Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-15-2002, 12:54 PM
POL #

Default POL #

Well, I thought I would give it a shot and try to register my firearm "on-line".
Apparently my POL # is invalid. I just got the damn thing last Christmas (12 months processing time).
This is one hell of a system.

Incidentally, I checked over the "history of firearms control in Canada". It seems to me that everything was already in place to have sufficient control of firearms.
Why should anyone believe that the "new and improved" system will work when the previous laws on the books didn't??
What a wash. Are Canadians in major urban centers this inept or could it be lack of education?
All this because some wako by the name of Mark Lepine fell off his rocker.
Old 08-17-2002, 06:56 AM
POL

Default POL

The POL was meant to register all the firearms in your possession at the time and not to be used to register purchased guns after (pal). I have a cooey model 75 that been registered twice. First time was back in the forties when the original owner purchased and this year when I registered it. A lot of guys don't know that we have had gun registery in CANADA 3 times. First one was ended in 1921, second was during the second WW and this one that is a waste on tax money. cowboy
Old 08-21-2002, 10:53 AM
Kodiak

Default Re: POL

Did they give you a reason why your POL is invalid ?? The firearms you are trying to register legally had to be in your posession at the time of licence issue because you can't aquire any with only a POL. My understanding is that all firearms have to be registered before 01/01/2003. What am I missing here ??

Kod.
Old 08-21-2002, 12:30 PM
POL #

Default POL #

I didn't aquire any in the last 20 some odd years. Therefore I never needed a PAL. I do have a POL. I want a PAL.
There was no reason given over the computer.
Snail mail it may be. I only have one to register... Honestly.
Old 08-21-2002, 01:15 PM
Kodiak

I here ya Jodo, I had a FAC in the late 80's but only a POL now (applied for it on the last possible day) but have about 30 to register. Something doesn't make sense. If they sent you a POL plastic card but won't let you register, I'd be on the horn trying to find out the problem. A couple of us hunting buddies are booked into one of the courses offered so we can get a PAL now. Try to get an answer from them if you have enough time to sit on the phone. DON'T get one answer, try to get the same a couple times as I've heard you can get a different answer up to ten times. Then get it in writing.
What a joke.

Kod.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:52 PM
sirmike68

Default I can buy restricted guns now?

Recieved my PAL today in the mail and believe it or not the whole process only took about 6 weeks! I am now able to purchase non-restricted and restricted guns. Never took a handgun course but goes to show you little the gov. has on file.