Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 11:01 AM

Default Delete

I used to buy guns on here regularly, but have noticed a trend on this particular site where people are asking new prices for used guns and sometimes more than new. Its crazy. Normally if you buy a gun it looses 1/4 of its value once you leave the store. I'm not going to give specific examples and **** off sellers. But all you have to do is look for while and you will see what I mean. What are your thoughts?
Old 03-26-2017, 11:05 AM

It like that on anything people have for sale whether here or Kijiji, got to be @ least 25% less of new once it is bought, or I don't bother.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:08 AM

I'll normally buy if it's 25- 30% less. Unless it's a hard to find item and I want it now.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykuch View Post
I used to buy guns on here regularly, but have noticed a trend on this particular site where people are asking new prices for used guns and sometimes more than new. Its crazy. Normally if you buy a gun it looses 1/4 of its value once you leave the store. I'm not going to give specific examples and **** off sellers. But all you have to do is look for while and you will see what I mean. What are your thoughts?
1 You can always make an offer
2 you can keep looking till you find a price you like
3 there is CGN and a few other alternatives
4 you can go buy a new one, but it is amazing how many of those over priced guns sell just because you can't find them new in a store or have to wait 6 months to get one.

Supply and demand determine price. If you don't like the price don't buy but I am not dropping my asking prices when every gun I have ever listed has sold in one to two days.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:22 AM

People don't realize that most small gun shops will bend a bit on pricing and appreciate your business. You can buy the majority of stuff new for less than used if you are patient.

What I don't get is buying something 20 years ago, getting good use out of it and than asking 2 times what you paid for it because the new prices have gone up. This isn't fine wine, and please don't include the round count on a gun that is older than you. Leupold scopes seem to appreciate more than fine art, I should have bought dozens of old Vari-Xs as a retirement fund.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:

Normally if you buy a gun, it looses 1/4 of its value once you leave the store.
Far from the truth. We're not talking about domestic vehicles.

If you're interested enough in the firearm you think is "over-priced", go buy it from the store then...

Old 03-26-2017, 11:45 AM

Some people pay too much, and they want their money back. Other people are just hoping to find someone that doesn't know the market price, and will over pay. Personally, there us no way that I am going to pay more than 75-80% of the new price, if I can find that same firearm in a store today, even if the firearm is in mint condition with original box and paperwork. On the other hand, I have paid more than retail for certain rare firearms , and after using them, I sold those firearms for more than I paid for them. Try purchasing a Remington 40X repeater in 22lr, if you can even find one, a rifle in excellent condition sells for several times what it originally sold for new.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Far from the truth. We're not talking about domestic vehicles.

If you're interested enough in the firearm you think is "over-priced", go buy it from the store then...

I must have touched a nerve...... But that is the truth, unless you are selling to a sucker. Or its some super rare item everyone is looking for. 99.9% of stores wont even take it back once it leaves the door.
And yes I do buy at the store.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:47 AM

It's simple. Supply and Demand

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 03-26-2017, 11:47 AM

Lotsa folks figure since they took a bath on what they paid, others should share the same fate.

Give a reasonable offer, if it's not taken, just move along.

Revel in the repeated BTT's.

''Tis but one part of life"

There are no absolutes
Old 03-26-2017, 11:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I am happy with my last purchase, you gotta shop around like anywhere else, also need to barter too after all asking price is just that.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Quote:
I agree! Nutz has a better selection but no deals there either. Because of this both AO and Nutz are great tools for selling something quick.

Thing that makes me chuckle is how you never see a gun for sale with more than a couple of boxes down the pipe. Virgin pristine, every last one. Lol
Old 03-26-2017, 11:54 AM
Banned

.......I recently had a conversation with a fellow about a scope. my last entry to him was "what's your bottom line", which was obviously asking what he'd sell it for, taking into account his asking price and that it didn't say price was "firm".

he didn't even bother with telling me has price wasn't negotiable, and a few days later I note that it has been moved up again.

guess its easier to ignore possible buyers than respond to their questions?

Last edited by spoiledsaskhunter; 03-26-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alephnaught View Post
Thing that makes me chuckle is how you never see a gun for sale with more than a couple of boxes down the pipe. Virgin pristine, every last one. Lol
I chuckle at that as well. Sometimes I see something too good to be true and then it disappears only to be put up for sale by another buyer. I often think that the new buyer found out that it was too good to be true.

I sell most of my stuff to people I know and give them a great deal. If I have something that is not that great I will not sell it to a friend, but I will give it to a friend to consign at a gun show.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I agree! Nutz has a better selection but no deals there either. Because of this both AO and Nutz are great tools for selling something quick.
tell that to the citori white lightning 3.5 i got for $900 or the leupold vx3 8.5-25x50 target scope my buddy just bought for $875. i have found the problem with good deals is that they dont last long and therefore most of what you see is either fair or overpriced. both the good deals i mentioned were not on nutz for more that an hour when we got them.
i know someone who has a table at a lot of gun shows and the one thing i am always blown away by is the amount of people who ARE willing to pay retail for a used gun. with so many people willing to pay too much its no wonder why a lot of sellers are putting up adds for more than a guns worth.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 03-26-2017, 12:19 PM

There are also people just trolling the buy and sell to see if they can get stuff for free.

When I post something for sale I ask a reasonable price and a bit of wiggle room is built into that.

A lot of times there is some joker making me an offer of 40% of what the item is worth. A big waste of my time to even respond.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I chuckle at that as well. Sometimes I see something too good to be true and then it disappears only to be put up for sale by another buyer. I often think that the new buyer found out that it was too good to be true.

I sell most of my stuff to people I know and give them a great deal. If I have something that is not that great I will not sell it to a friend, but I will give it to a friend to consign at a gun show.
Yet certain sellers seem to have to bump their ads mamy times, sometimes to the point of multiple pages, because they make a habit of asking unrealistic prices. When I see certain usernames in the listings, I don't even bother to read the ads.
On the other hand, I have found some very good bargains both here and on CGN.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:36 PM

Purchasing a used firearm is a matter of perceived value. To one person,
purchasing a new rifle, over the counter with warranty is good value. To another, purchasing that very same rifle six months later on the used market at a price that is 20-25% less than retail is a better value.. and it may well be the better "deal".
Most of us who offer used firearms on the used market do not do it as a revenue source. We do it as a hobby. As an income source, believe me, there are far better ways to turn a dollar. In addition, most of us are continuously searching out the best examples of high quality firearms, most which originate from an era where the production of very high quality firearms was the norm, not the exception. Todays production and materials costs have skyrocketed. Accordingly, manufacturers are forced to make adjustments to keep costs and profit margin in line. They usually label these adjustments as "improvements". These "improvements" can readily be translated to mean less expensive to produce. The words offshore, outsourcing, lighter, less expensive materials immediately comes to mind.

These modern production requirements are vastly different from those incorporated just a few decades ago when high quality materials were readily available and human interface and skilled labor costs were much less expensive. In sum, excellent quality products at affordable price points were much easier to achieve in earlier times than they are today.

The used firearms market offers many examples of these older high quality firearms at prices that are often less that half of what the new market can provide for similar quality. That older quality can still be found in some current products being produced by the smaller boutique manufacturers such as Kimber, Cooper, Nosler etc., but that same quality comes at a price.

It's not all bad when you see a good used Remington 700 BDL from the '70's or 80's advertised on the used market for $8- $900.00.or an older Husqvarna HVA for 6-$700.00 , to name a couple.Things just ain't what they used to be. The very best firearm values remain on the used market as I see it.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Yet certain sellers seem to have to bump their ads mamy times, sometimes to the point of multiple pages, because they make a habit of asking unrealistic prices. When I see certain usernames in the listings, I don't even bother to read the ads.
On the other hand, I have found some very good bargains both here and on CGN.

Yup! I opened a add knowing not to because of who it was and just about spit my coffee on the table when he wanted $700 for a old Winchester Ranger in a very common cal. Those rifles go for $300-$400, and I dont think they were anymore then that new. Oh well I needed a good laugh.
That said I did pay new price for a rifle that was said to be "unfired". I do beleve it was and it was what I have been looking for for a long time. He could have got more money from me........
Old 03-26-2017, 12:56 PM

I think part of the reason is the increase in retail firearms prices in the last couple of years.

For someone looking for a new or newish rifle the retail prices have increased 30 to 40% in the last couple of years.

If a buyer is looking at that and what he would of paid 2 years ago versus today he is going to be in for a bit of a shock.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:09 PM

Regardless of any theories. I've noticed hunt Bc (although slower traffic) and CGN (higher traffic) both seem to run consistently lower prices. AO's used sales are excessively high priced IMO.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:46 PM

I don't understand why anybody would take issue with somebody asking fair market value for 20-30+ year old guns.
I have a few 30+ year old rifles/shotguns still in production today that now retail new for more then 2x what I paid new in the 80's,and I wouldn't even consider selling them for less then 150% what I paid.
Ie;I bought my Rem 7600 30-06 new at CDN tire in 1986 for $379 iirc?
Now they want almost $900 for the same rifle in a Tupperware stock and well over $1000 in wood....I wouldn't dream of asking less then $500 after 30+ years of great memories and dozens of big game tags filled with it....and I'd get it....and no it's not for sale,the sentimental value is worth more to me then a $4/yr $120 profit,lol
My Nylon 66 was $129 at K-mart back in the day iirc(?)......I've seen asking prices of $8-$900 in recent years for mint condition(mine is not exactly mint,but again,not for sale at any price)
I see asking prices these days for 40 year old 870s that are double what I paid for mine new 35 years ago.
Even better example is something like LongBranch Lee Enfields that were literally a dime a dozen 30 years ago going for upwards of $1000 on today's market.

If you don't like the asking price,walk away or negotiate,it's called supply and demand.If you overpay,you didn't do your homework/shop around and compare prices on other forums....nobody to blame but yourself.Suck it up or hang onto it for 5-10 years and it's bound to increase in value in most cases.The very first thing I do when I see a gun for sale that I'm interested in is a quick Google search for what they are retailing for new,or if it's a gun that's out of production,compare to other asking prices online.Nobody is holding the gun to your head to force you to buy it.

Last edited by West O'5; 03-26-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alephnaught View Post
Or that all spent brass has only been once fired.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:14 PM
Banned

I have always found people buying firearms to be very honest, its the ones selling that I worry about.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:22 PM

I really don't see the problem. Do you pay sticker for a vehicle? Its no different with guns.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
My thoughts...is anyone twisting your arm to purchase anything?
It's a free market society...you can ask whatever you want...and where 'buyer beware' comes into play.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:30 PM
Banned

Buyer be VERY beware,,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.6 KB, 119 views)
Old 03-26-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:

Yes, like most everything else, 1/3 off as soon as it's bought then depreciate 5% or so every year after that. BUT, we don't have to buy any of the items for sale on this forum or anywhere else. The buyer can make that choice. However, for the most part, the sellers obviously don't want to sell for a realistic price, so the object sits on here week after week with a bump every so often. You'd think a seller, if he really wants to sell, would realize he's not priced realistically. I mean I'd like to get 50% of the new price for a 10-15 year old quad or snowmobile too. Maybe there is a sucker born everyday that eventually pay the out to lunch prices, just not you or I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2017, 04:04 PM
Banned

Good used firearms purchased at fair prices are a safer investment than most bank schemes , savings plans

I wish I could have bought 10,000 sks's 30 years ago for $5 each, when they were dirt cheap
I wish I could have bought 10,000 MI Garands 50 years ago at $29 each USD

And in 40+ years of purchasing/owning probably by now 1000's of firearms , I have not had a lo$$, but gained $$$on 99% of them!
The few I did maybe end up selling for a bit less than when purchased was by choice in order to procure most of my cash to buy something much wanted at that particular time ,

not only a sound investment but the added value of a hobby the items constantly change,