Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 12:28 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

Might work against them. People might get stoned and vote NDP

Well, it happened in Alberta!

Cept the 'drug' they were on, was hate for the PC's.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
The problem is, weed is illegal and it shouldn't be. Synthetic heroin - Oxy is still legal and doctors are creating many addicts.

Which one causes more deaths and true addictions?

How many billions are spent each year on enforcing illegal weed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
Are you a PhD on this matter? Or perhaps you're writing your Masters on this topic? My point being, what credentials do you have to make this statement? My personal belief is that marijuana is a stepping stone to the "problem" drugs.
1) There is no recorded instance of overdosing on marijuana.
2) It's a naturally growing plant. 'Drugs' should be a term reserved for creating something (meth, heroin, crack, acid, fentanyl, cocaine, etc)
3) Yes I did write my college thesis on this subject
4) Marijuana does not have addictive qualities to it, although some (reports suggest about 30%) develop dependencies, in the sense of reporting things like irritability after stopping smoking

Cheers
Old 03-27-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur View Post
Oxy has its purposes in medicine. Ask a trauma patient, ask someone who just underwent surgery. Pain is a medical problem and needs to be controlled.

Do not slander a profession because you think your weed should be legal.

How many times has a pain medications (oxy, morphine, codeine, etc.) got a patient through what would be a horrible traumatically painful procedure or injury?

How many times has weed done that?

Weed should be legal no question; but do not compare recreation with medical. It does not strengthen your stance.

Everyone has their poison. I think control is the best way. Removing it from criminal distributers is a positive. As I said everyone has their poison. Eliminate the illegal drug trade and you save the system lots of money by reducing overdoses due to impurities. The impurities are killing addicts; addicts are also people who have mothers and fathers who still love them.

Overdoses can occur the first time you try it; you do not need to be an addict. Again those PEOPLE have loved ones and had all the potential in the world. Suggesting them dying by overdoses is a good thing/Darwinism is pretty sad.

Weed legalization is a step in the right direction.
Ask a cancer patient, or patient with chronic back issues. The preferred choice is more and more becoming marijuana, as it provided pain relief AND doesn't have addictive qualities like the above mentioned lab created drugs.

Cheers
Old 03-27-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Ask a cancer patient, or patient with chronic back issues. The preferred choice is more and more becoming marijuana, as it provided pain relief AND doesn't have addictive qualities like the above mentioned lab created drugs.

Cheers
Not saying it doesnt have its purposes but I think you would be hard pressed to find a cancer patient who ONLY uses weed for pain control. Weed augments narcotics. First line treatment is narcotics, not weed.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:43 PM

I guess we'll all just have to wait and see if the 'benefits' outweigh the costs.
Will the gov't 'take' in the taxes generated offset the medical costs society will have to pay for be on the plus side or the negative?

Hypothetically speaking, if I have neighbours who cause me medical distress due to suffering from allergies that are exacerbated by 'second hand' pot smoke coming into my home / yard I will sue.

Maybe its not so hypothetical as I read a story just last week about a lady who lives in a condo with her 2 kids, and she has new neighbours who use the stuff regularly (with medical pot permission) and the smoke seeping into her place is making it unbearable for her and her kids who have allergies to live there. When she has complained to the powers that be she is told there is nothing that can be done because it is her neighbour's 'right' to smoke up in their condo. So, is it 'right' that pot users 'rights' to use the stuff supercede that lady's 'right' for her and her kids to breathe clean air in her place? She is contemplating a lawsuit! And I don't blame her one bit.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The ceilings are not going to be changed if marijuana is legalized any sooner than they would be for alcohol.
You can't come to work drunk and you can't come to work stoned .
There is an allowable about of nano grams allowed now and it will stay there.
Cat
According to the HR department at my former workplace , you could be denied employment, or be fired for having Marijuana in your system, even days after the effects had worn off.It may have been different for the contractors on our site.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Canada continues to slither down the drain.

Maybe so but...now we can do it with bg stupid grins on our faces.

I'm opening a pizza shop.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Research shows that for some it is a stepping stone to other drugs. Research also shows you can overdose and increase health care costs can be attributed to the fact pot these days has a far higher THC level than the 60s and 70s pot.

Pot also can have far reaching consequences on the developing brain and prolonged heavy usages over time can permanently alter an adult brain.

Usage can also cause injury when used while operating heavy equipment and motor vehicles.

That being said...people don't seem to fight over comments about their girlfriend or cars while on pot versus alcohol.

Some use alcohol to escape reality and deal with life stress. Some use pot. Likely as a coping method requiring more than what one has in life... pot is the lesser of two evils.

The worst is the stench. Worst smell on earth.

Medicinal pot also has some great benefits. Not just THC but even more so CBD.

Time will tell if legalized pot is a good thing for Canada. I do predict that those not using will find themselves far more employable especially in drug tested positions.
I would most certainly agree with the bolded statement. I don't think smoking weed is the end of the world, and in some cases probably desirable over drinking alcohol, however I think overall the legalization of pot will be a detriment to society rather than a benefit with regards to enforcement and health care costs.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
According to the HR department at my former workplace , you could be denied employment, or be fired for having Marijuana in your system, even days after the effects had worn off.It may have been different for the contractors on our site.
They did not take into account the panel screen and the allowable non grams .
There is in fact an allowable amount although very small
If you were in a car and people were smoking then it would still show up , just not enough to be disallowed
Cat
Old 03-27-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Are you a PhD on this matter? Or perhaps you're writing your Masters on this topic? My point being, what credentials do you have to make this statement? My personal belief is that marijuana is a stepping stone to the "problem" drugs.

Similar weak sauce point made to me by Rona Ambrose when I suggested the fed PC's take their heads out of their butts and realize the tax potentials and law enforcement savings.

"Oh but if we legalize marijuana it means more children will smoke it" Really Rona? But you're ok with booze and do nothing to outlaw cigarettes?

I'm no leftie but I strongly disagree with the right's stance on pot when they are perfectly ok with liquor and cigarettes.

Last edited by 270person; 03-27-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Similar weak sauce point made to me by Rona Ambrose when I suggested the fed PC's take their heads out of their butts and realize the tax potentials and law enforcement savings.

"Oh but if we legalize marijuana it means more children will smoke it" Really Rona? Like booze you mean?

I'm no leftie but I strongly disagree with the right's stance on pot when they are perfectly ok with liquor and cigarettes.
To be honest, if I had it my way, both liquor and cigarettes would be illegal. Just too many societal and financial costs associated with each of them......

Not sure why being drunk or stoned is so appealing to so many....
Old 03-27-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
I guess we'll all just have to wait and see if the 'benefits' outweigh the costs.
Will the gov't 'take' in the taxes generated offset the medical costs society will have to pay for be on the plus side or the negative?

Hypothetically speaking, if I have neighbours who cause me medical distress due to suffering from allergies that are exacerbated by 'second hand' pot smoke coming into my home / yard I will sue.

Maybe its not so hypothetical as I read a story just last week about a lady who lives in a condo with her 2 kids, and she has new neighbours who use the stuff regularly (with medical pot permission) and the smoke seeping into her place is making it unbearable for her and her kids who have allergies to live there. When she has complained to the powers that be she is told there is nothing that can be done because it is her neighbour's 'right' to smoke up in their condo. So, is it 'right' that pot users 'rights' to use the stuff supercede that lady's 'right' for her and her kids to breathe clean air in her place? She is contemplating a lawsuit! And I don't blame her one bit.
They have the right, however their right ends at the property line.
As an owner of a rental and board member we have bylaws concerning odors eminating from units. We have a tenant in the building that smokes up. Several complaints came in from other tenants. We drafted a request for them to control the odor. Fans, go outside or whatever they chose. If not brought under control the board has the right to fine offenders.

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 03-27-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
To be honest, if I had it my way, both liquor and cigarettes would be illegal. Just too many societal and financial costs associated with each of them......

X2

A real question. Why do those of you that smoke it do it. Taste, get wasted, feel better. What?

I drink , but not to get wasted. An Ale is pretty tasty. I can drink scotch for the characteristics. Both without getting impaired. But I never understood smoking. Either type.

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 03-27-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:

I hear you on smokes and booze. Both do infinitely more harm to the health and family lives of Canadians than pot ever would.

I think the short story is if governments can find a way to generate tax revenue out of ANYTHING they'll make it readily available. Hypocrisy at it's finest.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:32 PM

There's going to be a lot of busy drug dogs and US Border Service screening. Just because it's legal here doesn't mean it is in a lot of other places. Residue will follow travellers and their baggage and trigger checks. Be prepared to miss some flights if your a steady user. Other than that I have no opinion one way or the other regarding it's use recreationally. For medicinal uses, by all means. If it helps with chronic pain I'm all for it.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:03 PM

I will believe it when I see it. We will be breaking several international treaties and legalizing it next to a country where it remains illegal at the federal level and in 43 of 50 states. Trying to get the pot smoker vote.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Its been here for over a 100 years, now the police can concentrate their efforts getting the real poisons off the streets. 1000's die from opioids nobody ever died from a pot overdose.
They can't prove smoking and driving yet but I bet there have been deaths from smoking and not driving right.....
Time will tell I guess.
I am not a fan of people that are high roaming the streets and under the influence but what people do at home I really don't care. Maybe the tax dollars collected from it all will build a new hospital or 2 so there may be a possitive! lol
Old 03-27-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
How can you believe anything that comes out of Justin's mouth?
He got elected partly because of this issue and then they stall for 3 years and lo and behold it's election time again. Worked once so it might work again with the selfie generation but will uncle donald put up with this on his northern border??
Old 03-27-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
There's going to be a lot of busy drug dogs and US Border Service screening. Just because it's legal here doesn't mean it is in a lot of other places. Residue will follow travellers and their baggage and trigger checks. Be prepared to miss some flights if your a steady user. Other than that I have no opinion one way or the other regarding it's use recreationally. For medicinal uses, by all means. If it helps with chronic pain I'm all for it.
That's always a worry when I get a used car: what little crumbs might have been left by other owners that could get me in trouble at the border? When getting something new-to-me I give the vehicle a really detailed cleaning, remove seats, shampoo carpets at least twice. Pull up edges of carpets, clean tracks in seat rails, detail vacuum hvac vents. Few (if any) stones are left unturned.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I hear you on smokes and booze. Both do infinitely more harm to the health and family lives of Canadians than pot ever would.

I think the short story is if governments can find a way to generate tax revenue out of ANYTHING they'll make it readily available. Hypocrisy at it's finest.
I totally agree. If there's a buck to me made, the gov't will be all for it. The problem is I don't think they see the "true" cost.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
I will believe it when I see it. We will be breaking several international treaties and legalizing it next to a country where it remains illegal at the federal level and in 43 of 50 states. Trying to get the pot smoker vote.
You are right on the money. Our prime minister is blowing smoke up..... nevermind.

Even if it could be legalized, why would anyone want the government involved? Just to create a 'pot' bureaucracy with various levels of enforcement I guess. More public servants at the trough. There's no way they can collect enough taxes on pot if legalized to pay for a new bureaucracy, users will be growing their own.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
1) There is no recorded instance of overdosing on marijuana.
2) It's a naturally growing plant. 'Drugs' should be a term reserved for creating something (meth, heroin, crack, acid, fentanyl, cocaine, etc)
3) Yes I did write my college thesis on this subject
4) Marijuana does not have addictive qualities to it, although some (reports suggest about 30%) develop dependencies, in the sense of reporting things like irritability after stopping smoking

Cheers
1. Gateway drug to harder drugs
2. So are a lot of other poison plants.What do you think Poppies make?
3. When did colleges offer Masters programs.
4. Bull ****, very additive.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
1. Gateway drug to harder drugs
2. So are a lot of other poison plants.What do you think Poppies make?
3. When did colleges offer Masters programs.
4. Bull ****, very additive.
1) Absolutely not, and you will find nothing to support that claim
2) Poppies are not illegal, you have to do something with Poppies to make Opium
3) they don't, but that doesn't mean the information i used for the paper is any less credible
4) based on what scientific study? all the ones i read disagree with that statement, by many who have Masters in their field

Cheers
Old 03-27-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by histyle View Post
You are right on the money. Our prime minister is blowing smoke up..... nevermind.

Even if it could be legalized, why would anyone want the government involved? Just to create a 'pot' bureaucracy with various levels of enforcement I guess. More public servants at the trough. There's no way they can collect enough taxes on pot if legalized to pay for a new bureaucracy, users will be growing their own.
How many people that drink alcohol make their own vs going to the local liquor store, buy their product, pay the crazy taxes on it, then consume?

Cheers
Old 03-27-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
Does anyone question who refer to as goldfish?

Colin
Put out the joint and you wont smell it
Old 03-27-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:

I bet your social calendar is full to bursting
Old 03-27-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
How many people that drink alcohol make their own vs going to the local liquor store, buy their product, pay the crazy taxes on it, then consume?

Cheers
More than anyone wants the government to know about!! There are a lot of people on this forum that make their own wine & beer. I have no idea how many make spirits, but I do know that it is made. Ask any welder who can weld stainless steel how many stills they've been asked to make
Old 03-27-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by histyle View Post
More than anyone wants the government to know about!! There are a lot of people on this forum that make their own wine & beer. I have no idea how many make spirits, but I do know that it is made. Ask any welder who can weld stainless steel how many stills they've been asked to make
Who needs a welder,,, water distiller works I'm sure
Old 03-27-2017, 03:32 PM

Trudeau correctly assessed that Liberal re-election hopes hinge on a large segment of the population being stoned.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denied access View Post
I bet your social calendar is full to bursting
Don't kid yourself. I love a good IPA or milk stout, and have puffed a nice cigar, and tasted some fine wines and scotch, but the allure of being drunk or stoned quickly faded after turning 19 or 20. Time to grow up....

I feel as though a lot of the societal problems we experience today stem from drugs and alcohol. It's too bad, but it's a reality.
Closed Thread