Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-29-2014, 11:54 AM

Default Suggestions for project gun

I have a 1973 Winchester Model 70 in a 308 Winchester that I would like to do some upgrades to. Want to keep it as a 308 but am looking at a new barrel and a new stock as a minimum. I have 5000 150 grain bullets available so wondering what twist would work well with these and maybe 165 and 180s. It will be mostly used to get some trigger time plus the grandkids may use it when they start hunting with me starting 2015.
Any suggestions of a barrel and who to purchase it from? My son is a machinist and he would likely be doing the fitting.
Would a Boyds stock be a fit for this project.
I just want this rifle to be good for hunting out to 300 or 400 yards.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:36 PM

A 1:12 twist will stabilize pretty much anything you will shoot from your 308 hunting rifle. I would not even hesitate at a 1:13 as most hunting bullets (Berger VLD (H) being an exception) are relatively short. You may want to have the chamber cut with .060 free bore as opposed to the SAMMI spec of .090 ... as most hunting bullets are pretty short, and seating a bit closer to the lands sometimes improves accuracy over a long jump. There are lots of barrels to choose from and I am expect you will get lots of suggestions from those particular shooters regarding whatever they tend to favor. My personal favorite among about five different manufacturers I have tried is Krieger as I like cut rifled barrels that have been lapped. Also, they are often in stock close to me .... From RPS. (I am also trying a Bartlein soon). Depending on the barrel maker, you may need to go with a chrome moly as opposed to stainless if you are choosing a very skinny contour. CM will cost more to finish if that is a consideration.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will see what is available on Tuesday. See there are a couple of suppliers of Krieger barrels in Canada.