Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 09:18 PM

Smile 270win and 338win mag Browning Xbolt range reports

Was a beautiful day. Last weekend did a barrel break in on both my new Browning Xbolts , one in 270win, and the other a 338win mag.

So this week i chose some premium ammo to try an collect brass for future intentions to reload.

For the 270win Carbon Fluted blued Xbolt, i grabbed a box of Nosler Trophy Grade 130 grain Accubonds. She is wearing a Nikon until i find another Leupold VXR Firedot with CDS i want.The more groups i shot, the tighter they became. Im assuming after having been started from a clean barrel, that once the barrel was dirtied up a bit.. she started to find her groove.

She didnt like federal blue box , but seemed to like federal fusions 150 gr last weekend for a basic break in procedure

But she really seems to like the 130gr Accubonds today.

Not bad for one type of factory ammo. Maybe tighten it up with some handloads?

Onto the 338win mag Composite Stalker Xbolt.
Shes a bit heavier, 26 inch tube. I put a Leupold 4x12-40mm Firedot with CDS on her. Maybe its just me, maybe its the rifles design. But this is the second sitting, putting 20 rounds down her, for a total of 40 so far in two sittings lol . The 225 gr Hornady SST Superformance i did a basic break in with, was very tame, but you knew it wasnt a 270win you were shooting! haha. Once again from a clean barrel like the 270win, the 338wm started to tighten its groups quickly. These Nosler Trophy Grade 250 grain Partitions, definately has more punch than a 225gr. But once again, wasnt too unpleasant to shoot. Just after each round, your mind said to you, " ooh there it is!"

Now i know to try a few loads. I think these firearms did well today. Maybe i can tighten up with handloads, which im.looking forward to.

Both rifles function flawless. Feed well. Both have an adjustable trigger which i set both at 3 pounds. The 338win mag came from the factory at a hair over 4 pounds

Looking forward to some more tinkering and handloading for these two ladies.

Would i let the 15 year old step son shoot the 338 win mag? No... these 250 gr partitions would probably give him a nose bleed haha. Jks

Im going to shoot some more before i make windage adjustments.

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 03-26-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:58 PM

Early results look pretty darn promising! With handloads, should be able to get some really impressive groups... any idea on what the 338 weighs fully loaded?
Old 03-26-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post
Early results look pretty darn promising! With handloads, should be able to get some really impressive groups... any idea on what the 338 weighs fully loaded?
I keep forgetting to weigh it. But im guessing 8.5lb?