Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-17-2009, 04:09 PM

Default Hunting deer with a decoy

Has anyone used a deer decoy around there tree stand or blind to lure in deer successfully? Is this an effective strategy or should I stick to using my decoy for target practice?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:49 PM

I used one last fall and had a buck sneak right in to it. The buck was fixated on it and it came 8 yards from my stand. I was using a BP gun and it did not go off( fouled charge). the buck came back 5 minutes later and did the same thing. I was using a doe bleat call and some estrus scent.

BTW I bought a bow this winter and will be giving it a go. No misfires with a bow and if the same thing happens I think even I could hit a deer that close.

Yes decoys will work.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:14 AM

yes decoys work great... it stops them from looking up when your sitting it a stand
Old 08-18-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagewsm View Post
No misfires with a bow
well I could tell you few stories

I'm looking at using a decoy for archery season this year for the 1st time too. Some people are telling me that the decoy will be counter productive if the deer aren't in rut. In which case I have a feeling this technique may be pretty much counter productive.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:47 AM

Default Decoys :)

Hey Shoottokill.

I would make one suggestion about using a decoy and that is to make sure you buy a dedicated decoy rig and keep it absolutely sent free. I actually keep mine out in the bush all year (might not be an option for you) near where I want to hunt, underneath a pile of grass. Doing this has increased the deers willingness to investigate and to my success.

Have fun. And bring a camera because the reactions of the deer to a decoy is unpredictable and sometimes very funny.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Decoy

I've had mixed results. I've had better results using a buck decoy vs a doe decoy. With a doe decoy if a group of does comes across it (in my experience) they become very suspicious and go on high alert. I've even had them start to snort and blow off the intruding doe. They don't seem to do that with a buck decoy as I think during the rut they are used to seeing strange bucks in their core area. With bucks, because my decoy has a small rack they run over to challenge and or investigate the youngster. It does help keep the deer focused on the decoy and away from you sitting in your stand. Keeping the decoy scent free is really important and I too leave it in the bush between hunts. Remember if using a doe decoy to have it pointing away from your stand, and have a buck decoy facing your stand. I've had fun using a decoy and it's entertaining to see the other deer's reactions. I even had a pair of coyotes put the stalk on the decoy. Funniest thing I ever saw. Cheers
Old 08-18-2009, 03:17 PM

i used a pop up decoy last year rifle hunting and the deer and cattle would just gaze at it.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:53 PM

They work great .
I have been succesfull many times using them.
So far the moose and elk have not been seen by animals, but I have faith in them.
here is a bit about my early attempts.
http://peteward.com/Buckie%20the%20w...%20victim.html
Old 08-18-2009, 09:19 PM

Pete I've always got a kick out of your website. Great do-it-yourself stuff. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the good information!

I had not thought about keeping my decoy in the bush for the season to control scent, but it makes sense. Also I am gathering that there have been mixed results with more success during the rut. This makes me curious to go out and experiment. I will be bringing my camera as this may be a great chance to see some interesting animal behaviour.

Pheasantnut, could you comment further on the point you made-

"Remember if using a doe decoy to have it pointing away from your stand, and have a buck decoy facing your stand."

I am interested in learning more about that.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2009, 08:07 AM

Default Re Decoy set up.

Bucks tend to approach other bucks head on, whereas they approach does from behind. So keeping that in mind you want to set up your decoy in relation to your stand sight so as to give you the best chance at a broadside shot.

In regards to types of decoys I"ve had better luck with full body decoys. I"ve had deer spook when the pop up decoy they were looking at suddenly disappeared when they end up standing parallel with it. Cheers Pheasantnut
Old 08-20-2009, 09:22 AM

i had a coyote charge my montana decoy and nock it over he went head over heals i was laughing so hard till i ran an arrow through him he was so confused on what just happend he just sat there till i shot him

but no deer yet
Old 08-23-2009, 08:20 PM

Default decoy

I like to use a buck decoy, it doesent bother the bucks or the does. It should be a small buck so it doesent imtimadate the does or the bucks. When I do use a doe decoy I take the legs off and have it laying down and have a buck standing over her. I find it helps to cut the eyes out and get real eyes from the taxidermy store, the reflection of the real eyes seems to help alot. If you take a white plastic bag cut it out in the shape of a tail then paint the top brown like a real tail. Now take a peace of thin foam and glue it on the bottom of the tail, now you have a tail that will move if there is a breeze, and the foam you can use as a sent pad. Adding the eyes, tail, and now for the last little touch, when you kill your first deer take the sent glands from the back legs and put the on your decoy. All these little touches work great for me, as the seasons goes on I like to change the sent glands. If you can get a doe in heat the glands from her will work great. Hope this will help Dave
Old 08-24-2009, 09:48 PM

Wow, those seem like great ideas. I guess the more realistic the better. Thanks!