Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-12-2020, 08:35 PM

Default .204 Ruger Drop Chart 32gr. Vmax

Currently was messing around with the .204 and always have a issue with the drop chart not being accurate. I took 5 shots at 400 yards and then realized that the advertised velocity is probably wrong for my rifle and area. I lowered the velocity in the Ballistics calculator until it match my 400 yard results. To my to my pleasant surprise my height was dead on at 500 yards.

For the 400 yard shot used the reticle and held over 1 mil. This was supposed to be 14.4inches low. I was more like 16.5 so I changed the velocity to match and using the scopes turrets dialed in 2 mil up and my shot 5 rounds. The next group at 500 which although being way off on my wind call was very close in height.

All factory rifle and ammo.

I’m no expert but if you input your information and data this should give you a close idea of where you will be for your drop chart. If your bullet is lower or higher just simply adjust the velocity in the ballistics calculator to match your results and this should get you real close.👍
Old 01-12-2020, 09:17 PM

If you were testing that theory today you are either tough or crazy I thought about a coyote call for all of 5 seconds. Lol. Thanks for sharing the data, 204 a neat little round!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 01-12-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
If you were testing that theory today you are either tough or crazy I thought about a coyote call for all of 5 seconds. Lol. Thanks for sharing the data, 204 a neat little round!
Stupid and Bord. Dressed up and walking 1000 yards everytime you want to setup, look at or retrieve a target, will warm you up.😅
Old 01-13-2020, 05:12 AM

Thanks for the report and follow up...…….not a bad group at 500 yards with that little pill....
Old 01-13-2020, 06:27 AM

Nice rig and good shooting, don't think you would have been bored enough to be out shooting in the 35km wind that we had yesterday here in Lloydminster, wow it was cold, -43 wind chill, colder than the mother in laws kiss

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:47 AM

I've sighted in my 204 in at 100 yards. Currently 40gr Hornady sighted in at 2" high at 100 yards. I also sighted in some 32gr V-Max and they printed dead on at 100 yards. Both shoot a little over 1/2" at 100 yards. Both factory Hornady ammo.

I wonder how the 40grs would do at that distance?
Old 01-13-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Nice rig and good shooting, don't think you would have been bored enough to be out shooting in the 35km wind that we had yesterday here in Lloydminster, wow it was cold, -43 wind chill, colder than the mother in laws kiss
Ya I’m that stupid. I was hunting yotes at -35 with no windchill.🤪

I plan on trying some 40 vmax when I get a chance so I’ll let you know. Might do a vmax , Blitz, Nosler comparison in the future with all factory ammo.

I tried 3 boxes of 40 blitz and they didn’t like me but with the amazing reveiws I see with them, I will try them in the future again. I have had great success’s with vmax and Nosler bt. Was using the Nosler in my tikka but traded it for this Rem 700 and find the Nosler and blitz hard to get in our small town. Hornady are usually easy to find anywhere.