Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-25-2013, 02:36 PM

Default Reviews on 7-mm mag and ammo?

i might be buying a 7-mm Mag but i'm just not sold on it yet, those who have one or have shot one, what would you recomend? and Is the 7-mm Magnum ammo hard to come by?
Old 08-25-2013, 02:38 PM

And what about the original 7-mm? whats the difference and the pros and cons to both?
Old 08-25-2013, 03:07 PM

FWIW, I have both the .270 WIN. and the 7mm Rem Mag. The .270 will do the same job as the 7mm RM with less cost and less recoil. 7mm RM ammo is easy to find everywhere because it's still very popular. All I ever use is the standard Remington Core Lokt or Winchester PP and never any of the special premium cartridges out there. Works fine for me when hunting deer and moose in Alberta. I use mostly 150gr or 175gr but if you handload there are way more bullet weights available. 7mm WSM? I wouldn't get one because of the higher cost of ammo unless you really need a short action gun.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:27 PM

The 7mmremmag is one of the best all purpose big game hunting cartridges for use in Alberta. Ammunition is very easy to find at most vendors.

Quote:
And what about the original 7-mm? whats the difference and the pros and cons to both?
Which original 7mm? Are you referring to the 7x57, or are you assuming that there is a cartridge designated "7mm"?
Old 08-25-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The 7mmremmag is one of the best all purpose big game hunting cartridges for use in Alberta. Ammunition is very easy to find at most vendors.
Hate being agreeable but he's right. This is a fantastic long range round, I've used one in 1000 yd bench rest, and easily hit the 2" x 2" gong at one mile shoots. Loading your own ammo will improve its capabilities.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:58 PM

I shoot a 7mm Rem. Mag with a muzzle brake. Ammo is easy to come by and with the muzzle brake I can shoot all day and that is with a reconstructed shoulder against the butt.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:09 PM

Mt tikka t3 in 7mm rem mag puts 140 grain nosler partitions into wee little holes at 200 yards. Installed a limb saver on it and its quite comfy too shoot.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:04 PM

I shoot a Browning x-bolt 7MM RM as my sole rifle for big game hunting in the mountain WMU's where I hunt 90% of the time. I chose that over the runner-ups (30-06 and 270 wsm) since its a flatter shooter than the 30-06 and the ammo is more affordable and available than the 270 wsm. If I didn't hunt in the mountains I may have chosen a calibre with a little less mass and recoil, but I like the fact that I can walk around know I can handle any predators around me too (provided I get the rifle up and shots off properly, I know, I know...).

Does the calibre kick? You bet. If you're at a target range expect to notice it in your shoulder after about 5. The Browning comes equipped with a very good recoil pad but make no mistake, the 7mm RM is a big boy. If you're experienced with guns, you'll know your tolerance for recoil. If you don't, I'd shoot one first before you invest in one so as not to be disappointed.

As far as ammo goes, I'd guess 7mm RM ammo trails only 30-06 as far as wide-range availability and options go. You can expect to pay anywhere from $20 per box up to $70 a box, with the average probably around $40. If you buy one, buy a few boxes of different types (after researching them first of course) and see how your groupings are. I've had to remind myself that certain bullets are designed for hunting some some for target shooting, since they perform differently. Also, 1 MOA is plenty good for a hunting choice, don't destroy your wallet trying for records right away.

The "other" 7mm you refer to I assume is the 7mm-08. I don't know much about it. It doesn't shoot as flat as the mag, but is comparable in the short to medium shots, and knowing your gun is more important than knowing its "flat" anyways. I do know that many manufacturers can get the mass of their 08's down pretty low as this calibre seems to be the choice of many sheep hunters. If you carry long distances and have some difficult country to push, an 08 will be the lightest rig you can find and still cover off most game effectively.

Both good guns if you ask me. Like I said, its currently my only calibre, so I'm a believer.

Best of luck. Let the group know what you got if you do make a move.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:20 PM

I have had one for years, got all around Alberta gun.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:27 PM

Excellent cartridge, jackrabbit is correct with respect to the 270. In my opinion the 7 has the advantage of being able to use heavier bullets if you need or want to.

The 7 mag is pretty much all I hunt with these days and it has performed very well for me. No moose yet but lots of deer and elk.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
Hate being agreeable but he's right. This is a fantastic long range round, I've used one in 1000 yd bench rest, and easily hit the 2"x2" gong at one mile shoots. Loading your own ammo will improve its capabilities.
How much could it possibly improve if you can it a 2 inch by 2 inch target at a mile lol
Old 08-25-2013, 09:46 PM

I like mine , yes it kicks but it's more barrel lift than recoil . Course I've been shooting 303 ect since I was young . Pretty good all round caliber for anything here
Old 08-25-2013, 10:24 PM

I have a 7 mm Rem mag as well in a Sako 85. I love the cartridge and it is super accurate. The recoil doesn't bother me since I put a limbsaver on my gun. I also have a 300 win magnum that is heavier recoiling than the 7 mag. I use 150 grain bullets right now and I am very happy with the results. I would have no problems using the 7 mm Remington Magnum on any game in Alberta. I have no problem finding bullets, I have found the cartridge in small town Alberta and Saskatchewan.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:37 PM

A 7mm Rem Mag is a fine choice. because that's what I have.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:39 PM

I've used a 7mm RM in a Remington 700 Classic for the past 20-25 years. I only seem to feel the recoil at the range. Don't really feel it when out in the bush. Adrenaline and winter clothing may be factors.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghunter88 View Post
origional 7mm mag and what?
Old 08-26-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
origional 7mm mag and what?
The question still remains as to which is the original 7mm. I get the impression that the OP is thinking that "7mm" refers to an actual cartridge, which it does not. The 7mmremmag is probably the most popular "7mm" cartridge in North America, but it certainly isn't the "original 7mm".
Old 08-26-2013, 10:04 AM

Have had my 7mag for years, Love the caliber. Like others have said ammo is easy to find, even have a decent choice at can tire or wallyworld. Beside id rather be shooting a .284 then any .30 cal
Old 08-26-2013, 07:59 PM

Yes, sorry i thought there was a general 7mm. I was a little confused but its all figured out now due to the replies from you guys thanks. Im a 17 year old kid that weighs 150lb so i think i might go with a .270 wsm. Thanks allot for all your replies and knowledge as it has helped me substantially.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, sorry i thought there was a general 7mm. I was a little confused but its all figured out now due to the replies from you guys thanks. Im a 17 year old kid that weighs 150lb so i think i might go with a .270 wsm. Thanks allot for all your replies and knowledge as it has helped me substantially.
If Recoil is your concern, I don't think that you will notice the difference between the 7mm Rem Mag, and the 270 WSM...I shot a 7mm at 14 tipping the scales at a buck fifteen, wasn't that bad...you might want to try some before you buy, if you have pals who are willing to let you shoot theirs. Just saying. I think you will be happy with either the 7mm Rem Mag, or the 270 WSM though. Both are excellent choices, and you CAN find ammo at Canadian tire for the WSMs these days, not much variety though compared to the 7RM...
Old 08-26-2013, 09:47 PM

7 rem and 270 WSM will feel quite similar. Ammo is easy to find for the 7 pretty much anywhere.

I say go for the 7. You won't be disappointed. Put a pachmeyer decelerator pad on it if you are worried.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:45 AM

Default .270 WSM and 7MM Rem. Mag.

The 7MM REM. MAG. is still my cartridge of choice for most of my hunting here in Alberta. As I have stated many times before, the happiest days of my life (hunting life) were with a 7MM in my hands. I will never be able to duplicate such success with any other cartridge. Since I'm starting into my early 60's the .270 Winchester gets used quite a bit. It would be much easier to find ammo for the 7 than for the .270 WSM though.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:52 PM

Even though I like my 300 win mags, I would say you would be hard pressed to beat a 7mag. Great bullet selection, mild recoil when compared to any other magnum, seems to make animals stop in there tracks. Never owned one but I would be lieing if I said that I hadn't considered it more than once.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 08-28-2013, 11:30 AM

I own 3 7mm's best calibre around
Old 08-28-2013, 11:43 AM

7mm Rem Mag is a sweet do all cartridge that I don't own only because my current guns don't leave a void for it to fill but my dad uses his on everything with Barnes TSX 160 grain bullets (Barnes Vortex factory ammo) not too big not too small....perfect IMO
Old 08-28-2013, 02:00 PM

I have a Savage 110c in 7MM RM. I have shot it a few times and like it, I have not hunted with it yet.

Personally I would not reccommend the 7MM RM as a cartridge to a 150lb 17year old. I think you would be better served with a 7mm-08 or maybe a 270 win, not WSM. Find a rifle that fits you that has a good recoil pad, buy some cheap ammo to get yourself shooting. Wear good ear protection.

All that said maybe you are a very accomplished shooter and able to handle what the 7RM can dish out. If that is the case go for it! Ammo is not that hard to find for it at all and it is plenty of gun for Alberta.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
IMO that's pretty much the same gun, except you'll pay more for the WSM ammo and you're restricted to 140-150 grain bullets I think. Weight and age don't mean much with kick tolerance. Other guys, more experienced than me, have already said try some guns first if you can.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:26 AM

7 Rem Mag is a great round. Last two deer I took were between 300 and 330 yards and didn't make it more than 10 ft after they were hit.

As for ammo, I've got huge improvements in grouping by reloading, but the best factory stuff for my a-bolt was Federal Fusion, and that includes the expensive premium ammo.

Tags
7-mm, magnum, rifle