Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-29-2020, 03:31 PM

Default Recommended gun and Caliber for getting into long range shooting?

I’ve got a fierce edge 270 wsm that I regularly shoot out to 600m. I would like to get another rifle for long range target practice. Most of the shooting would be off a bench. I would like to be able to shoot out to 1000 meters some day. I’ve been throwing around the idea of a .308 because it is cheap to shoot at roughly half the price of my 270wsm ammo. I’ve heard good things about the 6.5 creed more but u don’t know if I want to jump on that band wagon haha. Rifles I’ve been considering were the Ruger Precision, Rem 700 5-R heavy barrel, and even a savage. I know people love to hate on Savage but I’ve had good luck in the past. As long as the rifle shoots less than 1 MOA it’s probably a better shooter than I am.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:50 PM

The vast majority of the rifles you see on our 1K range are chambered in either 6.5 Creedmoor or 308 Win, with a smattering of 300 mags and 338 lapuas as well.
A few 7's, but mostly either 6.5Creed or 308.
In the Fclass world in F/O, you will see more different cartridges than the first two, but F/TR is 308 mandatory unless you want to get brave like me and shoot a mouse gun ( .223) way out there !
Most days I leave the mouse gun and my 6mmBR to 600 and inside however, and use the 308.
Cat
Old 08-29-2020, 03:52 PM

The first thing that you need to do, is to start handloading. You can make accurate loads far cheaper than buying factory loads. As for a rifle and cartridge, to be used off of a bench, I would look at a T-3 Varmint in one of the 6.5 chamberings. I have owned T-3 rifles in 6.5x55, and 6.5CM , and both were easily 1/2moa rifles as were two friends T-3 rifles in 6.5x55. And the T-3 does come with a very good trigger . I currently own a rifle in 6.5prc, and that would also be an excellent cartridge for long range.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-29-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Lublinkhof View Post
I’ve got a fierce edge 270 wsm that I regularly shoot out to 600m. I would like to get another rifle for long range target practice. Most of the shooting would be off a bench. I would like to be able to shoot out to 1000 meters some day. I’ve been throwing around the idea of a .308 because it is cheap to shoot at roughly half the price of my 270wsm ammo. I’ve heard good things about the 6.5 creed more but u don’t know if I want to jump on that band wagon haha. Rifles I’ve been considering were the Ruger Precision, Rem 700 5-R heavy barrel, and even a savage. I know people love to hate on Savage but I’ve had good luck in the past. As long as the rifle shoots less than 1 MOA it’s probably a better shooter than I am.
I had a savage 12f in 6.5x284 and it was lights out accurate
Old 08-29-2020, 04:16 PM

Here's a look at several different types of long range rifles owned by myself and a friend and all have made the trip to 1K, some of them every time they come out of the case.
from the left is a 22 pound Ruger No1 in 308, F/O rifle

second is a Sportco M44 in .223 Wylde, Palma match rifle ( iron sights) that is also equipped for a scope to shoot R/TR

Third is a 308 1917 Enfield Palma match rifle with A.J. Parker irons, this particular rifle was owned by the late Great George Farquarson himself before his eyes would not let him shoot irons and he invented Fclass.

fourth is a 1973 Model 70 Winchester target model, equipped for both F/TR or Palma match .It is set up at the moment with Redfield Palma match irons , they were not installed at the time of the picture, they were still inn the case.

Fifth is RugerNo.1 with a custom 27" Shilen barrel in 280 Remington.

Sixth is "rat gun", a Savage in 308 that was put together from gathered up used parts, and very accurate factory barreled shooter.

The last one is a Savage Palma match rifle that was rebarreled to 6.5 Creedmooor with a Prefit McGowan barrel, another very accurate Savage.
Cat
Old 08-31-2020, 09:27 AM

6mm cartridges have been taking over the game for the most part.
https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/...rifle-caliber/
Old 08-31-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
6mm cartridges have been taking over the game for the most part.
https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/...rifle-caliber/
The 6mm are popular in the PRS series due to lack of recoil and the ability to see where you shots are going from less than ideal shooting positions. Understand that vast majority of PRS targets are in the High 300's out to 850 range. Maybe one or two stages a day have targets past 1000. The 6mm do start to lag to the 6.5's out there.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:00 AM
Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9_PdbWqqY4

as a couple have said, tikka t3x ctr in 6.5 Creedmoor, number of vids running around will confirm similar, will easily stay supersonic to well beyond 1000m, good for reloaders and factory ammo shooters and will recoil in a similar weight rifle about 30% less than your 270 wizzum

you can also get into those small 6mm's and recoil energy's over 50-60% less but most are for reloader/re-barrel only build, limited magazine options...hornady just introduced a factory 6mm Shorty called the 6-ARC this year so it will be ages before the demand for all things 6-ARC will be such that we don't even hear about it around these parts for a few years i bet, with covid slow downs and a large usa appetite, it's gonna be awhile, but it will be the sub 10 ft/lb recoil energy choice for 1000m target work if factory rifles and ammo are more your thing than full custom...the easy button is that tikka in 6.5cm
Old 08-31-2020, 10:12 AM

The hype around the fast 6mm and 6.5’s is true when it comes to shooting long range, that’s why they’re used so much in prs or bench rest. They’re very forgiving if you don’t have good fundamentals. A .308 or .223 will get you out to 1000 or farther depending on a few things but they are two rounds that aren’t forgiving. They will teach you to read wind and will show you when you don’t do your part. So really any calibre will work that will suit you, your reloading or factory ammo decisions. It’s quite a worm hole once you get into it, I’ve been enjoying it for a while now.

A 700 would be a good platform, a tikka ctr would be better, lots of aftermarket chassis and such for tikkas now. For an optic, I know you didn’t ask but look at a nightforce shv in F-1.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:09 AM

I can't make any recommendation but I've been reading online reviews of the 22 Creedmoor. It's a wildcat, necked down from a 6 mm case, that has little recoil and reportedly can take down a coyote at 1,000 yards. At this point it seems like it would be an expensive calibre to get into but it sure sounds like it would be a fun round to shoot from a bench.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:09 AM

If not knowing what caliber or platform, one start would be looking at which rifles now have factory pre-fit barrels. Tikka has shouldered prefits that just torque up and done. As long as the bolt face fits the new cartridge. Savage has a good system, then the new expensive actions do the same. Look at something like those and you can swap out a couple time a year to play.

Most centerfire caliber will get 1000. All depends if you want to hunt game with it or cost per round or recoil tolerance. There is enough free ballistic apps that will tell you what to dial.

Biggest thing I found was not to be “scared” to shoot the 1000. Once you know what the drops are supposed to be and by 600yards you will know if they are correct. Try for distance....when you first start walking getting to the end of your parent’s arm reach was far, now to walk miles shopping isn’t difficult
Old 08-31-2020, 10:04 PM

I’m with elkhunter11, definitely look into handloading, if you don’t already do it. My long time shooting pal has had 2 savage 10tr’s, one 20” (sold) and one 24” (still around) barrel. His were / are 308’s, for the same reason you are considering it: cheap ammo. Here’s the thing: cheap ammo and long range don’t go together, at all. He used to get frustrated that my savage 10fcm scout would outshoot his 10tr’s. He asked me to teach him to handload, now I can’t come close to his 10tr. He found that he enjoys shooting accurate ammo so much more than cheap stuff because he gets way more hits.

Also, with handloading you can tailor the rounds to your rifles preference, such as powder charge, seating depth, etc. Federal gold metal match is good, but not as good as something tailored to your specific rifle.

As for the rifle itself, the Browning target or varmint models, Tikka target or varmint models, Savage target or varmint models are all good places to start. The downfall of Brownings (x bolts are my favourite bolt actions) being the aftermarket support isn’t as good as it is for other brands and the factory triggers do leave a little to be desired as well. I’ve taken two savage hunting rifles to 1000 yards, my 308 10fcm scout (with a 3-9 scope) and an axis 2 in 6.5cm (with the same 3-9 scope) both with handloads. I wouldn’t say I would have competed with either of them, but was pleased with the accuracy and repeatability considering that they are sporter barrels and using a cheap 3-9 scope.

If the rifle will mostly live on a bench, weight is your friend. It helps absorb recoil, which lets you spot your own shots. A threaded barrel and a brake also help in this department.

As for chambering, 308 wouldn’t be my first choice, personally. 308 is working pretty hard to keep up with any of the common 6.5’s (6.5cm, 260rem, 6.5x55, 6.5x284, etc) and especially 6.5prc (which is really more of a short mag type cartridge, so not an apples to apples comparison per say). 308 does however offer great barrel life, which should be a consideration. 6mm creedmoor or a fast twist 243 win or 6mm rem would be pretty competitive at long range (close to the 6.5’s bit with less recoil), but they take their toll on barrels (throat erosion). Some claim to get pretty long barrel life with 6mm dasher, maybe look into that.

Make sure you get some decent glass as well. Happy rifle hunting and keep us posted!
Old 09-01-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Lublinkhof View Post
Excuse the long post but I have a few questions and some points to make as a long range shooter and ex competitor of over 40 years.

What are the requirements of the rifle you are looking for?
Are you planning to compete or simply wanting to shoot steel for fun?
I have a friend who started shooting long range this spring.
We got him out to 1K several times with his Savage 10, but I told him he was going to have to change his ammo if he wanted to get consistent and learn how to dope wind better.
After Rob's course he improved tremendously , mainly because he learned how to use his scope better.
On the Sunday he put 3 consecutive hits on the 1K gong with factory ammo.
HOWEVER, as was already stated, the price of good factory ammo is danged expensive.
He now has a much better understanding of the requirements needed, and a $5000 rifle is NOT one of them, a shooter a rifle with good ammo that can hold 1MOA or better is required however, and good ammunition is the key to that .

The 308 is very popular these days for a couple of reasons.

1: good ammunition and components are easy to get.
It's easy to make good ammunition for the 308

2: A plethora of good new and reliability inexpensive used rifles are available in 308 that are capable of shooting consistently at 1K with the 308, with some rifles with barrels as short as 20"!

3: recoil is not a factor because most shooters are using some sort of muzzle brake these days

If you want to compete, then that is a whole different ball of wax because you must adhere to the requirements of the discipline you intend to compete in, but if you just want to enjoy shooting long and don't care about the rifles of certain match shooting, you can put together a great rifle /ammo combination for mot a lot of money- your pocket book is the main consideration in everything.
Cat
Old 09-01-2020, 08:13 AM

I wont comment on cal, but a Tikka Varmint is pretty hard to top value wise for what you are looking for. Trigger springs are readily available to make a good trigger great and there are all sorts of aftermarket goodies out there as well.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-01-2020, 08:29 AM

I have a Christensen arms mesa long range in 6.5 PRC, shoots into .265" at 100 yards, so far I have only taken it out to 600 yards and if I do my part it will ring the gong consistently.

Easy to reload and lots of good hunting and target bullets available in 6.5 that have a high BC. velocity for the most part is around 3000 FPS or a little under so not going to be a barrel burner, recoil is mild, mine has a brake so it's really tame.

Am sure it will carry on out to 1000 yds with ease but where I shoot 600 is max, am not into competition but rather just like spending an afternoon burning gun powder and ringing the gongs.

Whatever you end up with have fun

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The first thing that you need to do, is to start handloading. You can make accurate loads far cheaper than buying factory loads. As for a rifle and cartridge, to be used off of a bench, I would look at a T-3 Varmint in one of the 6.5 chamberings. I have owned T-3 rifles in 6.5x55, and 6.5CM , and both were easily 1/2moa rifles as were two friends T-3 rifles in 6.5x55. And the T-3 does come with a very good trigger . I currently own a rifle in 6.5prc, and that would also be an excellent cartridge for long range.
Exactly what he said.
Nailed it!

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 09-01-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I have a Christensen arms mesa long range in 6.5 PRC, shoots into .265" at 100 yards, so far I have only taken it out to 600 yards and if I do my part it will ring the gong consistently.

Easy to reload and lots of good hunting and target bullets available in 6.5 that have a high BC. velocity for the most part is around 3000 FPS or a little under so not going to be a barrel burner, recoil is mild, mine has a brake so it's really tame.

Am sure it will carry on out to 1000 yds with ease but where I shoot 600 is max, am not into competition but rather just like spending an afternoon burning gun powder and ringing the gongs.

Whatever you end up with have fun
My 6.5prc is a Christensen Traverse, and with the wider, flatter fore end than the Ridgeline, it is very easy to shoot from the bench. The Triggertech trigger certainly aids accuracy. I started with Hornady cases, but the volumes varied considerably, and the neck tension was inconsistent after only two firings, so I tried Gunwerx/ADG cases, and the groups tightened a bit more, to where it is easily sub 1/2 moa, and 3/8" groups are quite common at 100m. I did remove that obnoxious brake though, it was just too loud for my liking.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 09-01-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:11 AM
Banned

google 1000 yard benchrest and see what they are using. Should stop most of 308 win dreamers. 6 dasher, 6bra, 6x47.. bigger means more recoil as well. Hand loading gives premium results. If you don't handload getting a tuner installed shouldn't hurt.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:29 AM

Depending on budget here would be my take
Most important items

Quality rifle scope. It doesn't have to be expensive but does have to track 100% and give good clear sight picture. High Magnification is also NOT a must have. I have shot sub moa groups at 1000 with 10x

Quality range finder. If range is off dope will be wrong

Good spotting scope is very handy but not a must have right off the bat

Good ballistic software. And spend the time to learn how to use it

Ammo: good quality can be factory but has to be consistent ( factory get a pricy)

Rifle: any rifle capable of moa or better. Can be savage axis all the way up to 5k custom. Chambered in a decent caliber able to send heavy for caliber ( high bc ) bullets at decent velocity

Good front rest and rear squeeze bag

If on a budget look for a mid priced rifle ( rem 783, savage 10t from cabelas, Or ruger American type rifle) in caliber of choice (308, 6.5 creed) are good starting choices.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1 View Post
google 1000 yard benchrest and see what they are using. Should stop most of 308 win dreamers. 6 dasher, 6bra, 6x47.. bigger means more recoil as well. Hand loading gives premium results. If you don't handload getting a tuner installed shouldn't hurt.
"Dreamers"?? Hardly
How about Google FTR or Palma match , that will put a stop to everything BUT a 308 or .223 if you want to isolate a discipline .
Shooting at 1K does not have to invole Shooting off an expensive front rest and rear bag with a $3,000 scope and $5,000 rifle.
Cat
Old 09-01-2020, 12:35 PM

I likely went overboard vs what I could have spent, but, I got what I felt was a gun that had all the mods others were making to theirs in the research I did. I just wanted one for playing with on gongs or targets, in a non-competition scenario. I ended up with a Tikka TAC A1 in 6.5CM. It had all the stuff people generally add on already, at a price that came in about the same as what mods they'd done to theirs. Only things I added were extra mags, bagrider, Arca rail. Gun had what I wanted for options and features and build. Brass and bullets are common enough now, reasonably priced as much as anything is nowadays.
As it has a zero rail, used Burris XTR rings, versatile one for sure, they'll let me run the 6.5 til it runs out of steam, and then some.
But, I had already got my hunting guns sorted out, just wanted a range gun with a lot of the bells and whistles already on it.
I see Tikka has 3 guns in the series now, one with a plastic/composite stock between the CTR and TAC a1 , priced on the lower side of midway between them. Bergara HMR Pro has a lot of good features as well, and so does the Ruger RPR.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:11 PM

A Harris bipod and a sock full of airsoft pellets is all a guy needs
Old 09-02-2020, 10:20 AM

Instead of finding the technology to challenge that distance why not challenge yourself.

I am talking about a Pedesoli Sharps (or similar) in 45-70 with ladder sights. You won't get the same accuracy out to 1000 metres but it is fun to shoot and shows you what you can do.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here