Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
i know someone who has a table at a lot of gun shows and the one thing i am always blown away by is the amount of people who ARE willing to pay retail for a used gun. with so many people willing to pay too much its no wonder why a lot of sellers are putting up adds for more than a guns worth.
I have been going to gun shows off and on for 45 years., Only ever bought 2 items there that I thought was a good deal. One I never used and a sack of copper shot finally got used after about 30 years.

A friend of mine often has a table. One time he asked me why he got no bites on a certain rifle he had marked at $700.00. I suggested that he raise the price to $1000.00. He called me after the show and told me he accepted an offer for $900.00.

I know a few who buy ammo at full retail and take to show and price way over. Felt marker $$$$ on masking tape and only a box or two on table at a time and there is one born every minute.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
Good used firearms purchased at fair prices are a safer investment than most bank schemes , savings plans
For sure! But only if you know something, don't need the funds for something which is a more immediate need and are willing to wait.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I have been going to gun shows off and on for 45 years., Only ever bought 2 items there that I thought was a good deal. One I never used and a sack of copper shot finally got used after about 30 years.

A friend of mine often has a table. One time he asked me why he got no bites on a certain rifle he had marked at $700.00. I suggested that he raise the price to $1000.00. He called me after the show and told me he accepted an offer for $900.00.

I know a few who buy ammo at full retail and take to show and price way over. Felt marker $$$$ on masking tape and only a box or two on table at a time and there is one born every minute.
Same thing, a couple years ago at the gunshow I had a well used Rem 700/ 30-06 classic, had asked $395 for 2 consecutive gun shows , any fool knows a BARE action Rem 700 is worth $400, but no buyer for the complete rifle, and it shot well,
so then I decided to take off the old $150 Bushnell scope,
bumped the bare gun price to $695 , and sold the gun 2 hours later for $650 ,

the bases and rings for $100 , and next day the old Bushnell scope for $75,,,

That's $870 in 24 hours, for a rifle I wanted $395 the day before,,for 2years, nobody bought it, it was TOO CHEAP

ALSO Had 2,ugly old .303 's nobody wanted them for $75 each, put price up to $175 each and the same day sold both of them for $150 each,
Old 03-26-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykuch View Post
I used to buy guns on here regularly, but have noticed a trend on this particular site where people are asking new prices for used guns and sometimes more than new. Its crazy. Normally if you buy a gun it looses 1/4 of its value once you leave the store. I'm not going to give specific examples and **** off sellers. But all you have to do is look for while and you will see what I mean. What are your thoughts?
So think of it as an opportunity....if they truly are asking more than retail, go buy some items when on sale and sell them for profit here. Use the profit to buy what you want.....everybody's happy then.

Or think of it this way......buy what you want at retail, use it and sell it and get all your money back.....what could be better. But if guys are really paying the asking, don't fret....buy and sell without a loss.

The reality is that SOME guns are going up in value as they get harder to find or Or our canadian dollar looses purshasing power.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Nothing new here. Since the Buy/sell has been around someone is complaining about about the prices that someone else wants to buy or sell something.
The guys who howl the loudest are the guys who want the most money for their stuff. 6 months later and several drops and still not sold. but think the guy selling what they want should be cheaper, much cheaper..

Don't like the price.....don't buy.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-26-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
So think of it as an opportunity....if they truly are asking more than retail, go buy some items when on sale and sell them for profit here. Use the profit to buy what you want.....everybody's happy then.

Or think of it this way......buy what you want at retail, use it and sell it and get all your money back.....what could be better. But if guys are really paying the asking, don't fret....buy and sell without a loss.

The reality is that SOME guns are going up in value as they get harder to find or Or our canadian dollar looses purshasing power.
Good points ! I have seen some truly awesome firearm buys on a variety of Buy and Sell sites. Wish I could buy them all .For some reason or other they remain posted for quite some time before being sold or removed.. In all likelihood prospective buyers were not aware of the real value they represented. Many older guns and their values are not interesting nor understood by a vast number of new gun buyers. That is why high quality , un-trendy used guns remain in a Buyers market.. and likely will for a while yet.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Nothing new here. Since the Buy/sell has been around someone is complaining about about the prices that someone else wants to buy or sell something.
The guys who howl the loudest are the guys who want the most money for their stuff. 6 months later and several drops and still not sold. but think the guy selling what they want should be cheaper, much cheaper..

Don't like the price.....don't buy.
Exactly.

If the both the seller and the buyer are happy with the transaction then what is the worry?

Some of the guys on this thread sound like vultures that think they should be entitled to get something for nothing at someone else's expense.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:18 PM

The last bunch of Wingmasters I sold was very entertaining , from guys tripping over themselves to grab up a nice TB series to guy's offering me used 870 Express prices for the same gun!
Interesting to say the least ......
Cat
Old 03-26-2017, 09:19 PM

The great deals are usually picked up by the fellows who either are bragging about it next day or will try to resell it at a higher price, not by someone who really needs a gun. Those that really need a gun will be accomodated usually by a family member , neighbor or friend.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
The great deals are usually picked up by the fellows who either are bragging about it next day or will try to resell it at a higher price, not by someone who really needs a gun. Those that really need a gun will be accomodated usually by a family member , neighbor or friend.
In the case of my Wingmaster collection I had guy's who THOUGHT they knew guns trying to low ball me or telling me I was asking too much .
The guys who know what genuine Wingmasters are worth were buying them.
I didn't lose money on any of them but still offered good deals .
It was time to flip them, to whom I didn't care as long as the EMT came through !
Cat
Old 03-26-2017, 10:06 PM

Default money back guys.......

I like the one's with rode hard and put away wet guns that are obviously abused....would be worth a thousand had you looked after it now a $300 club.....thinking they will get what they paid for the gun .Never seen a patch or oil since it was brought home.Then there's Bubba with the custom stock cutting and the D+T crooked bases...........Harold
Old 03-26-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
home.Then there's Bubba with the custom stock cutting and the D+T crooked bases...........Harold
You mean the "customized" Lee Enfields?
Cat