Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-21-2020, 01:38 PM

Default Anyone play with a 6x45 (6mm-223)?

Anyone build one or buy one when a few factory options were available? Not sure if they still make them.
What are your thoughts on it?
Old 08-21-2020, 02:48 PM

Default I had one...

Was built on a Ruger Ranch Rifle.

Thought I was getting a .223 in a trade From a buddy. He did no know it was a 6mm barrel either.

Very heavily barrelled.

Shot good for a Semi.

Took a few deer with it.

100 grain Partitions were very effective inside 150m.
Never had a chance at anything further.

Lucked out and found dies at Wholesale ( they did not know they had them ).

Had fun with it. Very very low recoil.

Perplexed a number of Fish and Wildlife Officers ( you cant hunt with a .223!!! )

A few measurements and I was back on my way.

Was fun to reload for.

Sold it to fund a rifle my daughter could carry.

Pm if you have specific question and I will try to answer them.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:37 PM

got a nice little bench gun for sale. accurate and fun to score shoot with to 300m.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:42 PM

Well I was kind of hoping you would come out and say not to waste my time, but now I’m intrigued hahaha.
Stupid gun itches getting scratched haha.
I was thinking going the bolt action route and am planning on starting with a 223, but if I ever need a new barrel I would have all the brass I need and as pointed out, a 6mm bullet is legal for deer.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:40 PM

Default I was once

Stopped by a CO/kid that didn't know how to open a Cooey single shot shotgun.His trainer and i just laughed at him which only made him more determined to find something wrong..........................Failed
Old 08-21-2020, 11:12 PM
Banned

I bought some ammo at an auction and got a box of 50 reloads in it. Confused me at first when I saw the 223 head stamp.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:25 AM

Back before Ruger mini’s were banned I considered having one rebarrelled for 6x45. I saw the same positives as you, cheap to shoot, legal for deer. I’d say the catch is that it is somewhat limited in range. But within it’s means it’s an interesting cartridge.

For me though, in a bolt action I personally would go with a more powerful cartridge. Though I suppose it depends on what your planned usage / expectations are. For me I like a cartridge that can take game as far as I’m comfortable shooting at game (400-500 yards would be my max). Though I have never taken game at further than 175 and now I take most at 30 yards. But I still like knowing if the longer shot presents itself that my setup is up to the task.

One more thing: bullet construction. Most 6mm bullets are made to be fired from higher velocity cartridges, you might run into low end FPS expansion issues. Kind of like 338 federal, most 338 bullets are made for 338 win mag velocities. Seems like most report no issues though, just something I’d research very well to be certain being I made my decision.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:57 AM

I love mine. I shoot 95 grain Berger vlds and it crushes deer. Such a great gun to shoot. I would like to build an ultra light in a 6x45 next.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:11 AM

Roamer, purpose of this gun would be trigger time at a range, burning less powder than the 7mm-08, and low recoil so kids can enjoy more shots and dad can have fun. If more power needed, they’ll use the 7mm-08 but I like the utility of 6x45 being legal and useful for deer at 100-200m should the opportunity arise. Excellent comparison on bullet construction. Thank you.

raw outdoors, that would be an incredibly light rifle I’m sure. Nice combo you’re running now.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:48 AM

In further reading, maybe what I’m looking for is a 7 TCU and in the meantime I can use reduced recoil loads in the 7mm-08 with H4895
Old 08-22-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
In further reading, maybe what I’m looking for is a 7 TCU and in the meantime I can use reduced recoil loads in the 7mm-08 with H4895

This is kind of what I was meaning by in a bolt action. It’s like I’ve said to Stinky Coyote concerning the 6.5 Grendel, I think these “high performance” intermediate cartridges are great and all, but for me really only in intermediate actions. Because I handload I can make any “full short action” cartridge perform like an intermediate by downloading. And I love h4895 for that! Start at 60% of max charge, boom, fun plinking round burning less powder. I was actually going to recommend downloading 243 win over the 6x45. At the end of the day with a “full” cartridge you can run full power for full performance, but intermediate cartridges can never match the performance of full cartridges.

Again, in intermediate action I think things like 6x45 and 6.5 Grendel are cool, just kind of a waste in normal sized actions. To each their own though.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:06 PM

I've got a cooper M51 stainless excalibur, in 6x45, 1-10 twist, 20" tube.
Vary accurate and shoots the 75gr Serrias into tiny little groups, least fussy rifle I've ever owned, pretty much plants any bullet in the 65-80gr range into the same place (100m)with several different powders,
The 6x45 runs a 5g heaver bullet, a bit faster than the .223 can. i get 65gr 3150. 75gr at 3000fps, 80g at 2950, and 85gr at 2850,
The 65gr v-max and 85gr Serria HP are same point of impact, for me out to 250m, very handy.
I've got in in New Zealand now, as an upgrade to a very tatty Sako vixen .222, much more verisital, got a few deer, mostly fallow, and two red deer, and 25 or so goats with it,
Only complaint i have is cooper bolt is noisy, (clicks) when cocking, cost me an easy deer,
Old 08-22-2020, 10:39 PM
Banned

A lot of things are a waste on reloaders. I only shoot factory ammo. I’m obsessive enough, going down that rabbit hole would be a bad idea lol. Not sure you reloaders constitute the norm. So this why I champion some of these things. I want to readily buy and use modern performance in factory gear and ammo. Like you guys, I could care less about 6-dashers, 6x45’s, etc etc. I want to play in those single digit recoil energy classes of 6-7mm. I think this forum has an unusually high number of serious gun nuts...and thankful for it. And maybe not all the typical shooters and hunters speak nearly fluent ballistics...I do. I love ballistics, but also 10 other things not even related to guns so I’m saving reloading adventure for retirement perhaps. It’s pretty significant when you can offer modern high level performance and efficiency to all shooters...like the 6.5 creedmoor has done. The 6.5 Grendel is same just for the next size down action class. 6-Arc will make its way quickly I’m sure. So let’s not dismiss these things just because you happen to be part of the elite clubs and roll your own.✌️
Old 08-23-2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
So let’s not dismiss these things just because you happen to be part of the elite clubs and roll your own.✌️
Hand loaders are hardly some sort of elite club, many of us hand load because we cannot afford to shoot factory ammo in the amount of ammo we shoot , and many need to hand load to stay competitive in the disciplines they shoot, hardly an elite group however.

However if a person wants to shoot oddball cartridges , they had better learn how to hand load, and that is half the fun of it for many.
Being newly retired I am scaling back my bigger cartridges and shooting and hand loading the smaller ones more because of cost

Cat
Old 08-23-2020, 06:59 AM

Stinky, I mean no offence and hope I don’t come off as an elitist over handloading, not my intent at all. I handload on the cheap, no fancy gear here. I hand load because my dad taught me to do it when I was young, 7ish (when I learned how to shoot) and because I can make better ammo (tailored to my rifle) for less than half of what it costs to buy a box of commercial ammo. With the amount that I shoot, that savings is huge. Another thing I like about handloading is I get to pick the components that my cartridge is made of. I can go with ball powder for more speed, but typically temp instability, or I can go with extruded powder for less speed but more temp stability. Let’s see, 60 degree Celsius swing in this province over 12 months, I choose stability. Anyways, I usually encourage handloading because of the cost savings and results. Not because I think I’m better than someone who shoots factory ammo.

I sort of assumed that 6x45 would be more of a handloaders cartridge and that’s why I mentioned downloading other cartridges for comparable performance (ballistics).

I do agree that the single digit recoil area is an enjoyable one to shoot in. Unfortunately most of my rifles are well above that, except for downloads.

Cat, I agree. There are some people with some pretty expensive reloading setups, but I think most run more economical yet functional setups.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:44 AM
Banned

Points taken Gents!

So i guess i could have put my point better, perhaps the general hunting and shooting population. A large, if not, majority of all us shooter/hunters combined? Mo betta? Having off the self access to modern high level performance is what appeals to me and that group. 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 Creedmoor are a few of these choices, and that is the appeal. You can replicate these performance levels with reloading and custom guns, that's been going on for ages, but affordable factory options are a big deal.

I do like the idea of reloading for cost in retirement when my shooting time may be able to increase and justify it! I've been saving all my Grendel brass.
Old 08-23-2020, 01:00 PM
Banned

One of my favorite cartridges . I currently have 2 , both customs on Sako actions.

I also had a Cooper single shot

As well as 2 6x47 Remingtons both rebored 222 customs by Ron Smith.

The 6x47 is a necked up 222 Rem Mag.

Lots of fun accurate and very cheap to load for.

Old 08-24-2020, 12:42 PM

Thumbs up 6x45

I recently had K&S barrel a Sako A1 for me with a 8twst. Love it, cheap to reload and minimal recoil, I stalk my deer within 150 yds, want to try it this fall, very good groups and so easy to clean. !! 5.5 lb unit and 23grs. of powder behind a 80 gr bullet. Yotes and beavers beware. Talked to Rembo and Double gun before hand. these guys gave me good direction. brass is abundant, and recoil/noise is minimal. good luck with yours, mine is a keeper. Kap Crk.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapustacrk View Post
I recently had K&S barrel a Sako A1 for me with a 8twst. Love it, cheap to reload and minimal recoil, I stalk my deer within 150 yds, want to try it this fall, very good groups and so easy to clean. !! 5.5 lb unit and 23grs. of powder behind a 80 gr bullet. Yotes and beavers beware. Talked to Rembo and Double gun before hand. these guys gave me good direction. brass is abundant, and recoil/noise is minimal. good luck with yours, mine is a keeper. Kap Crk.

Sounds pretty awesome!
I emailed them K&S on Saturday and they replied today. Would love to hear more about your project.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:30 PM
Banned

L-R

Sako AI 222 12" twist Mcmillian Stock

Sako AI 6x45 8" twist Banser Stock

Sako L461 6x45 12" twist GE Flach custom

All with z3 Sawvorski scopes

Old 08-25-2020, 02:37 PM
Banned

Custom Rem 600 rebored and rechambered from a 222 to 6x47 Remington by Ron Smith
Old 08-25-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357Maximum View Post
One of my favorite cartridges . I currently have 2 , both customs on Sako actions.

I also had a Cooper single shot

As well as 2 6x47 Remingtons both rebored 222 customs by Ron Smith.

The 6x47 is a necked up 222 Rem Mag.

Lots of fun accurate and very cheap to load for.

I'm curious if you had the gun smith rebore the .222 barrel, or did you buy the rifles already finshed? I've had thoughts of having that very conversion done on an old BSA but didn't know of who did that sort of work.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:28 PM

Ron Smith does re-bore but from everything I’ve read and heard (looked into pricing for myself), you may as well just get a new barrel instead. He makes great barrels too. Talked to a gunsmith this morning that does a lot of work with Ron. I think he said 148 Ron Smith barrels alone, last year. PM if you need more info or contact.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
L-R

Sako AI 222 12" twist Mcmillian Stock

Sako AI 6x45 8" twist Banser Stock

Sako L461 6x45 12" twist GE Flach custom

All with z3 Sawvorski scopes

Beautiful rifles.
When I reason with myself, the 243 and 7mm-08 with low recoil H4895 loads is the way to go.
When I see rifles like that and hear from guys with a 6x45 or 7 TCU, it sounds so enticing
Old 08-25-2020, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
I'm curious if you had the gun smith rebore the .222 barrel, or did you buy the rifles already finshed? I've had thoughts of having that very conversion done on an old BSA but didn't know of who did that sort of work.
Work was already done when I purchased, I've had 2 the on in the picture and one on a model 700 action.

Both were very accurate.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Beautiful rifles.
When I reason with myself, the 243 and 7mm-08 with low recoil H4895 loads is the way to go.
When I see rifles like that and hear from guys with a 6x45 or 7 TCU, it sounds so enticing
I also have a TC Contender Carbine in 7mm TCU lot's of fun, and a AAC 300 in a Remington Bolt.

That 223 cartridge is lot's of fun to neck up.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I also have a TC Contender Carbine in 7mm TCU lot's of fun, and a AAC 300 in a Remington Bolt.

That 223 cartridge is lot's of fun to neck up.

You’re not helping my pocketbook lol
What bullet weight do you run in the 7 TCU?
Old 08-25-2020, 07:56 PM
Banned

Thousands of rounds of 156gr lyman cast bullets when I was shooting handgun silhouette.

Under max loads of Higgson surplus 44 powder slightly faster then 3031. It was $28.00 for a 7lb box in the mid 80's

Lately I've been using various powders under 139gr Hornady.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapustacrk View Post
Shoot a couple of those wolves too
Old 08-26-2020, 10:38 AM

Seen as other are posting their 6x45, Here's my Cooper 6x45. 20", Swarvo Z5