Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-12-2018, 08:56 AM

Default Give me some ideas on getting land owner contact info!

I have a decent amount of permission in my target area this fall, and it will most likely be more than enough to fill my tag with a good buck. That being said there are a few chunks of land that I know hold good bucks and that I can't find any contact info for. Canada 411 doesn't have the info, unoccupied land, not farmed in many cases, the neighbors don't have the contact info or are unwilling to share for privacy concerns etc., or simply know the owner but don't have contact info.

I typically try and fill my permission binder with as much contact info as possible even if I don't intend to contact everyone. I'd rather have it at my fingertips than google search from my phone in spotty cell coverage if I happen to see an animal I want to take.

From what I understand a land title search doesn't provide a phone number or really much more information than the landowner map, and would start to add up on cost.

I've even looked for names on social media with very limited success.

Does anyone have any other wild ideas on tracking down some contact info?
Old 07-12-2018, 09:33 AM

I-hunter app and then purchase county or MD maps
It also lists grazing contacts when u hit on them with name and phone number for free
Old 07-12-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Hunter View Post
I-hunter app and then purchase county or MD maps

It also lists grazing contacts when u hit on them with name and phone number for free

It will give u the private owners name but no contact info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2018, 10:39 AM

Exactly I've got a few quarters around my place I've been trying to get permission 4 years not fenced not posted not anywhere near a home quarter if someone does Noah way to how to get a hold of a landowner that would be great thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2018, 11:03 AM

I understand what you are trying to do,,,, and I applaud you for wanting to know,,, but would you want your contact info readily available to hustlers, con artists, scammers and,,, camo clad rambos with guns?!!!!
Old 07-12-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
I understand what you are trying to do,,,, and I applaud you for wanting to know,,, but would you want your contact info readily available to hustlers, con artists, scammers and,,, camo clad rambos with guns?!!!!
I agree privacy issues are a real concern but there has got to be a way to determine how to contact a landowner, if only to leave contact info and have them return my call if permission was a possibility.

Invasion of privacy is not the intent, only the legal and respectful access to their land.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
I agree privacy issues are a real concern but there has got to be a way to determine how to contact a landowner, if only to leave contact info and have them return my call if permission was a possibility.

Invasion of privacy is not the intent, only the legal and respectful access to their land.
Again,,, I applaud on your effort and respect "your respect",,,,, but there may be a very good reason you cannot find that info,,, that is the landowners really don't want to be easily contacted for various reasons. If the land is farmed, (grazed or cultivated) the renter is considered a legal occupant.

Land agents run into this all the time. And they do the kinds of things you are already doing!!!
Old 07-12-2018, 12:35 PM

you can pull a land title from the govt of AB website. I believe they cost $10 bucks or so and it will give you the LO info
Old 07-12-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
you can pull a land title from the govt of AB website. I believe they cost $10 bucks or so and it will give you the LO info
That may be my next step. I spoke with my land agent at work and she said that the SPIN2 info is not much more info than what's on the landowner map but I'll probably end up trying it out to see if it's any value.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:57 PM

You can use the Spin2 web site and do a title search. I had to do this last year on a piece of land. It is really scary the kind of information that was made available on that search... anyways, I got the land owners first name but still couldn't find his number. But with the info from the title search I was able to get a hold of one of his relatives who gave me his number. Turned out to be a really nice old retired farmer. Permission granted.

You could try asking the county office. But depending on who you talk to they normally won't give out personal contact information.

Good luck
Old 07-12-2018, 02:55 PM

Talk to the neighbours they all know each other
Old 07-13-2018, 08:01 AM

Permission has been extremely hard to get these days.Last few times have resulted in freaked out land owners when they first approach the door. I understand why, with the amount of on going rural crime. I wonder if it would not make things more comfortable if you could call prior to going out. I used to prefer doing it all in person. Collared shirt, clean shaven it does not seem to help much, people are very cautious of strangers. However, Its the only thing that can be done if you are looking for permissions.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:16 AM

County offices SHOULD have all that information. If you are looking for grazing lease info, I found a great website that has contact information for all the grazing lease in Alberta.

https://maps.srd.alberta.ca/RecAcces...ewer=RecAccess

It takes a little bit of work to figure it out but it is very useful.

Y'all can pay me later....

Last edited by smith88; 07-13-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:12 AM

Yes grazing lease information fairly easy to get they have a few sites it's the private landowners that's the hard part of trying to find who owns a quarter of land

Old 07-13-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
Permission has been extremely hard to get these days.Last few times have resulted in freaked out land owners when they first approach the door. I understand why, with the amount of on going rural crime. I wonder if it would not make things more comfortable if you could call prior to going out. I used to prefer doing it all in person. Collared shirt, clean shaven it does not seem to help much, people are very cautious of strangers. However, Its the only thing that can be done if you are looking for permissions.
Asking for permission this far in advance of hunting season can illicit that kind of response. Hunting seasons aren't necessarily on the mind of many landowners at this time of year, so they may very well think you are "casing out" their place.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Yes grazing lease information fairly easy to get they have a few sites it's the private landowners that's the hard part of trying to find who owns a quarter of land

I believe county offices have landowner maps. In a case where the land is owned by a numbered or named company, I have found contact information from the grazing lease they also own adjacent to the deeded land.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:03 AM

Yes I have the landowner maps on my ihunter app but when it just shows a name and no other quarters around yeah how do you know where to look

Old 07-13-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Asking for permission this far in advance of hunting season can illicit that kind of response. Hunting seasons aren't necessarily on the mind of many landowners at this time of year, so they may very well think you are "casing out" their place.
I dont start asking yet. I try to ask first week of August. Archery hunting.
I also enjoy shed hunting however and that results in asking permission earlier in year.

At any time of year as soon as I drive down a back rural road people often believe you are "casing". I can be as upfront as clear as possible to my intentions. It just happens, I understand it, I accept it. Its just unfortunate the crime has resulted in this.

EDIT: And even worse is that what I hear from landowners is that criminals are using a hunting pretext to case the places.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
I knocked on a lot of doors last fall when scouting for geese, and I dodn't have any issues. Although I was turned down twice by landowners that don't allow hunting, permission was generally easy to get. I did have one situation where the landowner was not as easy to contact, but after a few calls to people with the last name listed on the county map, I contacted the widow of the name listed on the map, and she put me in touch with her son that now farms the land. Even when I was turned down, people were polite, and didn't freak out. When I asked for repeat permission, it was granted without hesitation.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I knocked on a lot of doors last fall when scouting for geese, and I dodn't have any issues. Although I was turned down twice by landowners that don't allow hunting, permission was generally easy to get. I did have one situation where the landowner was not as easy to contact, but after a few calls to people with the last name listed on the county map, I contacted the widow of the name listed on the map, and she put me in touch with her son that now farms the land. Even when I was turned down, people were polite, and didn't freak out. When I asked for repeat permission, it was granted without hesitation.
Im asking for permission mostly in 212 and some 312. Unfortunately the recent experience has not been the same. People are perfectly friendly after I introduce myself and explain why i am bothering them, Its just initial contact. Last time I was out I had a landowner release his 2 large brindle bull mastifs as soon as I stepped from the truck. I am a dog owner and stayed calm but I would think that could have been a ugly situation. Again after a quick conversation things were fine.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Of the contact I have made, all have been positive and no one has accused me of contacting too early. In fact, of all the contact I have made, I have been granted permission on all property (many of them I knew from previous hunting seasons as well). When I ask for permission now, it's not only to hunt, but to also give a heads up on my vehicle make and plate number as I fully intend to be scouting for game from the public roads, which involves driving slowly, stopping frequently and glassing. To a landowner who has not been contacted, this could easily be misinterpreted for casing out a place for a break in.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
County offices SHOULD have all that information. If you are looking for grazing lease info, I found a great website that has contact information for all the grazing lease in Alberta.

https://maps.srd.alberta.ca/RecAcces...ewer=RecAccess

It takes a little bit of work to figure it out but it is very useful.

Y'all can pay me later....
County office will not give out the information for privacy concerns. I've been lucky in the past and been able to find private land info from the lease website, but unfortunately where I plan to hunt, it is virtually all private land. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old 07-13-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
County office will not give out the information for privacy concerns. I've been lucky in the past and been able to find private land info from the lease website, but unfortunately where I plan to hunt, it is virtually all private land. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Cypress County down by Medicine Hat has maps for the whole county that have the name(s) of the owners of all the land. I don't think it is a privacy concern as it is public information. Many other counties do this as well.

http://www.cypress.ab.ca/content/maps-0
Old 07-13-2018, 01:51 PM

Smile Landowner names

I have purchased landowner maps in the past. Typically if you get a hold of the neighbor of the unknown landowner they can give you some insight into who owns it and where they live. I have tried googling names, 411, and landowner maps. Usually a combo of all of these gets results.

DaveF
Old 07-13-2018, 02:23 PM

Here is a link to all the county maps that Map Town in Calgary has for sale. Pretty extensive.

http://www.maptown.com/Alberta_Count...aps_s/2326.htm
Old 07-13-2018, 03:08 PM

Most county's now have county maps on their web sites you can download and print. Also, I believe there is thread here somewhere with a copy of most of the county maps in Alberta.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:03 AM

For what it’s worth, you’re sounding like you deserve to keep going down this path because your intentions are good and you deem yourself to respect the land owner, but at the end of this quest, the landowner may not appreciate the effort you put into finding them. Privacy is a safety thing. Respecting privacy may be the greatest respect you can show a landowner.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
For what it’s worth, you’re sounding like you deserve to keep going down this path because your intentions are good and you deem yourself to respect the land owner, but at the end of this quest, the landowner may not appreciate the effort you put into finding them. Privacy is a safety thing. Respecting privacy may be the greatest respect you can show a landowner.
Yes, that is a fair point as well, but impossible to know unless contact is made. I think I have exhausted all reasonable efforts so I guess I just need to hope the hunting gods are on my side and put the big boys on the land I have access to.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayNay View Post
Most county's now have county maps on their web sites you can download and print. Also, I believe there is thread here somewhere with a copy of most of the county maps in Alberta.
x2. The zone I plan on hunting this fall involves 4 counties and I found 2017/2018 landowner maps on the respective county websites for all 4. I colour printed off the areas I want to hunt.....
Old 07-17-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
x2. The zone I plan on hunting this fall involves 4 counties and I found 2017/2018 landowner maps on the respective county websites for all 4. I colour printed off the areas I want to hunt.....
I have access to all the landowner maps and I know the name of the person who owns the land. The part I have been unsuccessful with is finding contact info for the known landowners.