Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2017, 08:56 PM

Default RV axles

Any recommendations for a good shop that could check and adjust my trailer axles?
Tire's wear uneven and premature so I'm thinking it must be because of misaligned axles.
Hinton / Edson would be best but thinking I'd probably have to haul it to the city.

thanks.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:08 PM

City Spring on the south side of Edmonton can check this. The uneven wear can be from poor quality Chinese ST tires that come on 99% of new RV's these days. I had uneven wear showing up within 500kms on my new trailer last year, cheap ST tires that you could purchase a 20' sea can load of them from china for $55 a piece!!!, but when I put new high end tires on and since have put on about 1,600kms they have absolutely no wear. I have gone through this senerio a few times and it was never the axles, but cheap ST tires that are 1-not balanced, 2-such poor quality that they don't track straight and cause their own wear. On the last rv I put Michelin XPS Rib tires on and put 76,000kms on them in 6 years and still had 3/8" tread depth when I sold it. The current trailer I have G rated Goodyear G614 RST tires. Well worth the investments for piece of mind and durability.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:27 PM

Interesting. Never considered that..thanks.
Just that they wear inside on the one side and outside on the opposite.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:38 PM

Fleet Brake & Truckzone in West Edmonton. Do everything from Rv to semi trailers and in between.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:56 PM

Had the same issue with my new RV. Phony nylon bushing in the leaf spring bolt hole wore and caused axle to dog track. Hence, premature tire wear. Had axle shop fix under warranty.

Good luck!!
Old 03-30-2017, 07:14 PM

I bought a new trailer a few years ago. bought new so I wouldn't have any problems. Well it turns out the tires on my trailer wasn't lasting for more than one season. The manufacturer replace the axles because there was a problem. they replaced them with the same. So I had the same problems with my tires. With the stock axles I was over weight. causing alignment problems. I took it in to a trailer shop and they made bigger axles for me. I did the install myself and it costed me $400 using my spindles. I now have four seasons on these tires and they are still good.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Fleet Brake & Truckzone in West Edmonton. Do everything from Rv to semi trailers and in between.
These guys do good work. Had a similar problem with our 10 year old fifth wheel when we got it. Took it to them and they realigned everything. It's been good for 3 years now
Old 03-30-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4extreme View Post
I bought a new trailer a few years ago. bought new so I wouldn't have any problems. Well it turns out the tires on my trailer wasn't lasting for more than one season. The manufacturer replace the axles because there was a problem. they replaced them with the same. So I had the same problems with my tires. With the stock axles I was over weight. causing alignment problems. I took it in to a trailer shop and they made bigger axles for me. I did the install myself and it costed me $400 using my spindles. I now have four seasons on these tires and they are still good.
Ya I'm sure mine were outta whack from the get go but it took a couple years before the problem became obvious.
They definitely cheap out with the axles...These 7000 lb plus trailers should have 5000lb axles.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:15 PM

Words of advice, take it to a shop who does trailer wheel alignments

Trust me... Been there.. If you are scrubbing tires, big problem.

Get it done.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:39 AM

I think that a lot of the tires that come with the trailer are just made to get you from the RV dealer to the tire shop. Mine would sway from side to side no mater how it was loaded or if it was empty. After a half of a season two tires blew within a couple of miles I spoke to the tire guys and they said it's pretty common. In the end I got new tires and they have lasted pretty well. If I remember correctly the tires were only rated to haul the trailer empty.
It sounds like you have another issue though. I would certainly look at how you are tracking or if your axles are fubar.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:47 AM

Tires are an issue, you really have to make sure your not getting the cheap Chinese knock offs. My uncle blew 2 going to Calgary from Edmonton. Brand new. From shop to home and on the road. Can't get much more new then that.

I purposely asked my tire guy for the top end tire for my 84 24ft. And got the most ply's as well due to the gravel we have to take to get to most camp sites.