Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-01-2019, 09:33 AM
Banned

Default West coast Chinook

I see Rupert area is sucking again. Tyee test fishery is showing 30% less than last year and last year was horrible. This could come close to the absolute worst year on record. Oh how I wish they would try and fix this.

It's going well over in Sandspit with limits and looks like Serengeti is off to another ok year. Interested to see how the central coast does this year.

Anyone going anyplace?
Old 07-01-2019, 12:05 PM

I’ve been out the last two mornings in Campbell River. Fishing was good here a week ago but the last two days we landed one 13lb Spring, a couple Wild Coho and a handful of 4-6lb Springs.

There are not a ton of boats out but I haven’t heard or seen another decent Spring landed.

In 4 weeks I’m headed to Nootka for 3 days fishing so things should be good there by then. Or at least as good as they’ve been the last 10 years over there which hasn’t been that great...
Old 07-02-2019, 06:08 PM

The guys I know running out of Comox have been doing well. Hes actually running a "brag board" C&R contest until July 15 to win a free charter. I've seen him post plenty of days where they are releasing 20+ chinook and 10+ Coho (2 lines) in a 5hr charter.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:20 PM

Looks like Langara Island is fishing strong.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-02-2019, 10:00 PM

Day three in Campbell River. 4 Springs 5-7lbs. 1 Wild Coho.

We never saw a decent Spring landed and out of the half dozen guides that we knew and talked to there has been very little happening.

If fishing is still that good down Comox way I’d stay there because it’s not happening here right now.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:18 PM
Banned

Talked with a guy to of Massett today. Nothing much happening. Limits on the west side, Langara is good as well.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:18 PM

They know exactly how to fix it. Just let the nets hang across all the rivers for a couple more years, and there won't be a problem at all. The easiest way to catch fish is to wait until they come to spawn, then indiscriminantly kill everything, ensuring there are no returns. No more disputes, no more whining or fighting. And then the special groups can move onto the next genus to extinct, a win in the bag.
Super easy.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-03-2019, 12:37 PM

Heading to Port Hardy 3rd week in July for a couple of days and stopping off at Port Alberni to a day on the way back home. Looking forwards to it!!
All new outfits I haven't fished with before.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Day three in Campbell River. 4 Springs 5-7lbs. 1 Wild Coho.

We never saw a decent Spring landed and out of the half dozen guides that we knew and talked to there has been very little happening.

If fishing is still that good down Comox way I’d stay there because it’s not happening here right now.
Just checked and looks like Steve has put over 100 fish in the boat the last 3 days combined. 80% springs...lots of smaller ones (sub 20lbs) but a few descent ones too. Yesterday they had 24 chinooks and 2 coho in 3 hours.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:52 PM

A few pictures he posted from the last 3 days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1562201337696.jpg (52.8 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1562201376198.jpg (54.4 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1562201436553.jpg (56.9 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1562201414986.jpg (49.9 KB, 244 views)
Old 07-03-2019, 07:06 PM

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...926013492.html

Fresh Frazer River Salmon - $20 (Hope B.C)
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

Hi there, we're happy to report we have fresh Spring Salmon available for sale by the pound @4.00 dollars per. SOCKEYE have arrived and are 20.00 dollars each. Text if possible or email.
show contact info
Ask for Chris or Ashley.
Let's make a deal. Larger orders can get a reduced price per fish
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 6926013492

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-06-2019, 11:28 PM

Salmon runs Are way better in Rupert this year than last... Nice size Coho showed up earlier, and the size of springs are much better this year than last...
Old 07-06-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I see Rupert area is sucking again. Tyee test fishery is showing 30% less than last year and last year was horrible. This could come close to the absolute worst year on record. Oh how I wish they would try and fix this.

It's going well over in Sandspit with limits and looks like Serengeti is off to another ok year. Interested to see how the central coast does this year.

Anyone going anyplace?
4 days ago I landed the 23rd Tyee for the season in my boat... Compared to 6 over 30 lbs last year I’d say the Tyee numbers are WAY up for this year... Not sure where you get your Info...
Old 07-07-2019, 01:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by surhuntsalot View Post
4 days ago I landed the 23rd Tyee for the season in my boat... Compared to 6 over 30 lbs last year I’d say the Tyee numbers are WAY up for this year... Not sure where you get your Info...
Straight out of the Tyee test fish.https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/f...fm?fsub_id=585 I cant understand how you wouldn't know about something that has been running since 1955??? The fish that are headed up the Skeena are having the worst year down 1/3 from last year. No mention of size, just pure numbers. Glad your having such a great year cause that net sure isn't having a good one. Get some pics up!!
Old 07-07-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
That sounds consistent with Langara reports. Nice work
Old 07-07-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Straight out of the Tyee test fish.https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/f...fm?fsub_id=585 I cant understand how you wouldn't know about something that has been running since 1955??? The fish that are headed up the Skeena are having the worst year down 1/3 from last year. No mention of size, just pure numbers. Glad your having such a great year cause that net sure isn't having a good one. Get some pics up!!
Soooo, are you actually fishing or just reading netting reports?
Old 07-07-2019, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Soooo, are you actually fishing or just reading netting reports?
This is a thread about all over the coast and sharing info. Netting reports are extremely reliable about specific rivers. This is not about Billy Bob and his Uncle down on the docks. But guides actually doing it are amazing resource.

If Sirhunts is killing it, that's AWESOME. But doubtful they are Skeena fish.
I am hearing Langara is ok, but not exactly on fire.
West side of Charlottes is doing slightly better than last year.
Masset is doing ok and better than last year. Lodge owner there suggested running to Langara.

Another good reference point is Lodge reviews.
https://haaneenaa.com/about-us/blog/ (These guys are Rupert based but almost strictly around Dundas)
Eagle Pointe is not running a Update and either is Dolphins north. Noel Gygers website is still impossible to read for me. I find it extremely confusing. I think that would also be a good source of information if that website was any where near easy to figure out.

BUT perhaps the best source of info I have is the actual people cutting the fish in Rupert and in Haida Gwaii.

Last edited by Jamie; 07-07-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
But guides actually doing it are amazing resource.
Another good reference point is Lodge reviews.

https://haaneenaa.com/about-us/blog/ (These guys are Rupert
As far as I'm concerned, some are good, some aren't.

And a blog from 23-Jun. Pretty much long since old for the coast.

I get to find out in 2 weeks. Hoping for great fishing
Old 07-07-2019, 06:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, some are good, some aren't.

And a blog from 23-Jun. Pretty much long since old for the coast.

I get to find out in 2 weeks. Hoping for great fishing
Snap, everything is old. Lodge based reports must be taken with a grain of salt and mastering the art of reading between the lines is everything. No one really speaks of the days where its just a nice boat ride or the weather is so tough that the rain is actually coming up, not down. True, I have seen it!!

Where are you headed??? I keep wanting to go out to the west side of the QCI but thats not looking possible right now. Those flight cost just make my stomach turn over. Maybe central coast in august???
Old 07-07-2019, 07:20 PM

Our group of 12 caught 1800lbs of fish including bottom fish near Rupert. Best year ever. Guides said it's a record year.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:56 PM

Stupid work I still don’t have a set date on heading to the salt my boy is asking every day when we’re leaving.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Were these TYEE caught on a row boat with wood carved lures that's the only true TYEE lol.
And I know who's report I'll be paying attention to lol.
See you soon buddy I can't wait to get there save a few big ones for me
Old 07-07-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinO View Post
Were these TYEE caught on a row boat with wood carved lures that's the only true TYEE lol. :
The name Tyee came long before row boats or wooden plugs made the name famous. Plus everyone knows the best rowing plug was actually made of plastic.🙂

CR is back to what it was a few weeks ago. No monster fish but lots in the teens right now. Too bad we leave for home tomorrow.☹️
Old 07-07-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Did you even bother to look through tyee numbers back to 2011? Fear mongering last year as a bad year, when it was actually better than, if not on par over the years in almost the last decade.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Did you even bother to look through tyee numbers back to 2011? Fear mongering last year as a bad year, when it was actually better than, if not on par over the years in almost the last decade.
In answer to your question, I look at numbers going all the way back to the beginning of this test fish. 1955 or so.

Admittedly, in my mind I was using the numbers from 17, not 18. I didn't take close enough notice of the year. HOWEVER, your explanation and this chart seem to show 2 really different things. Take what you wish if you think last year was average year. Last year was 100% described as a failure by most people in the area but may have been influenced by the no retention and therefore no effort given. . It sounds like a different run has shown up this year though. Skeena is still WAY WAY WAY down from your 10 year average. in 2017 it came very close to being the worst run on record. This year is in the same ball park so far. This may be the second worst year in your 9 years of averages. and very close to the all time lowest run up that river. Last years numbers are hard to quantify as there was 0 retention for most of the season. As well, I am speaking only of Chinook, not Coho or perhaps you are speaking of pinks? Not that it matters though. Take a look at the reports.

http://www.noelgyger.ca/H2O/Non-Tida...k2017&2018.pdf

Some thing else to chew on as well
http://www.noelgyger.ca/H2O/Non-Tida...inookYears.pdf

Remember though just because the Skeena is empty, doesn't mean that other rivers are not hitting their strides. A good guide will still make it a enjoyable day.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:08 AM

Default West coast Chinook

Quote:
Snap, everything is old. Lodge based reports must be taken with a grain of salt and mastering the art of reading between the lines is everything. No one really speaks of the days where its just a nice boat ride or the weather is so tough that the rain is actually coming up, not down. True, I have seen it!!

Where are you headed??? I keep wanting to go out to the west side of the QCI but thats not looking possible right now. Those flight cost just make my stomach turn over. Maybe central coast in august???

Headed to Port Hardy and Port Alberni. Posted it earlier in this thread,

Anyways, you posted the link and admit yourself to use a grain of salt. That is exactly what I’m doing with this entire thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2019, 11:28 AM

Taken from Island Pursuit Sportfishing Facebook page.

BRAG BOARD CHALLENGE UPDATE:

As many of you have noticed the fishing has truly been fantastic. Most days have been what guests dream of and expect when paying to go fishing.

Fun fact: If you have come out with me before you will have heard that we believe really good fishing is a fish every half hour on average. 45 + is slower and gets me squirly and if its 20 - 15 mins that's awesome and doesn't get much better. While this year to date the average fish per hour has been 1 every 6:56 mins for all our charters combined!!! which is unheard of!

Some of our top numbers are:
28, 22, 25, 42, 40, 41, 25, 17, 24

Chinook Retention opens July 15th and from then on we are almost fully booked. We have one week left to rack up some more numbers. Fish spots totally alone and have them bitey. I'm sure the spots will be pretty crowed the last half of the month.

Give me a call and come have some fun, guests have still been going home with plenty to eat.

Thank you to all my sponsors who have made this fun!
Old 07-08-2019, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Headed to Port Hardy and Port Alberni. Posted it earlier in this thread,

Anyways, you posted the link and admit yourself to use a grain of salt. That is exactly what I’m doing with this entire thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave has a handle on what is going on down there. Good luck! Sounds like fun.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
Our group of 12 caught 1800lbs of fish including bottom fish near Rupert. Best year ever. Guides said it's a record year.
This right here is one of my biggest issues with coast fishing. Im not bashing the OP in any way because it is 100% legal, however the majority (not all but majority) of people who head out to the coast, go out with the "fill the freezer mentality" and it has to stop. I realize salmon are on a 4-6 year cycle, but bottom fish are not. If people keep treating it as a catch and kill fishery, including salmon, it is going to keep going down hill. Look at what the fishing is now in Alberta and even parts of Saskatchewan (and other provinces). Just because you are legally allowed to keep a certain amount, doesn't mean you should. I would 100% be ok with a full commercial, first nation and recreational reduced limits to 0 salmon. I would keep going out every year during prime big chinook time even if all I could do was catch and release everything.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
This right here is one of my biggest issues with coast fishing. Im not bashing the OP in any way because it is 100% legal, however the majority (not all but majority) of people who head out to the coast, go out with the "fill the freezer mentality" and it has to stop. I realize salmon are on a 4-6 year cycle, but bottom fish are not. If people keep treating it as a catch and kill fishery, including salmon, it is going to keep going down hill. Look at what the fishing is now in Alberta and even parts of Saskatchewan (and other provinces). Just because you are legally allowed to keep a certain amount, doesn't mean you should. I would 100% be ok with a full commercial, first nation and recreational reduced limits to 0 salmon. I would keep going out every year during prime big chinook time even if all I could do was catch and release everything.
Of course they want to fill the freezer! Spending $3-$4k to go whale watching???