Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-01-2020, 01:07 PM

Default Sako 85 finnlite 2

ANYONE out there have any experience good, or bad with this rifle I am contemplating purchasing one
Old 09-01-2020, 02:28 PM

Possibly the most overpriced factory rifle I can think of. That's a lot of coin for what you are getting.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:23 PM

Overpriced by a few dollars for sure.
Actions are pretty smooth, I like the 5 round mag on the smaller cal's. Scope mounts are way expensive. In my experience, accuracy is more consistent between different makes of ammo but I don't find them a smoking accurate gun. Know what I mean? LOL. I don't reload but I've had to go through quite a bit of different factory ammo with my 243 to get one that grouped how I wanted it to. Even used they are quite pricey. There are better value rifles out there.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:20 PM

May I suggest...
I have own a few sako.
None have let me done on any hunts or fly ins.
If I was to start over again I would not hesitate to buy a used sako 75.
Possibly sako at it's very best.
Currently hunting with a sako 85 grey wolf in 338 win mag. Nice rifle very accurate but always admiring my father's sako 70 more.
Don't waste your $ on newer sakos. Pur that $into nice optics on an 75 0r 85

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 09-01-2020, 08:43 PM

Would have to handle one to really know. Cerakote and who knows the quality of the rtm fibreglass stock.

For the price, could really look into a cooper.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:03 PM

Accuracy is typically excellent in any 75 or 85. I currently own five Sako 85s, including the Finnlight 2 in 300WinMag. All of my rifles shoot beautiful tight cloverleafs at 200 metres using anything off the shelf. Had two others that I parted with but they were also sub MOA rifles. Aside from the models I own, I have also assembled several others for friends and colleagues, all of which followed suit in being sub MOA rifles.

As for the Finnlight 2, the ergonomics for me are excellent as the adjustable elevation of the comb makes the stock significantly better than other 85s. Action is silky smooth like all 85s. Recoil is minimal even from heavy loads in the 300WinMag. It is not a true lightweight but by no means difficult to carry as it is still lighter than most Brownings, Remingtons, H-S, Steyr, or Winchester.

Price is the downfall of this model. I found a great deal on a new/unfired rifle. Had I not been so lucky in finding such a deal I would not pay the retail prices from any vendor for the Finnlight 2. I have seen it on the shelf for $3400. It is a great rifle but not worth this price. Unless you are lucky and find a deal as I did, but a regular Finnlight or Stainless-Synthetic as you will not be disappointed.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:20 PM

I’ve owned three ‘75’s (two 308’s and one 6.5 Swede). They all shot reasonably well off the bench, probably agg’ ing a bit over 3/4” at 100M. I suspect that very few lighter weight “factory” hunting rifles in the Finlite class agg under 1/2 MOA. I have yet to see one.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:00 PM

I own a lot of Sako's for 3 grand that one will be collecting dust on the dealers shelf...for a long time.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.