Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 04:20 PM
Banned

i like ballistic tips/a-max/eld-m type for slow cartridges, fast cartridges accubonds
Old 07-13-2020, 04:49 PM

Accubonds!
Old 07-13-2020, 05:48 PM

Default Hit the nail right on the head 👍🏻👊🏻

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Barnes TSX/LRX/TTSX
Couldn’t agree more
Old 07-13-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Nice try. I never said no such thing. Go back and read it again, only slower this time. Why not go all out and say I was advocating the use of the 17 Hornet on big game? LOL
Oh come on now. You just finished telling us all how you have killed 2 of everything with just about every cartridge and bullet combination ever made, then one upped that with how a vmax blew thru 3/8'' of steel. What exactly were you trying to say? Maybe type slower and proof read lol
Old 07-13-2020, 09:06 PM
Banned

Xp3
Old 07-13-2020, 09:54 PM

Nosler LRAB for me if I had to pick one to do all.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:56 PM

I like the idea of casting my own bullets. Once I have a mould I have an endless supply.
Barnes is one heck of a bullet. Thats what I would load up for my daughter for big game.
Most shooting i do lately is with 22 rimfire or 22/250 and for varmints and I dont need premium bullets for that.
So to answer your question. If I had to limit myself to one bullet for big game i would get a 45/70 style cartridge and cast bullets for it. The reason is you can afford to shoot it a lot. This is better than having a rifle with expensive ammo that you can't afford to shoot much
Old 07-13-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
I like the idea of casting my own bullets. Once I have a mould I have an endless supply.
Barnes is one heck of a bullet. Thats what I would load up for my daughter for big game.
Most shooting i do lately is with 22 rimfire or 22/250 and for varmints and I dont need premium bullets for that.
So to answer your question. If I had to limit myself to one bullet for big game i would get a 45/70 style cartridge and cast bullets for it. The reason is you can afford to shoot it a lot. This is better than having a rifle with expensive ammo that you can't afford to shoot much
The question however sax one bullet for BIG GAME not for all shooting .
I don't use hunting bullets at the range unless I am shooting my hunting rifles ,and even then I do not shoot all mono metal hunting bullets ,I practise with cup and vote bullets .
Cat
Old 07-14-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Oh come on now. You just finished telling us all how you have killed 2 of everything with just about every cartridge and bullet combination ever made, then one upped that with how a vmax blew thru 3/8'' of steel. What exactly were you trying to say? Maybe type slower and proof read lol
Nice try. I was just pointing out that the very epitome of a frangible bullet (one meant to blow up) still went though a lot of steel. bullets do not splash on the hide of a game animal.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Nice try. I was just pointing out that the very epitome of a frangible bullet (one meant to blow up) still went though a lot of steel. bullets do not splash on the hide of a game animal.
Tell that to the porcupine @20 yards when I hit him with a big old Imperial silver tip (180gr.) bullet out of a 30-06, when I was a kid. Velocity is not always your best friend, nor are soft bullets at close range.... Just as a hard bullet is no good when the velocity drops below a certain level...

Shooting at a 1000 yards requires a totally different bullet then one at 100 yds.

All will work, the majority of the time..but all, will fail at some time!
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:27 PM

Ok, the only way I would be down to one bullet for large game is because SHTF. In which case I burn off all my good stuff and am left with the SKS, cause I have 1400x3 if them. So my answer is 123 gr FMJ.

But until that day comes, I gravitate to Nosler partition. Last year 180 gr in 300 WM did the trick for me.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:50 PM

Nosler accubonds or the swift a frame.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:58 PM

Been happy with Partitions. I don't see the point in not using a premium bullet as most of my hunting has been done in areas where there are moose or elk or bears all in the same area as I hunted deer, or sheep for that matter. There again my target stuff is mostly shot with a gun I bought for that purpose, for which I buy bullets designed for that purpose. About the only other bullets I would consider hunting big game with are Barnes or H-mantels or Swift A-Frames. Spend all that time and effort and money to go hunting, why skimp on a bullet, that may not accomplish the purpose, when a bone shot or hard quartering is all you have, animals do move on you once in a while too, turning a nice shot into a shot that needs a tougher bullet. Not saying others won't do it, just that they might not, and that is reason enough for me to spend a bit extra and develop a load with a good bullet I know I can trust to do what needs doing.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:08 AM

Remington corelokt

.30-06 150gr

Honestly found accubonds to be good value and have shot them.

Partitions and tsx cost 50% more.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I was present to a bull moose being shot with frangible bullets last year. The results were very disappointing. Four hits with frangible bullets did very little damage, the follow up shot with a different rifle and projectile did all the work. Frangible bullets are like magic on deer sized game. They are a poor choice on the heavier stuff. Like I have mentioned in a previous post, Accubonds would be my choice for an all around bullet. Partitions would get a nod as well.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I was present to a bull moose being shot with frangible bullets last year. The results were very disappointing. Four hits with frangible bullets did very little damage, the follow up shot with a different rifle and projectile did all the work. Frangible bullets are like magic on deer sized game. They are a poor choice on the heavier stuff. Like I have mentioned in a previous post, Accubonds would be my choice for an all around bullet. Partitions would get a nod as well.
What was the caliber bullet combo?
Old 07-15-2020, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I'd say pizz poor bullet placement!
Old 07-15-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
What was the caliber bullet combo?
130gr Berger out of a 6.5x47 Lapua for the first 4 then a 130gr Hornady SST out of a 264 Win Mag for the one that did all the work.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
If it was poor bullet placement I would not have referred to it as a poor choice of bullet but a poor choice of impact.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Have you ever shot a Moose?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-15-2020, 12:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Have you ever shot a Moose?
A few of them.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
This and your subsequent posts are not acceptable. There are a number of us that have now posted first hand accounts of bullets splashing or coming apart too soon and failing to penetrate deep enough to make a killing shot. To make your post, and ones made by others along the same lines, you are effectively saying we are either incompetent, can't see what was right in front of us, or are outright liars. You have no basis on which to make any of those claims, this is pure and simple Trolling. Bog off! your input is not wanted or helpful.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
A few of them.
Then you should know better.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-15-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
6 suspensions / infractions for trolling and insulting forum members will typically earn you a one way ticket out of here. You had to go for 7. Choices have consequences.

Folks, if all you do is think you are smart by trolling threads, and stirring crap with what you think are "quick zingers", find a new forum to do it on, as you won't last long around here. This kind of crap is just not needed.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
6 suspensions / infractions for trolling and insulting forum members will typically earn you a one way ticket out of here. You had to go for 7. Choices have consequences.

Folks, if all you do is think you are smart by trolling threads, and stirring crap with what you think are "quick zingers", find a new forum to do it on, as you won't last long around here. This kind of crap is just not needed.
There is a common ailment on the AO forum. Maybe this will help explain it.

https://www.verywellmind.com/an-over...effect-4160740
Old 07-15-2020, 02:14 PM

Thanks SNS2. Being a mod around here seems to have become more work since Covid. I really do think cabin fever is a big problem but RZR was a problem long before Covid. He will be no loss.

Back to original programming.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:13 PM

1 bullet? With cost a consideration, Hornady Interbond. Same construction as Accubonds, less$$, but harder to find.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
There is a common ailment on the AO forum. Maybe this will help explain it.

https://www.verywellmind.com/an-over...effect-4160740
Indeed. I had never heard of this, but yes, it seems many sufferers spend an inordinate amount of time on forums. LOL.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:09 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

first it has to be accurate out of the rifle....Barnes , partitions, a frames, probably leading towards a Barnes TSX BT.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...