Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2017, 08:55 AM

Default Honda Outboard

In the market for a 9.9 hp outboard for my 8'6" Zodiac(short shaft)
Which dealer in Alberta would you guys/gals recommend
Would like a Honda but would also consider Yamaha
Just looking for a bare bones tiller
Prefer new unless anyone has any leads on a low hour used
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Little Valy; 03-29-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:21 AM

I bought a Merc 20 tiller last year after shopping all over Ab. and Sask. I found out all the dealers have the same pricing set out by the manufactures the same goes for all brands Yamaha, Honda etc..
Watch out for the setup fee they charge for taking it out of the box, starting it and adjusting the carb ranges anywhere from free to $320. I went to pick up my "portable" outboard from one dealer only to find about the $320 "setup fee" that wasn't mentioned on the phone, I left and went to another with no fee with exactly the same purchase price.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:43 AM

Thoughts re motor. Since you are mounting this on a Zodiac I assume weight makes a difference. This is the place where the 2 stroke still has a significant advantage over the four stroke. A 10 horse 2 stroke will weigh less than half what its 4 stroke version will. As far as where to buy it, new prices are pretty heavily regulated by the manufacturers. I would be looking for a good used one. Here in Alberta outboards don't get a lot of hours put on them usually.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:50 AM

While both Yama and Honda are great motors they are both imo over priced.

Bass Pro has the lowest price on Merc anywhere. Worth looking into for sure.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:54 AM

I would try Riverside Honda in St. Albert. They have always been very fair.

Honda will cost you a little more money compared to other brands, but they are, without a doubt, light, quiet, reliable, easy to maintain and absolutely bullet proof beyond belief.

And at 93lbs, they are the one of the lightest 4 stroke out there.

One contributor stated you can find a 2 stroke at less than half the weight? like 46lbs? really? Show me one. Just one.

The information on this site, and opinions, on here are full of unicorns and fairy-tales - so do your own research is my best advice to you.

I think you are likely to save 10lbs maybe 15lbs going to a 2 stroke and inherit more noise, smoke and the reliability/temperamental issues sometimes that creep up on 2 strokes not as prevalent on 4 strokes.

Last edited by EZM; 03-29-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:11 AM

The 2 stroke has more bottom power and less weight. My 25 Yamaha was 116 Lbs a new 4 stroke was 160. I went with the 20 Merc. 4 stroke at 115 Lbs. push's my 15' Jon boat at 22 mph with one person. I think there will come a day when lakes will start banning the 2 strokes because half the oil from the exhaust goes right into the lake and no mixing is a real bonus.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I would try Riverside Honda in St. Albert. They have always been very fair.

Honda will cost you a little more money compared to other brands, but they are, without a doubt, light, quiet, reliable, easy to maintain and absolutely bullet proof beyond belief.

And at 93lbs, they are the one of the lightest 4 stroke out there.

One contributor stated you can find a 2 stroke at less than half the weight? like 46lbs? really? Show me one. Just one.

The information on this site, and opinions, on here are full of unicorns and fairy-tales - so do your own research is my best advice to you.

I think you are likely to save 10lbs maybe 15lbs going to a 2 stroke and inherit more noise, smoke and the reliability/temperamental issues sometimes that creep up on 2 strokes not as prevalent on 4 strokes.
I checked and you are right, Honda has their 4 stroke 10 horse motors down to 94 Lbs. There is not near the weight difference there was a few years ago. Last time I speced a Honda 10 horse it weighed 147 Lbs and a 2 Stroke Suzuki weighed 82. Not really quite half but a hell of a difference. With todays reduced weights I too would buy the Honda, you can't beat A honda motor for reliability long term.

Thanks, I learned something very valuable from this thread.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:06 PM

Past th edit deadline so after further research this would be my edited comments.

I checked and you are right, Honda has their 4 stroke 10 horse motors down to 94 Lbs. I also checked Mercury 10 HP 2 stroke and they are 57 Lbs. The difference is down to 37 Lbs so not half but still significant. The weight difference there was a few years ago was around the same but both motors were a lot heavier. Last time I speced a Honda 10 horse about 10 years ago it weighed 147 Lbs and a 2 Stroke Suzuki weighed 82. Not really quite half but a hell of a difference. With today's reduced weights I too would think about buying the Honda, you can't beat A Honda motor for reliability long term.

Thanks, I learned something very valuable from this thread.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:16 PM

Another thing to consider. I can't say it will be exactly the same now as it has been 3 or 4 years since I bought a brand new motor but, most 9.9 motors are exactly the same as a 15 horse. they are de-tuned to get under 10 Hp. If you want the best power/weight ratio, look at the 15 in which ever brand you buy. They do charge more for them but 50% more power for the same weight is something. Can't have too much power!!
Old 03-29-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannerdog View Post
Another thing to consider. I can't say it will be exactly the same now as it has been 3 or 4 years since I bought a brand new motor but, most 9.9 motors are exactly the same as a 15 horse. they are de-tuned to get under 10 Hp. If you want the best power/weight ratio, look at the 15 in which ever brand you buy. They do charge more for them but 50% more power for the same weight is something. Can't have too much power!!
In many cases you are right. I think the Honda 8 and 9.9 are the same engine at 93lbs, then the 15 and 20 are something like 8-9lbs heavier - so yeah - like most makers, they all tend to put out (make) a few HP models out of one base engine package.

I think the tuning/ignition/etc.. they put into the engines is what outputs the proper HP. Nothing different than taking your stock 5.0 out of your F-150 pickup and giving it a few extra horses with some aftermarket parts.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:12 PM

I have a Tohatsu 9.8 long shaft on my sailboat, I love that thing, has never failed me always starts, and it is quiet.

The Nissan and Mercury are made by Tohatsu as well and they are the oldest outboard manufacturer.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:27 PM

I would call Europa Marine in Edmonton a call. Speak to Darryl. He will give you a great price on a Merc or Tohatsu. 7802379757
Old 03-29-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The 2 stroke has more bottom power and less weight. My 25 Yamaha was 116 Lbs a new 4 stroke was 160. I went with the 20 Merc. 4 stroke at 115 Lbs. push's my 15' Jon boat at 22 mph with one person. I think there will come a day when lakes will start banning the 2 strokes because half the oil from the exhaust goes right into the lake and no mixing is a real bonus.
The 25 Yamaha is the same weight as the 20hp. Put that on a zodiac and it gets quite exciting.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:16 PM

Go Honda. I have a 90 Hp and a 9.9 Hp. Love them both. Never a problem

PS. I sent you a link for a used Honda 9.9
Old 03-29-2017, 06:05 PM

I don't know if he is still running the business, but my go to dealer was Albert at Lac La Biche. He undercut everyone when I purchased my last boat/motor package, but that was over five years ago.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:19 PM

Bought my 9.9 Honda in La Biche. Awesome motor, more bulky than the 2 stroke but more reliable.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:38 PM

Purchased a Honda 9.9 today,$2799.00 out the door
Went in to get oil for my motorcycle and looked at the outboards.Salesman said Honda Canada has a $250.00 rebate,they had a demo(2017)in the back that has never been started.Being a demo there was no PDI or freight.Saved myself about $500.00
Old 04-02-2017, 04:34 PM

That's a good price for a motor that will last for many years, the 4 strokes are quieter cleaner and no mixing. A friend runs a 10 hp Honda on a 10' Zodiac zips across the lake like a hovercraft.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:50 PM

I've had a 9.9 Honda since 2007. Wish I had of gone electric start instead of just recoil. It's never missed a beat but I am getting older and my shoulder plays hell on me now and then. lol It gets used about 3 or 4 hours a day for a week and about the same for a couple weekends a year. I know its not much by a lot of you guys on here. I just can't afford to get out much more due to the wife's health issues. Might sell it and get an electric start. lol