Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2017, 03:13 PM

Default Sea can for storage

I am looking to buy a Sea can for storage. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas about how to set them up so that they are easy to access all the way to the back. Has anyone installed doors on the other end or the side? Also where should I get one in the Calgary area. How much do they cost?
Old 03-27-2017, 03:55 PM

There are different configurations for the cans. Some have doors on the side or doors on both ends etc.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:18 PM

Also remember if it wasn't originally made with extra doors, the modified ones don't seal up. 20' not a big deal, 40's would be nice with doors on both ends.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:56 PM

Is there a need to ventilate the can because they seal up? I have heard of furniture going bad from storing in a sea can.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma1 View Post
Is there a need to ventilate the can because they seal up? I have heard of furniture going bad from storing in a sea can.
My buddy had some condensation problems, so he put a ventilation hole at one end and put a 6" one at the other end with a heating vent booster fan and put a 12v solar panel on the roof ran the wires inside and used one of the 12v to 120v car conversion units and hooked it to the fan. Now when the sun is out the fan runs, no more condensation problems.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:00 PM

I have one, Kijiji is your friend. I bought a 45' High cube'. Depends what you want to use it for. I store my quads and other stuff. It is strictly storage and I don't do any work in it. I am OK with the standard doors.

Get some rail road ties and raise it and slope it forward for drainage.

It cost be 2700 (2-3 years back) and another 300 for delivery (100 km)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma1 View Post
We had our whole house packed in our sea can while our house was being built (June through Sept), we didn't have any moisture issues at all.

Winter could be different ??

As long as it's sealed, and there wasnt anything wet going in from the get go, I cant see there ever being condensation problems.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtiwana View Post
I have one, Kijiji is your friend. I bought a 45' High cube'. Depends what you want to use it for. I store my quads and other stuff. It is strictly storage and I don't do any work in it. I am OK with the standard doors.

Get some rail road ties and raise it and slope it forward for drainage.

It cost be 2700 (2-3 years back) and another 300 for delivery (100 km)
wow, that's a deal on delivery, i don't know any trucker that would start his unit up for $300., let a lone drive 200k.
i had a neighbor on the farm that bought one a couple years ago, ended up costing him $10,000. delivered, about 65k one way.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronkaren View Post
wow, that's a deal on delivery, i don't know any trucker that would start his unit up for $300., let a lone drive 200k.
i had a neighbor on the farm that bought one a couple years ago, ended up costing him $10,000. delivered, about 65k one way.
Your neighbor got hosed.

I bought a 40' a few months ago. Paid $3200 delivered to Magrath, from Calgary. Delivery was $500.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:44 PM

check out modpod. saw them at a home show the other day and pretty dandy units. plus you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for delivery.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeacon View Post
check out modpod. saw them at a home show the other day and pretty dandy units. plus you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for delivery.
Did you happen to see any pricing ?

I want a unit of some sort. Sea cans are good but delivery up towards McMurray is a little steep. With a mod pod I could haul on my 16 foot trailer and assemble once on site.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:05 PM

SEA CANS are great for doomsday preppin.

Has anyone stored alot of food in them?

I talked to a company that was selling them at the home show and asked if they are rodent proof and they said that they are
Old 03-27-2017, 11:22 PM

Like everything, the farther from port the more they cost and the deeper into oil country, the more delivery will cost per km. Hate paying "oilfield rates" when I am not on the oilfield.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronkaren View Post
The delivery to my place was on a trailer pulled by a F350. Empty seacan is not that heavy.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:24 AM

Default Sea Can

We had one and never could get the condensation out of it till we raised it off the ground, we just put it on 4 x 4"s, problem solved.
They are great for storage and are Mouse proof and water proof if you get one that's not all beat up.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Your neighbor got hosed.

I bought a 40' a few months ago. Paid $3200 delivered to Magrath, from Calgary. Delivery was $500.
Where did you get yours from? I'm also from Magrath and have been kinda looking around for a 40'

Jim....
Old 03-28-2017, 06:47 AM

The only way anything is mouse proof is , a good mouser cat is present 24hr / day. Those little suckers will get into anything.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:38 AM

When I had my 20 footer delivered, the local tow truck guy did it with a tilting flatbed. Don't remember the price other than it seemed very reasonable at the time.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby61 View Post
We had one and never could get the condensation out of it till we raised it off the ground, we just put it on 4 x 4"s, problem solved.
They are great for storage and are Mouse proof and water proof if you get one that's not all beat up.
Like anything only as rodent proof as long as the doors are not open for long. Have a lot of stuff in it. Working in it with doors open for a while and mice can run in. Still always good to put traps in to be safe.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-28-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtiwana View Post
The delivery to my place was on a trailer pulled by a F350. Empty seacan is not that heavy.
that's pretty fair pricing none the less. I believe the neighbor next to me got Ronco to move, which explains alot right there.
Good to know a 1 ton can move them.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
Where did you get yours from? I'm also from Magrath and have been kinda looking around for a 40'

Jim....
Bigdog containers. Had to haggle a bit, but I am quite happy with what I got.. It is sitting at the school reno.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:51 PM

I put my seacans on railroad ties, you only need one at each end on hard ground but I put more if the ground is softer. I cut a hole on top at one end and install a wind turbine whirlybird unit, then cut a hole about 3 ft of the ground at the other end. Have never had any moisture problems. I seal the holes up for winter. I also paint them with aluminum paint to keep the heat down in summer. I always get the high ones (9ft). Check the doors for ease of opening as some of them have may be bent in places and then are always difficult to open.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:55 PM

Buy an insulated H&R reefer trailer/ without wheels or reefer. Always come up at Richie bros auction. No more hot/ cold swings. Doesn't boil in summer, easy to heat in winter. Stainless steel insulated doors, insulated aluminum top and bottom. 10x better for storage or working in than a hot box. At the end of the day, there is still 2k of aluminum scrap weight in it. Both of mine cost 4K each delivered. 53'x9.5. I'm going to buy a refridge unit for one and turn one into a butcher shop/meat hanger. Inspect before buying, you can thank me later lol
Old 03-30-2017, 03:21 AM

Default sikwhiskey

so you'll know the reefer is 53'x 8.5'. any wider and you would need over width permits and all kinds of crazy rules to pull it. also you are looking at different thicknesses on doors and walls. standard wall is 2.5" and the thickest i've ever seen is 4". i've pulled reefer all over canada and the u.s..
also you have four drainage holes- two at the front at each corner of the floor and two at the back on the floor at the doors.make sure to plug them or you will have unwanted guests. also when the reefer is removed make sure to have the hole professionally sealed for rain, snow and visitors.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:10 AM

Although I do plan on using it for storage, I do also want to be able to move it from time to time. Wouldn't A sea can be better?
Any idea on where to shop for a good price on a very lightly used container?
Old 03-30-2017, 10:44 AM

A friend has 2 that he stores his classic cars in. He wants another and I'm thinking of going half on the next one to store my seasonal toys and he gets half the space to put his lawn tractors and such.

Good thread.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:55 AM

I bought a new one 2 years ago from Calgary (used 1 time is considered new I guess), anyway it is in new condition and I paid right around $4000 for the 8 x 20. They told me a 40' is almost the same price due to difficulty/cost in moving. Cost me $4650 all in for tax and delivery to Strathmore. I had a towing company move it from Strathmore to Innisfail for $700 cash. An empty 20' x 8' weighs #5000. Just some idea on what costs are.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:56 PM

I bought mine from Richie Bros for 1400 and was 350 to deliver to fort Saskatchewan