Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2020, 10:03 PM

Default So is it wrong to......

There’s MILES of river.... but buddy and his chum zip right into the next hole no less than 30 feet away from me upstream.......

Is it wrong foe me to lob a rock into their hole and claim it was a big fish rising......

Just asking

...... I’d never do that.......
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-03-2020, 10:43 PM

It’s crowded this year for sure. Pain in the ass . But fishing just wouldn’t be that much fun if you start a fight. Plus you never know who your dealing with. I’m going fishing tomorrow and I already know there going to be some BS to contended with. I will get up early and hopefully get a couple of hours in before the dip ****z show up. Hopefully you caught a few fish. I love it when you catch a nice fish right in front of those bone heads.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:46 PM

It’s crowded this year for sure. Pain in the ass . But fishing just wouldn’t be that much fun if you start a fight. Plus you never know who your dealing with. I’m going fishing tomorrow and I already know there going to be some BS to contended with. I will get up early and hopefully get a couple of hours in before the dip ****z show up. Hopefully you caught a few fish. I love it when you catch a nice fish right in front of those bone heads. Mind you I grew up in Southern Ontario. Shoulder to shoulder fishing was a real turn off. Got to see some serious fights. Blood drawn and all. No knives though.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
There’s MILES of river.... but buddy and his chum zip right into the next hole no less than 30 feet away from me upstream.......

Is it wrong foe me to lob a rock into their hole and claim it was a big fish rising......

Just asking

...... I’d never do that.......
Maybe they’re scared of bears!

BW
Old 07-04-2020, 06:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Strip down and go for a dip....they will move on.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-04-2020, 08:42 AM

Me? I would just apologize to them, like a good Canadian. Then move to a different spot.

(kidding!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Strip down and go for a dip....they will move on.
I change my vote - I would do this! I'm sure it would be effective! The sight of my pasty old carcass would make those guys scramble for the hills.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:29 AM

Its crowded and everyone feels that they are entitled to fish the water because they had to travel for hours to get there. Some courtesy when fishing is like "Common Sense" there are few that have it but the majority of people are touched, or need to be touched with a big rock to drive the point home.

And it's getting worse because people are bored of sitting at home for the past couple months and haven't socialized with 35people in the past 24hours
Old 07-04-2020, 12:04 PM

Default So is it wrong

It’s amazing how many ignorant people are out there. Many are just plain dumb. They don’t care about fellow anglers who were there before them. If I was there and had caught a few fish, and someone came up to me and asked if it would be ok to give that pool a try, I’d say for sure, and probably help them to get a few fish for themselves. Unfortunately not many people share these courtesies.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
It’s amazing how many ignorant people are out there. Many are just plain dumb. They don’t care about fellow anglers who were there before them. If I was there and had caught a few fish, and someone came up to me and asked if it would be ok to give that pool a try, I’d say for sure, and probably help them to get a few fish for themselves. Unfortunately not many people share these courtesies.
So true. Some friendly communication goes a long way. You might even make a friend out there and get to share a few casts before one of you moves on... if you’re willing to have that little chat. But the cold shoulder high holing that goes on out there is enough to make someone rage... even on a nice day out fishing.

They’d say “You don’t own the river” and they’d be right. They’d also be a chump for thinking they’re entitled to your spot... or worse, fishing upstream of you the rest of the way.

I’d start with explaining “Hey maybe you’re not a regular around here but what you just did right there isn’t what we’d consider polite river etiquette.” If they ARE a regular then you just took them down a peg (which they deserved) and if they honestly didn’t know any better they’d apologize and move along.

If they’re ignorant about it, well that’s a free pass to get petty. And when it comes to getting petty, call me Tom. Throw rocks in the pool, whatever it takes.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:52 PM

If you cough a lot and claim to have a fever and feel sick but “it’s probably not covid”, I’m sure people will move on 👍🏻
Old 07-04-2020, 02:55 PM

Default Fishing hole

Put on your oilers hat. They will leave.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Ok so we have the solution for you Bessie......strip down....put on oilers hat....start a coughing fit....go for a dip.

Oh and your welcome

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-05-2020, 11:32 AM

‘Sasquatch is an Oiler fan’

Local headline
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-06-2020, 12:13 PM

There is so much water to fish, that run-ins like this, should be easy to avoid. Humans are lazy though

I started fishing like I hunt elk..........fish the remote sections that take effort to get to. Sure you lose rod time on the water, but the eager fish make up for lost time. There are some extraordinary places in this province, just have to take the time. Solitude is just as important as catching fish for me

And it gets me in shape for elk season.......win/win