Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 07:46 PM

Default Approach for hunting ducks/geese on pothole lakes

So,
I'm interested in potentially expanding my hunting repertoire to include migratory.

I'm due to draw an animal in 936, which has pretty heavy nob and kettle topography, so I figure I might as well work on some birds in there.

I wonder if anyone can enlighten me, or point me in the right direction for how to approach duck/goose hunting the area, working solo, with no decoys and no dogs.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:54 PM
Banned

pass shot them, find out where they are flying low, hid in a blind or thick brush if possible and shot as they fly by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck-the-chimp View Post
So,
I'm interested in potentially expanding my hunting repertoire to include migratory.

I'm due to draw an animal in 936, which has pretty heavy nob and kettle topography, so I figure I might as well work on some birds in there.

I wonder if anyone can enlighten me, or point me in the right direction for how to approach duck/goose hunting the area, working solo, with no decoys and no dogs.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:51 PM

like ben says if you are solo with no decoys pass shooting will likely be your best bet. both ducks and geese usually follow a routine in the fall which is feed in the morning and evening and rest mid-day and at night. go out and scout birds in the mornings and evenings to determine the path that they travel from water (roost area) to the field where they are feeding. once you have determined the path the birds like to take locate a position which gives you the best opportunity for a close shot as they go by then hide and wait.

if you are willing to spend a few bucks to have fairly decent success on ducks you can get away with nothing more than 8-10 decoys and a jerk string.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 03-26-2017, 10:30 PM

Lightbulb

Outside of the aforementioned potential to pass shoot there is always Jump Shooting Waterfowl! These are fine tactics for scenarios when one is without decoys/calling/dog(s) et al.

Which may or may not be best is dependent upon the specifics of the area and of your daily situation in the area. If you're liable to keep focused on filling a certain tag in 936, there may come times when you'll be more out to get that done as opposed to looking for Waterfowl. If, along the way, you see a nice spot where the Birds are flying through in range for you at the time you prefer, setting up to Pass Shoot may well be the way to go.

Otherwise, if the birds are already there and you know it yet they do not know you are present... Sneak in close and scare 'em up! Perhaps some un-bagged Birds will fly over to the next spot for another round. If there doesn't appear to be any fowl around they could be. Having a sneak is great fun! Lots to be said for Jump Shooting.

Best of fortunes afield!
Old 03-27-2017, 07:18 AM

Smile Do you have a dog?

If you put one down in one of our sloughs you will find the bottom is like loon s**t and you will sink to your knees. Future paleontologists with find your fossilized remains.

I jump shoot them, at least my friends do, I use a truck and the gunner shoots from the road. The dogs do the rest. BTW I let him OUT of the truck and he walks back to the slough, actually sneaks back. 3 shots and then I spring the latches on the kennels and the girls scream down the road into the water and retrieve the birds.

You need a dog unless you shoot them over the prairie.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:45 AM

I don't personally have experience with this, but have heard first-hand and read online that if you walk toward a pothole/water body with fowl, they'll fly off, you then hide, they'll often as not do a circle and come right back. If they don't see you, they'll land again. Anywhere in there you have a good chance at a shot, preferably before they get on or over water.

Worth a shot in many cases.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:04 AM

Some of my best pass shooting used to be between three sloughs, I'd hide on the hilltop between the sloughs and the ducks would fly over the hilltop very low. Use any of the tactics already mentioned and you'll get ducks.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:15 AM

We jump shoot/pass shoot and decoy them. A small kayak or paddle board and you're set without a dog- although a little more work to retrieve.
It's definitely a lot of fun bouncing property to property in search of green heads.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:36 AM

Bring along an old fishing rod with a big treble hook. If one does go down in water, you can often snag it to bring it to shore.

Otherwise, hunters will strip down and wade/swim to retrieve a downed duck, poachers just leave them.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:04 AM

I use a float tube to retrieve ducks and geese!
Old 03-27-2017, 11:55 AM

Default soft bottom

In 936 I havent yet found a slough with hard bottom for wading out. Still looking.
kidd
Old 03-27-2017, 12:33 PM

Waterfowl will take off into the wind,,, use that to your advantage. Try to find ducks loafing along the up wind side of the slough,,, approach as close as possible without spooking the birds from the up wind side,,, and toss a stick or rock into the water. The ducks are likely to flush right over top of you and you can shoot them going away where they will fall on dry land making retrieval much easier.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:33 PM

Ive puddle-jumped teal before. I took my chest waders and my little fishcat. It worked fine.
Hunting duck unlimited sites might be easier than Blackfoot.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantThinkOfAName View Post
Hunting duck unlimited sites might be easier than Blackfoot.
I wonder if the Blackfoot would be harder to retrieve from without a dog but easier to hunt with less pressure thanks to needing a discharge permit and a lot of folks couldn't be bothered to jump through the hoops. I know it can be busy but I sure don't see many bird hunters before November.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
I wonder if the Blackfoot would be harder to retrieve from without a dog but easier to hunt with less pressure thanks to needing a discharge permit and a lot of folks couldn't be bothered to jump through the hoops. I know it can be busy but I sure don't see many bird hunters before November.
True story. I also can't carry my bow for ' just in case' shooting of elk and moose on the DUC property....
Old 03-28-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck-the-chimp View Post
True story. I also can't carry my bow for ' just in case' shooting of elk and moose on the DUC property....
Why not?
Old 03-29-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Why not?
Won't have a tag......