Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-20-2020, 06:57 PM

Default Opinions on the weatherby vanguard

Ladies and Gents

I'm humming and hahing on what rifle to get that's chambered in a 257wby, and I've noticed the vanguard seems reasonably priced. What are your experiences with them?
Old 08-20-2020, 07:19 PM

I have a couple and they are accurate and well built. Some people dismiss them because they aren’t Weatherbys top of the line, but one thing I’ve found is that everyone I know who has actually owned one has had nothing but good things to say.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:20 PM

Default i have a Weatherby vanguard in 223

Hi: I have one and it is an fairly accurate rifle and an ok trigger. It shoots 1 inch fairly often at 100 yards with factory ammo.

I like the gun...it would be better with a detachable magazine.

Hoopi
Old 08-20-2020, 08:13 PM

My son has one in .270 that is accurate and pleasure to shoot. For around $100, he put a mag kit on it.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:19 PM

The vanguard first generation are pretty nice rifles. But in the magnums, the barrels are too short. Lose velocity. They were better with an aftermarket trigger job and a float and bedding job.
The second generations have a better trigger and are floated. I don’t care for the stocks too much but that’s my opinion.
I’ve found both accurate enough, 1.5-2” guns. I currently have a 240 weatherby in the 2nd gen and I used to have a 257 in the first gen. An affordable mkv synthetic came up in on a257 and I couldn’t resist.

Good guns for the money.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:33 PM

Have it in a 25-06. Have had it for 25 yrs. Really nice shooter. No complaints. Kills um dead lol
Old 08-20-2020, 08:55 PM
Banned

I had a couple vanguards In 300 wby
I liked them
They worked well for me
Old 08-20-2020, 09:02 PM

The best Vanguard ever built is a Nosler M48 Liberty!

Nothing special about a run of the mill weatherby Howa!
Old 08-20-2020, 09:03 PM

I’ve owned a few. Think I have two currently. One is in .257 and I really lucked out with it. Hand loads run right along with my customs as far as accuracy goes. An anomaly I’m sure but I’ll take it. Series 1 triggers are pretty gross and benefit greatly from an aftermarket. Series 2 are much better. For the money, I’ve found them to be excellent value for dollar. I’ve yet to have an absolute lemon. YMMV.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:14 PM

The Howa built Vanguards offer great value for the price. The ones that I owned were more accurate than my Mark Vs
Old 08-20-2020, 09:24 PM

I have a Back Country model in 257. The first and only Weatherby I've owned but would buy another without hesitation. I prefer the Vanguard over a synthetic stocked Tikka and would rate them together. Accuracy is excellent and I find it hard to beat factory ammunition with hand loads except for the cost difference of re loading. I did replace the trigger with a Jard which is a good upgrade for the Vanguard but not totally necessary.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:36 AM

I have one in a .270 win. I find it to be extremely accurate and for the price, more than suitable. It has shot several deer, its been on some unsuccessful elk/moose hunts. I put a Leupold scope on it. No complaints at all.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:08 AM
Banned

I had my 257 v2 24" for a few years now, any ammo i put through it shot 1" or less at 100yd. Synthetic stock is not pretty in any way but very comfortable to shoulder and shoot. I bedded my action to make it a true free float. With scope and ammo its a hefty proposition, but i prefer heavier rifles, my aim is steadier compared to ĺighter rifles. Just wish i went with a stainless version, less to thinker with during hunting season.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:34 AM
Banned

I have one in 243 for my son. Using handloads I've been able to shoot a group of 0.202", but consistently shooting about 5/8". The trigger could be better but its not bad at all. I haven't even looked to see how easy it is to adjust so it may get better without a swap.
Its a comfortable rifle for anyone that has shot it. Since it was for my son and he was young, it has the flaming deer skulls on the stock but I think a paint job or hydro dip will be coming soon. I may even rebarrel it for him to something a little bigger and then maybe I can have my rifle back when we go out, lol.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:39 AM

I bought one for IncrediGirl, and it's been great. Accurate, looks and feeds very well. Trigger is decent too.

Detachable mags can be sourced here:
https://www.canadabrass.ca/products/...-accessory-kit

Got it on a great deal from Wholesale before they closed out.

I have to confess, I've been using it myself from time to time.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:02 AM

Own a Howa (who manufactures Weatherby Vanguards) 1500 in .270. I like the rifle. Can shoot sub-MOA with the right ammunition. Tons/unlimited aftermarket potential if that's something you're interested in.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:36 PM

I have a few of em. 257 Gen 1..243 S2..30-06 deluxe ..300WBY stainless gen 1..all shoot under .75 for 3 shots at 100 yds. The 257 is a wood sporter model that has been 3 point bedded and free floated except for the last inch of forestock not counting the walnut forend tip. The 30-06 is bedded the same way.

The other 2 are 2 point bedded with completely free floating barrels. I love em and would like to get a 300- win mag stainless now just because because!!
Old 08-23-2020, 07:38 AM

Probably one of the rifles I will never sell, love mine
Old 08-23-2020, 09:46 AM

The ones I have shot have been great guns. If they made a lefty I would own a few. I also like the MKV because they come in LH and are a great hunting rifle so I am pretty much a fan of Weatherby anyhow. Howa makes a very good gun and built to the specs Weatherby asked for, the Vanguard is a lot of gun for not much money. I would put it in the same class as the Tikka.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:37 AM

Default Weatherby Vanguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jucebox View Post
Ladies and Gents

I'm humming and hahing on what rifle to get that's chambered in a 257wby, and I've noticed the vanguard seems reasonably priced. What are your experiences with them?

Having owned several Vanguard's in various calibres, I have success with every one if them.
Old 08-23-2020, 01:13 PM

I’ve had a .270 Winchester in a Walnut/Stainless configuration and I love it.
It’s been very accurate and very nice looking I think. I have a 3x9x50 Redfield scope on it and a big wide leather sling, so it’s heavy. But configuring a rifle that way you have to know it would be I guess.
I’d buy another in a heartbeat.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:42 PM

Vanguards are great rifles. Lots of positive reviews out there.

Now, before someone comes along (I can't believe they haven't yet) and tells you that the 257 Wby requires a 26" barrel,,...read this.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor..._031706/100524
Old 08-23-2020, 03:12 PM

I have a Smith and Wesson 1500, made by Howa, who also make the Vanguard - they're the same rifle.

Its a great rifle, chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. Its accurate with factory ammunition, has a large aftermarket for upgrades should you choose to, and dollar for dollar stacks up there with most entry to mid-level rifles.

If you don't need a magazine (some chamberings offer a DBM alternative) buy with confidence.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:38 PM

I have a Vanguard 2 in 257 Weatherby Mag.

Had to purchase this a few years ago because my son took a liking to my MarkV (also a 257 bee) and wanted to replace it "as a second gun" for myself.

It has since become my "go to" primary gun for a number of reasons.

It's really hard to complain about it. Sure the action isn't as smooth as my MarkV Weatherby's but it shoots as accurately as any of them, is a great gun and I am very happy with an "out of the box" rifle that shoots less than 1 MOA.

The trigger is adjustable and breaks nicely.

We bedded the rifle in a Boyd's laminate stock a few years ago and the accuracy improved even more (thanks for your help Dean2) and it shoots 3/4 MOA and I am not a "shooter" by any stretch of the imagination.

It's really hard to get a rifle that good for the price of a Vanguard. It really is outstanding.

The other thing to think about - there are very few people who have complaints with the Vanguard (outside of the look of the Tupperware stock really) - but the stock is, actually, very rigid and solid - so that's more cosmetic really - With reviews like that .... I really think that speaks for itself.
Old 08-23-2020, 05:15 PM

I have a Vanguard II in .223 heavy barrel out of the box stock shoots 3/4” groups trigger breaks clean At 2 1/2 lbs no complaints I would prefer a detachable mag those teeny rounds are hard to load
Old 08-24-2020, 06:39 AM

I have had a few ,all good shooters,fed well,nice action.Never cared for the plastic stocks,I bought Boyds and bedded them.They are a well built rifle,fairly easy to find aftermarket stuff for them.Think the first one I paid around $500 new and at the time their was nothing could compare for the price.
They are a little heavy but not bad to pack.
Afew years back someone had a sale on them($400 I think),I should have picked up a couple more.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:17 PM

Second rifle I ever bought was a vanguard in 30-06. Shot my first deer in montana with it. It didn’t have the typical Weatherby Monte Carlo stock which I always thought odd. Had a Nikon prostaff 3-9-40 on it. No complaints whatsoever on the rifle, it shot way better than I could at the time (probably still...) Only reason I sold it years later was to buy a P220 for work. Now that has come and gone too... I wouldn’t hesitate buying another one although I went down the suppressor rabbit hole so I try to limit myself to factory threaded barrels which eliminates quite a few rifles.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:29 PM

I took one on trade about 10 years ago, was basically brand new, in .300 WSM. I didn't like the way it fit me, the stock has its own character. Sold it to a young fellow, and he loved it. Got a beauty buck with it that season, and was so excited he didn't realize how badly he had scoped himself till the blood dripped off his nose....

But he kept it and swore by it, and took game every year. He moved back to ON but kept me posted on his hunts.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-24-2020, 10:42 PM
Banned

Lots of followers and you can get same rifles stamped Howa on them. Lots restock with McMillan Sako Classic and they sure do look sweet. Talley rings. Great set up. There was a thread on 24 hour campfire that had a bunch of them in McMillan stocks. Try and find it.✌️
Old 08-25-2020, 05:45 AM

Cousin has one, prior to the improved vanguard.

It functioned properly, was accurate. And recoil wasn't bad. His was in .270.

The new ones have improved magazine and triggers I think.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk