Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-08-2019, 01:53 PM

Headed to kitimat at the end of the month. What’s the chances of the big salmon being around the 30 pounder plus?
Old 07-08-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Headed to kitimat at the end of the month. What’s the chances of the big salmon being around the 30 pounder plus?
Are you looking for a crystal ball or palm reader to answer? Fish follow water currents and food. Afaik salmon dont follow a set itenary.

Nobody in their right mind will definitively say yes they will be there because if they arent you will call them a liar leading you on a wild goose chase lol.

Go. Try. Let us know how it was. I'm doing the same in Ruoery next week.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-08-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Dave has a handle on what is going on down there. Good luck! Sounds like fun.
Thanks Jamie.
And, no thanks on going with Dave. Been there done that...
I'm going with Wade Dayley from BearCove. I'll be sure to provide a full report when I'm back.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Of course they want to fill the freezer! Spending $3-$4k to go whale watching???
No, 3-4K for the experience. Do you go hunting strictly to fill the freezer? Do you take every doe, cow elk, cow moose tag you can get your hands on? Thats what he is talking about.

I 100% get what he is saying. I think that strictly Catch and release trips might be on the horizon from these lodges. It should come at a reduced rate I would assume as they won't have to pay for packaging. A small. expense I know but still part of it.

For me personally, I am happy with a single box of fish but there was a time that I didn't think the trip was a success unless I brought home 3 box's (150 pounds) . (No limit on Hali size and 2 day/3 in pos). Your millage may vary. Glad you had a awesome trip.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Are you looking for a crystal ball or palm reader to answer? Fish follow water currents and food. Afaik salmon dont follow a set itenary.

Nobody in their right mind will definitively say yes they will be there because if they arent you will call them a liar leading you on a wild goose chase lol.

Go. Try. Let us know how it was. I'm doing the same in Ruoery next week.
Wondering about traditional runs, time of the year, what’s running this year compared to last. Thanks though Ken!
Old 07-08-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Wondering about traditional runs, time of the year, what’s running this year compared to last. Thanks though Ken!
Ruoery? Wow autocorrect sucks on a phone.

RUPERT.

I reread that, and missed the on the phone, it was not meant to be miserable but may have come that way, sorry about that.

The biggest I have ever caught have all been in May.
Halibut are where they are, time of year doesn't matter other than they move to the mouths of the rivers apparently to hoover dead spawned out salmon.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-08-2019, 08:39 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
... Noel Gygers website is still impossible to read for me. I find it extremely confusing. I think that would also be a good source of information if that website was any where near easy to figure out.
LIKE!!!

Like we's talking the epitome of CHAOS!!!
Old 07-08-2019, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
LIKE!!!

Like we's talking the epitome of CHAOS!!!
I told Noel while having coffee YEARS ago that his site was impossible to figure out. He told me I didn't know what I was talking about. LOLOLOLOL

I think his daughter runs it now and I see our own Amber Serbin is doing something with him.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, 3-4K for the experience. Do you go hunting strictly to fill the freezer? Do you take every doe, cow elk, cow moose tag you can get your hands on? Thats what he is talking about.

I 100% get what he is saying. I think that strictly Catch and release trips might be on the horizon from these lodges. It should come at a reduced rate I would assume as they won't have to pay for packaging. A small. expense I know but still part of it.

For me personally, I am happy with a single box of fish but there was a time that I didn't think the trip was a success unless I brought home 3 box's (150 pounds) . (No limit on Hali size and 2 day/3 in pos). Your millage may vary. Glad you had a awesome trip.

When I want to fish for the expirience I head to the Fraser for some sturgeon. If the salmon are running I’ll usually bring home a couple but it’s not a deal breaker by any means. I only get to fish the salt every 4 years or so, so if I’m going to spend a few grand on a trip I take every 4 years, and being that I love to eat fish, I try to bring home as much as I can. If I was local and went out a few times a year it would be different.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:37 AM

Heading to fish skidegate inlet for a few weeks at the end of July. We’ve been making the trip for the past 17ish years and it has yet to disappoint (besides a few boat problems here and there.... knock on wood)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:42 AM
AO Sponsor

I really think at this point in the Chinook salmon fishery/etc, we have no choice but desperately need to create a very large number of fish hatcheries on all the river systems.

Many people oppose such an idea, however our fish populations cannot continue to support the mass amounts of commercial indian nets in the rivers plus out of control predator species in addition to native sustenance fisheries, sport fisheries, and commercial fisheries. Oh yes, we can't forget the international commercial fishers with their modern weapons of mass destruction.

Do we want fish or are we too holy?

At this juncture, federal governments won't act to fix the problems, predators, predators and more predators, plus in river commercial annihilation of our spawning stocks, even if they want to, seeming to fear everybody except the sports fisheries.

So we put hatcheries everywhere to ensure commercial fishing continues, sport fishing continues, and so that the natives can also even catch more to their hearts desire, AND IN DOING SO, hopefully more fish make it to the spawning grounds and/or hatchery operations.

What say you?
Old 07-09-2019, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
I really think at this point in the Chinook salmon fishery/etc, we have no choice but desperately need to create a very large number of fish hatcheries on all the river systems.

Many people oppose such an idea, however our fish populations cannot continue to support the mass amounts of commercial indian nets in the rivers plus out of control predator species in addition to native sustenance fisheries, sport fisheries, and commercial fisheries. Oh yes, we can't forget the international commercial fishers with their modern weapons of mass destruction.

At this juncture, federal governments won't act to fix the problems, predators, predators and more predators, plus in river commercial annihilation of our spawning stocks, even if they want to, seeming to fear everybody except the sports fisheries.

So we put hatcheries everywhere to ensure commercial fishing continues, sport fishing continues, and so that the natives can also even catch more to their hearts desire, AND IN DOING SO, hopefully more fish make it to the spawning grounds and/or hatchery operations.

What say you?
2 on every river and one on every creek. BUT, each fish needs to be marked 20 years of mandatory head turn ins with clipped fish should give a really good idea of where these fish go and what environmental issues not only help but hurt the different stocks. Tripple the cost of the fishing licenses if you have to. Hammer the commercial guys with a Surcharge, hit the lodges up as well. Just make it effective.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:57 PM
AO Sponsor

I think that would over-complicate matters, all the testing. These people either can't manage fish, or don't want to, it seems.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:14 PM

I was in Nootka last week and by far the best fishing in the last 5 years for me. released over 30 plus Chinook on the one Saturday alone. 24.2 lbs was our biggest ( and the derby winner i might add) with countless double headers...usually i get beat up, battered and bruised from the weather but was never so happy to see the dock and have a beer. Ill be back in Aug for 2 weeks.

Good luck boys.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:44 PM

We will be heading to French creek on the island in a couple of weeks. The in laws live close by. Gonna try one of the local charters. We've never gone on one of these trips. We'll have fun either way but hopefully we have good luck.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:42 PM

just got back from winter harbour and absolutely smashed it. full limits for all four of us. big hali and ling too. biggest spring was 25lbs and lots of coho
Old 07-16-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:

What say you?
Not sure what it's like in other Hatcheries, but the one in Kitimat at least they only clip 10% of hatchery chinooks (confirmed by 2 different employees that work there). Said that they don't have the manpower to clip all the fish so only 10% gets it. When you catch a non-clipped chinook, it can very well be a hatchery chinook. For me, this was the best chinook year in the 3 years I've lived here. There were so many chinooks jumping in the river systems it looked like they were coho.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Low. The kitimat system gets only a spring run of chinooks. The ones I've been catching lately are all dark and don't put up a good fight anymore and they will be few and far between in the channel. Read the regs - you're not allowed to catch chinooks past July 31 in the Kitimat and even right now there are very few chinooks coming in. Too early for coho but the pinks/chums will be in full swing. Either that or you can try your luck up in the Skeena. GL
Old 07-17-2019, 07:16 AM

Are there any hoops you need to jump through for a 1 day fishing license in BC? I know the answer is online. Looking for first hand experience advice.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:18 AM

Heading to Nootka for 3 days fishing in a couple weeks. First time ever where I’m not running the boat. It should be a great trip. Tough getting a big fish on the inside these days but we’ll be fishing the outside quite a bit so the action should be good and a better chance of getting a decent sized one.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Are there any hoops you need to jump through for a 1 day fishing license in BC? I know the answer is online. Looking for first hand experience advice.
Not really. Are you looking for Salt water stuff? Just remember to get your Salmon Stamp as well.

Tidal waters is Federal
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/...ation-eng.html

Non tidal is provincial.

I hope you can find more time than just one day.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Not really. Are you looking for Salt water stuff? Just remember to get your Salmon Stamp as well.

Tidal waters is Federal

Non tidal is provincial.

I hope you can find more time than just one day.
I'm calling to book today so I'll ask. The last company I called pretty much told me to find all that info out on my own. Not the answer I was hoping for lol
Old 07-18-2019, 11:19 AM

I went out fishing a few weeks ago with steve through island pursuit sport fishing in comox and we were only out for maybe 3 hours and had a blast with a few double headers too. it was pretty good fishing! never fished salmon before but he said they're on fire there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fish2.jpg (79.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg brag.jpg (56.9 KB, 72 views)
Old 07-18-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I'm calling to book today so I'll ask. The last company I called pretty much told me to find all that info out on my own. Not the answer I was hoping for lol
Just go online at
It's quite easy and straight forward and doesn't cost much more to get a full year in case your dates get postponed.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_On_Fishing View Post
I went out fishing a few weeks ago with steve through island pursuit sport fishing in comox and we were only out for maybe 3 hours and had a blast with a few double headers too. it was pretty good fishing! never fished salmon before but he said they're on fire there
Looks like you had a great day to start out your salmon career ! doesn't come much better when you have sunshine, flat water and willing salmon !!!!!
Old 07-20-2019, 12:40 AM

We have caught over 80 salmon already, another week to go. No tyee yet and coho are slim, springs are everywhere

Old 07-20-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_On_Fishing View Post
Steve is the man! Hes been hammering fish all summer.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:17 PM

Default Newton cove

Just got back from 3 full days at newton cove and was great. Limits of springs and coho. biggest was just over 25 and a 36 came in on another boat. Ended up with 60# of fillets each with a group of 4. Third time out there and service was excellent and extremely accommodating. Already rebooked for next year.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
We have caught over 80 salmon already, another week to go. No tyee yet and coho are slim, springs are everywhere
Hopefully the big northerns show up on time or even a little early. We are heading out Aug 25 this year to try our hand at casting to the coho along the kelp beds and use some lighter gear. Will be a new experience for us as we normally go end of june for big springs, depending on the tides.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:15 AM

One of the members' daughter from here caught 2 springs over 30 lbs today. I gave her 1 my tyee pins, great day.
We have released over 200 salmon, I kept 4 springs, 2 coho 1 ling. I caught my first ever big ling finally, was reeling in a rockfish and all of a sudden the line got real heavy. A huge ling inhaled the quillback on the way up! I have heard of this, never saw it before.
I kept track of every good fish we caught, logged it on paper and on the chartplotter. Depth time of day weather lure flasher etc.
Tomorrow wraps it up, hoping to get a couple coho.
It sucked throwing back 30lb springs today, but it was also very cool.