Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-27-2017, 06:13 PM

Default Hodgman waders/boots

Hey members! Have a good guy that is steering me towards Hodgman brand waders and boot system. Anyone have any experience? Would appreciate some feedback before pulling the trigger. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2017, 08:21 PM

If you are looking for an entry level starter low cost item thats what you get. Good value for the dollar but buy with lower expectations.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:50 PM

waders, every dollar you spend, is more time on the river without leaks. That said all waders leak eventually and most just suck it up as long as possible. Research helps a ton when buying waders as well.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:03 PM

My hodge man's went 2 years without leaks and I've patched em and still use em on places like the nsr ..I'd go with a Korker boot tho ..but also they aren't incredibly cheaper than some of the other brands ...a little extra money will go a long way
Old 03-28-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
My hodge man's went 2 years without leaks and I've patched em and still use em on places like the nsr ..I'd go with a Korker boot tho ..but also they aren't incredibly cheaper than some of the other brands ...a little extra money will go a long way

Just to be clear... a little extra money for waders or boots? Thanks costa

Old 03-28-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
waders, every dollar you spend, is more time on the river without leaks. That said all waders leak eventually and most just suck it up as long as possible. Research helps a ton when buying waders as well.

Any further suggestions to look towards? Thanks

Old 03-28-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
If you are looking for an entry level starter low cost item thats what you get. Good value for the dollar but buy with lower expectations.

Fair enough. Best value for waders in your opinion? Thanks

Old 03-29-2017, 12:54 AM

The **** I walk on out here and the bush wacking I would only have korkers boots the support is unreal and love the removable soles. As for waders they have to be tough out here multi layered breathables is what I use I use my cheap light weights for my lake fishing as for river fishing I use vision waders great value great product there around $300 a lot cheaper then Simms
Old 03-29-2017, 10:42 AM

For the waders I mean like the hodge man's are probly still 200 bucks or more and for 300 bucks you can be in a nice pair of simms ...the Korker boots aren't very expensive and the fact you can buy different soles and change em up depending on where your fishing is the whole reason I recommend them
Old 03-29-2017, 11:33 AM

I know my opinion will not be a popular one, but I am not a fan of Korkers. Had mine and they only lasted one summer before I walked through them. I am using a pair of Chotas right now and are lasting very well. They are leather and relatively cheap, but hard to find I have found. Also another brand I would stay away from that are cheap so may be on your list is Bare boots, as I also walked through them in a summer.

As for waders I have redington sonic pros and would definitely recommend them. As said previously you get what you pay for. These are not as expensive as Simms or Patagonia or example but they definitely are worth the money. I am going on season four with them and have no leaks or anything like that and as shown from my boot wear, I put a lot of tough miles on in a summer.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:01 AM

The Hodgman H3, H4 & H5 are all great waders for the price you pay for them in comparison to competing brands. All the Hodgman waders I've owned and used have yet to fail me, even with plenty of bushwacking along willowy banks, wrought with puncture hazards. Still no punctures, and still fishing them.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:48 AM

One thing to watch for is a vertical seam on the inside of the knees ...when you walk the seams rub together and eventually leak that's where my hodge man's failed eventualy
Old 04-01-2017, 02:43 PM

I guess I don't walk with my legs so close together