, is just like the arse wipes who jack the price on bottled water when a hurricane or natural disaster happens. All in the name of a free market economy.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-06-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I have zero issue helping a newbie out, but those who have been around the block a couple times, I have zero sympathy for.

It’s the profiteers that make my skin crawl, gouging on prices to make a couple quick dollars, is just like the arse wipes who jack the price on bottled water when a hurricane or natural disaster happens. All in the name of a free market economy.
Every time there is a powder or primer shortage, I advise the people that I know, to stock up a bit. Some do, but there is always someone that was warned, that takes no action, then comes begging for powder or primers. It's always the same people, but by now, most know better than to call me, because I am not risking running short myself, to make up for them making no effort to plan ahead. Years ago , I did part with some supplies doing shortages, but instead of learning , the people that I bailed out , just assumed that they could rely on me if they ran short. I don't stock up to make a profit later, I stock up, so I don't run out in the future
Old 09-06-2020, 09:36 AM

The shortage issues have been around regularly since the 70s. So has the pattern of increasing pricing. Since the prices of everything continues to rise regularly I am okay with paying more to get what you need, as long as you can actually get it. Anyone who doesn't keep at least 3 years supply on hand risks not being able to get what they need, regardless of the price they are prepared to pay. The States already have shortages of Primers, some powders and many popular types of loaded ammo like 9mm, 223, 308 etc. You know this is going to hit Canada even harder because manufacturers will retain stock to sell in the States.

Like you guys have said, despite being warned many refuse to take control of their world. You just can't help some people.

Last edited by Dean2; 09-06-2020 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:29 AM

Seeing the people down there searching for primers at the moment, is quite the show. Even the gun mfgrs can't keep up, covid didn't help that situation either. The supply chain is out of sync and starting to recover, but, some states are making it difficult to get back to work. The ammo plants are taking the bulk of the bullets apparently and running all the shifts they can get people for. It's going to be a gong show til after the election, and maybe longer if things go south down there.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:21 AM

Some of us can't spend $$$$ on ammo-components. Consider yourselves fortunate to have the disposable income. For many single income and young families there's not enough $$ left after bills. On my shooting/ hunting budget there's no way I could stock up on years worth of supplies. It's becoming much more of a rich man's sport than we realize.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Some of us can't spend $$$$ on ammo-components. Consider yourselves fortunate to have the disposable income. For many single income and young families there's not enough $$ left after bills. On my shooting/ hunting budget there's no way I could stock up on years worth of supplies. It's becoming much more of a rich man's sport than we realize.
You don't need to spend thousands of dollars to top up your supplies a bit. For the cost of one tank of fuel, or a meal out, or what many people smoke in a week, or drink , you can buy a pound of powder, or a box of bullets, or a case of primers. And you don't have to buy it all at once, a pound of powder this month, bullets the next month, etc,
Old 09-06-2020, 12:16 PM

One pound of powder and a box of bullets doesn't last long if you are a target shooter , maybe for hunting ammo .
Cat
Old 09-06-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
One pound of powder and a box of bullets doesn't last long if you are a target shooter , maybe for hunting ammo .
Cat
For a competitive target shooter no, but the average person doesn't shoot more a few hundred rounds per year, many don't shoot that.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Good god you come across as a miserable human being.
And all that will happen is more people will leave the sport. Golf courses will get busier. Lots of us are single income families, inflation eating our jobs, trying to financially balance kids sports with outdoor activities. School fees going up, you name it. And when we have extra cash laying around it goes into RRSPs and RESP cause most of us don't have cushy pensions to draw on. But hey good on you for being able to afford the supplies and equipment.

Last edited by ESOXangler; 09-06-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
Hes just being ignorant. Its not like the dies, brass, tumblers and press all come in the 1# powder container either.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:02 PM

Thumbs up BTDT, learned my lesson.

Those that refuse to learn are typically the ones that lament the unfairness and complain the loudest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf range 2.jpg (102.3 KB, 117 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 09-06-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Good god you come across as a miserable human being.
And all that will happen is more people will leave the sport. Golf courses will get busier. Lots of us are single income families, inflation eating our jobs, trying to financially balance kids sports with outdoor activities. School fees going up, you name it. And when we have extra cash laying around it goes into RRSPs and RESP cause most of us don't have cushy pensions to draw on. But hey good on you for being able to afford the supplies and equipment.

I’ll say it again, you probably won’t see any new shooting related stuff till next spring, even .22 shells are gonna be tough to get hold of, so if you don’t want to pick up a slight cushion in ammunition or components, don’t be whining about hard luck, and un fairness.

That’s all this thread is about.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 09-06-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:32 PM

How the hell does every thread turn into a whine fest? I started hand loading when I was 13. My father didn't so I learned at a course at the Edm Fish and Game when the office was still over on Tower road. I loved to shoot my whole life so I made having enough money to do it a priority. When money was tight as it sometimes was, I passed on things like partying, fancy cars, and other hobbies to make sure I had enough money to cover the necessities and still be able to shoot and hunt. Other people have different priorities, no problem. Do what you believe .

No one told anybody how to allocate their money. All that has been said is prices are rising, supply is getting tighter and that this happens pretty regularly. Do whatever the heck you want with the information but quit bitching at those of us that have worked our butts off to afford our hobby and think shooting is important enough to make those choices.

Last edited by Dean2; 09-06-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
How the hell does ever thread turn into a whine fest? I started hand loading when I was 13. My father didn't so I learned at a course at the Edm Fish and Game when the office was still over on Tower road. I loved to shoot my whole life so I made having enough money to do it a priority. When money was tight as it sometimes was, I passed on things like partying, fancy cars, and other hobbies to make sure I had enough money to cover the necessities and still be able to shoot and hunt. Other people have different priorities, no problem. Do what you believe .

No one told anybody how to allocate their money. All that has been said is prices are rising, supply is getting tighter and that this happens pretty regularly. Do whatever the heck you want with the information but quit bitching at those of us that have worked our butts off to afford our hobby and think shooting is important enough to make those choices.
You are absolutely right.
I had a much harsher post, in my rebuttal, but redacted it, in case someone’s feelings got hurt.

It’s all about being informed, and cherishing what you love.

It’s not a them vs us discussion.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-06-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I had a much harsher post, in my rebuttal, but redacted it, in case someone’s feelings got hurt.

Dean and you are 100% correct.
Thanks for the info.
It will be a great day when this roller coaster is over. Maybe the good days are over. I really hope not.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:15 PM

I don't reload, either didn't have the time, and I never had the interest. Tried it, not my thing. But every time I found a good deal on ammo, I always bought lots. Cases and cases. I am still shooting some rimfire and 12g target loads I bought 8 years ago on sale. When I found a great deal on pistol ammo (9mm, 45 acp, 357, 40 S&W, 44 mag) I spent about $4K on it. It was a pinch at the time, but I still have probably half of it (other than 9mm, I go through that like popcorn) and prices are double or more now than what I paid them ....anyway, yes. It's not cheap. It's not easy. But buying bulk when the price is right sure takes the sting out. Has floated me through every shortage. I do the same with rifle ammo, watch the buy and sell and when I see some at a good price, buy it all. Keeps me shooting. I have even sold a gun or two that I wasn't using, to buy ammo. It is a given that ammo shortages and component shortages are going to happen, especially before and after US elections. Glad I am able to buy, and sympathize with those who would like to and have other priorities.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-06-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:

yeah shoot went a little sideways on that one. My apologies. I'll message the mods and get my post pulled and take a break from here.

Have a good season all!
Old 09-06-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
How the hell does every thread turn into a whine fest? I started hand loading when I was 13. My father didn't so I learned at a course at the Edm Fish and Game when the office was still over on Tower road. I loved to shoot my whole life so I made having enough money to do it a priority. When money was tight as it sometimes was, I passed on things like partying, fancy cars, and other hobbies to make sure I had enough money to cover the necessities and still be able to shoot and hunt. Other people have different priorities, no problem. Do what you believe .

Exactly! If people choose not to listen when they are being told what is happening, that is their business, just don't complain when the price goes up, or you can't find the supplies that you want. I often help people to locate supplies, and I have helped several people to get into reloading, but if they choose not to listen when warned, that is there problem, not mine.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:24 PM

Esox asked me to take down a post. I said no way. I, and many others agree. This whole bloody country is in the midst of an economic disaster like we've never seen.

Too many, and I am not talking about this thread specifically, just assume that everyone has spare cash. Newsflash. Thousands upon thousands have lost their job with no real prospects in sight. That's the reality.

I don't give a flying flip if you are the nicest guy on this forum or the biggest jerk. Have a bit of understanding and save ignorant posts for Facebook where your name is behind your words.

We should all have empathy for each other.

The original sentiment of this thread is bang on. Ammo and supplies will be scarce if a dem gets elected. If you reload stock up. If not, carry on and be kind to others that's what this world needs.

Maybe I am just getting tired of rudeness, and donating my time to police ignorant adults, but our forum is getting a whole lot worse which is sad.

Everyone needs to take a step back before hitting that damn submit button.
Closed Thread