Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-04-2013, 11:30 AM

Default summer burbot techniques

Anyone want to share some summer burbot tehiniques?

I've always fished them in the winter, never the summer. Wouldn't mind some tips on where to find them in the summer
Old 08-04-2013, 01:41 PM

They have not gone anywhere. Just fish em the same way, low light or dark.

It is just so much easier through the ice mainly because it gets dark before 6 and you can catch a good number without staying too late. This time of year they won't even start to bite till close to 10 so it makes for a real long night and some lakes wont allow you on after sunset, ie: Crawling Valley, Mcgregor and Traverse. Plus it helps if there is a light at the boat launch for returning in the dark.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:21 PM

thanks for the info.. So about the same depths as winter? 20 feet deep, soft bottom, smelt on a hook on the bottom?
Old 08-04-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
thanks for the info.. So about the same depths as winter? 20 feet deep, soft bottom, smelt on a hook on the bottom?
as close to the bottom as you can get
Old 08-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Gone Hunting

It's been years but what we used to do was bait a few lines, set them out and camp for the night. Checking every few hours to see if we had a fish on.

We caught most fish around 2:00am to 5:00am.
It was not exciting fishing but it put meat on the table. And for a couple or ten teenage boys it was an adventure to be cherished.
And we caught some of our biggest Walleye on those lines.

The setup was simple.
First we took 30 to 50 feet of cotton fishing line, like this;

It had about a 50lb breaking strength. We needed it that strong because of the way we anchored it.

To this line we attached a foot or so of rabbit wire (for a leader)and a 6/0 to 10/0 single hook, and a 4 oz +/- weight.

This was baited with chicken gizzard or beaver meat, then tied to a large rock or log along the shore and cast as far out as it would go.

Next we would make camp and settle in for the night. Checking the lines whenever we ran out of stories to tell, or when we needed to leave the campfire to water the flowers.

It was a crude form of fishing and a lot of fun.

I can still hear the gurgle of the water and the sad thrill of the Thrushes as the sun went down.

Good good memories. To bad we last all of our old photos when our house burnt down. I think many would find them very interesting.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-13-2019, 02:30 PM

Bringing this old thread back up to the top, KegRiver's comments make me think that using a Hawaiian style dunking rig might be pretty effective, right down to the surf pole. Find a place that gets deep quick, cast out, lock the rod into a rod holder with a bell. Grab a lounge chair, blanket and a bunch of patience!
Old 07-13-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Bringing this old thread back up to the top, KegRiver's comments make me think that using a Hawaiian style dunking rig might be pretty effective, right down to the surf pole. Find a place that gets deep quick, cast out, lock the rod into a rod holder with a bell. Grab a lounge chair, blanket and a bunch of patience!
We'd do it much the same as KegRiver when fishing in the Peace River. A spark plug or similar for a weight. A big hook and a chunk of chub or red meat. We'd tie it to the end of a 4' or so willow pole that was jammed into the bank. You'd cast straight out by hand and the weight and bait would bounce downriver a little till it settled on the bottom. When the pole twitched and the line went downstream, you knew you had one. Caught walleye, pike and bull trout on the same rig. Water is murky most of the year so still fishing was where it was at.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:40 PM

Other than the pole, you're mostly describing a dunking rig which is a weight tied to the end of the line and a bait tied slightly above. It's then cast out, the line tightened and put into a beach rod holder. Unlike Hawaii though, we can't pull out a whipping rig rod and keep ourselves occupied lol. The rules are so different for ocean fishing they seem foreign to me.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:51 PM

They aren’t as active in summer and will be in deeper cooler water. If you can find them just need to jig on the bottom similar to winter. The hard part is finding them though. I have only had decent summer burbot fishing once.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:01 PM

I was surprised yesterday when a small burbot hammered my spoon at about 4pm while river fishing. I may have to try a baited hook on the bottom and see what happens. Winter is definitely easier.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDR View Post
I was surprised yesterday when a small burbot hammered my spoon at about 4pm while river fishing. I may have to try a baited hook on the bottom and see what happens. Winter is definitely easier.
While everyone says that burbot go to the deepest hole in the lake for the summer, all the summer burbot I've ever caught have come out of rivers, generally not from terribly deep water at that.

Jig and minnow or bait on the bottom, seems like I've seen more come out of the Athabasca river than anywhere else.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
While everyone says that burbot go to the deepest hole in the lake for the summer, all the summer burbot I've ever caught have come out of rivers, generally not from terribly deep water at that.

Jig and minnow or bait on the bottom, seems like I've seen more come out of the Athabasca river than anywhere else.
Rivers flow and have less thermal stratification then lakes.

The one time I had good summer burbot fishing was in 50-80 fow fishing for lake trout. When fishing that deep for them they usually don't survive though. They appear to swim back down but lots end up floating back up a bit later.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Rivers flow and have less thermal stratification then lakes.

The one time I had good summer burbot fishing was in 50-80 fow fishing for lake trout. When fishing that deep for them they usually don't survive though. They appear to swim back down but lots end up floating back up a bit later.
True that, but I've caught them in areas where I wouldn't have called the water particularly cold either. In fact at times I would have described the water as pretty darn warm.

Not questioning whether lake burbot go deep or not, just sayin' there are better ways to catch summer burbot than jigging in 50' of water, which seems to be the usual advice.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:41 PM

I'm considering a dunking rig and sand spike plugged into the 'beach', a bell, a lounge chair, a blanky, and star gazing on a clear night. Tip the rig with either a leach or a worm on a bare hook.

Running a slide bait would be pretty cool but that requires 2 rods and I'm not about to debate with a CO on the fact that both rods are being used to present a single bait. Some things are better left untested LOL
Old 07-15-2019, 05:12 PM

downstream from a weir (legal distance) or outflow, deep, smelts, anytime of day though night is more productive.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:13 PM

I've caught them in the night from shore and from a boat. From shore, I just tie on a slip sinker rig with a big chunk of herring or a big smelt and chuck it out as far as I can. From boat, I use glow spoons with chunks of herring.