Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-08-2020, 08:55 AM

Default Sako Extractor on a Rem 700

Is there really that much benefit in changing a standard Rem 700 extractor to a sako style extractor?
Old 01-08-2020, 08:56 AM

Nope. Have a couple with that option, see no difference in ejection or reliability.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:04 AM

I know several gunsmiths who absolutely will NOT change Remington exctractors out for Sakos because of safety issues , yet I know some people that seem to think the opposite .
Personally I would not bother ....,
Cat
Old 01-08-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I know several gunsmiths who absolutely will NOT change Remington exctractors out for Sakos because of safety issues , yet I know some people that seem to think the opposite .
Personally I would not bother ....,
Cat
What safety issue are they thinking of cat?
Old 01-08-2020, 09:25 AM

The common concerns are the cut in the top of the bolt face would allow gases to escape and not be forced out the pressure relief holes if a case ruptured. Also concerns that the cuts weaken the bolt itself.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter View Post
What safety issue are they thinking of cat?
Dean2 explained in his post above.
Some gunsmiths ( Dennis Sorrenson for one) flatly refuse too do it from personal experience.
Cat
Old 01-11-2020, 12:00 PM

Smile Extractor rem. 700

Why do you think they still use it on all factory rifles??? Works reliably sine its intro in the 60"s. Never had an issue with one yet. Usually just the brass or some hot loads, but will extract.?? Money better spent on accessories, instead. !! JMO. K-C. !!
Old 01-11-2020, 12:43 PM

I did have one factory extractor fail on a 700, after less than 30 rounds. I had a Sako extractor installed on that rifle. A friend also had a factory extractor fail. As far as safety goes, many custom 700 clone actions use extractors that copy the sako or Ar design, so not having an unbroken rim around the case can't be a serious issue with that style of action.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I did have one factory extractor fail on a 700, after less than 30 rounds. I had a Sako extractor installed on that rifle. A friend also had a factory extractor fail. As far as safety goes, many custom 700 clone actions use extractors that copy the sako or Ar design, so not having an unbroken rim around the case can't be a serious issue with that style of action.
It has more to do with a case failure and injury to the user due to over pressure than an extraction failure because of the design of the Remington bolt head and gas relief, which could "turn the Sako exctractor into a missile" according to one gunsmith .
Injuries have occurred apperently and one fatality from what I have read from some very reputable gunsmiths .
I have Sako excerpts on two different bolt actions but neither are Remingtons , and the gas diversion system is not the same on them as the 700.
Personally speaking I would not bother changing one " just because" , but some people think the Sako is a better exctractor.
Cat
Old 01-11-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
It has more to do with a case failure and injury to the user due to over pressure than an extraction failure because of the design of the Remington bolt head and gas relief, which could "turn the Sako exctractor into a missile" according to one gunsmith .
Injuries have occurred apperently and one fatality from what I have read from some very reputable gunsmiths .
I have Sako excerpts on two different bolt actions but neither are Remingtons , and the gas diversion system is not the same on them as the 700.
Personally speaking I would not bother changing one " just because" , but some people think the Sako is a better exctractor.
Cat
I understand the concern that some gunsmiths have and I also understand that an improperly machined bolt can result in the sako extractor becoming shrapnel , as a result of an over pressure situation. But there are several virtual clones of the 700 action that use sako or AR extractors, and there doesn't seem to be an issue, so it seems to be more a case of the indivudual installation, than the design..
Old 01-11-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I understand the concern that some gunsmiths have and I also understand that an improperly machined bolt can result in the sako extractor becoming shrapnel , as a result of an over pressure situation. But there are several virtual clones of the 700 action that use sako or AR extractors, and there doesn't seem to be an issue, so it seems to be more a case of the indivudual installation, than the design..
Those 700 clones with the Sako extractors have different gas porting than the Rem 700 uses. The fully enclosed bolt face and gas venting Remington uses are designed to work together. If you change the fully enclosed bolt head you need to change the gas venting to account for that and the clones do. Can be done on a Rem action too if the smith really knows what he is doing.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Can be done on a Rem action too if the smith really knows what he is doing.

So you are confirming that it depends on the individual installation?
Old 01-11-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
So you are confirming that it depends on the individual installation?
Absolutely, I am agreeing with you. Guys that just stick in a Sako extractor aren't doing it right and are creating a dangerous gun if a case ruptures.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:08 PM
Banned

Tikka has used the sako style for how long now...70s? Since many are making variations of sako extractors it could also reflect in material, clearances etc. Sako on earlier models blocked the lug path with a rib.... The counterbore of the remington will also likely introduce different failure modes.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:21 AM

I have the Mini M16 stye extractor. I'd thought it was the best of all worlds. i'll have to look into getting it properly vented.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:49 AM

I had an extractor clip fail on an old Model 725. Those things are pretty well impossible to find now-a-days and the clip for a 700 will not work. Had to either replace the bolt or get the sako style extractor put in. The sako extractor worked like a charm. I read up on it quite a bit before I decided to go that route and found the opinions were mostly 50/50. No one had actually fail on them though. I feel like it's a much better quality set-up and a few gunsmiths I talked to said that it wouldn't compromise the bolt. To each his own.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
I had an extractor clip fail on an old Model 725. Those things are pretty well impossible to find now-a-days and the clip for a 700 will not work. Had to either replace the bolt or get the sako style extractor put in. The sako extractor worked like a charm. I read up on it quite a bit before I decided to go that route and found the opinions were mostly 50/50. No one had actually fail on them though. I feel like it's a much better quality set-up and a few gunsmiths I talked to said that it wouldn't compromise the bolt. To each his own.
I don't have the documentation but I believe Dennis Sorrenson does and he knows of at least one fatality where a bolt with a Sako extractor installed let hie and sent steel into the head of the shooter .
He explains on CGN why the extractor on the 700 should not be messed with .
I do not know if the bolt on a 700 is different than the 725 however .
Cat
Old 01-17-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I don't have the documentation but I believe Dennis Sorrenson does and he knows of at least one fatality where a bolt with a Sako extractor installed let hie and sent steel into the head of the shooter .
He explains on CGN why the extractor on the 700 should not be messed with .
I do not know if the bolt on a 700 is different than the 725 however .
Cat
No kidding eh? Thanks for the info Cat.The bolt is fundamentally the same, The recess for the extractor clip is a different size than the 700 though. If the extractor had failed on my 700 I would have replaced the clip but with the lack of options for the 725 I was caught between a rock and a hard place...