Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2017, 04:46 PM

Default Need a shipping broker for pallet of sleeping bags

I am ordering a pallet of sleeping bags and the manufacturer in the USA can't ship them across the border. He says they sometimes go through, sometimes they get sent back and sometimes they just get stuck. So he won't ship them to AB.

So I need a shipping broker on the USA side to get them across the border. And ship them the rest of the way.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-24-2017, 05:06 PM
Banned

Consider shipping them to a sweetgrass depot and driving across to get them.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:12 PM

X2 for At The Border Storage in Sweetgrass. My father in law is a customs broker in Coutts as well.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:35 PM

I can't drive to the grab them. I don't have the time.

Need a broker to get them across and ship them to lac la biche
Old 03-24-2017, 05:40 PM
Banned

The bigger issue you have is what is wrong with them for them not to be allowed into Alberta? They get turned back for a reason.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:50 PM

I've used world wide custom brokers or Coles international in the past, both are good with reasonable prices.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:15 PM

Cole international has been good to us for US brokerage and shipping.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:31 PM

I'd have the bags cleared before you pick them up. Coles is way too expensive! I use Schenker. Flat rate and have had good luck with them. I bring misc. in from the US all the time.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
I'd have the bags cleared before you pick them up. Coles is way too expensive! I use Schenker. Flat rate and have had good luck with them. I bring misc. in from the US all the time.
How do I get them cleared before I pick them up? If I can get them cleared before hand, could I get them sent direct from the manufacturer to me through customs?
Old 03-24-2017, 10:29 PM

DHL will broker it for you and deliver them
Old 03-25-2017, 08:37 AM
Banned

Sleeping bags need proper labelling and fire retardant specs to be commercially imported into Canada
Probably why the US supplier won't ship for you .
Even if your importing under your personal name ' pallet qty could class you as a commercial importer.

You may have no problems at all . But there's a chance your goods will be turned back or worse
Old 03-25-2017, 10:10 AM

Are they "military" sleeping bags. Noticed Kijiji awash in sleeping bags recently. Maybe a skid of inflatable loungers too. I have imported stuff plenty. I had to drive 10 hours to stick on a few hundred "made in China" stickers Before they could be cleared. The paperwork involved 6 drives back and forth from fedex building and customs building. 4 hours total worth of being told gems like "container was not folded correctly". Which you would have had to deal with these angry accountants to understand.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:59 AM

They arent military bags.

They are from http://www.tetonsports.com/

I'll make some calls. Thanks
Old 03-25-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Consider shipping them to a sweetgrass depot and driving across to get them.
Bin there done that....excellent advice....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:04 PM
Banned

Have them ship to the depot at Sweet grass. http://www.montanashipping.com/

Then have DYK Post bring them to Edmonton.http://www.dykpost.com/usa-shopping

DYK picks up there Tuesdays and Thursdays. Very resonable pricing.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWS View Post
Have them ship to the depot at Sweet grass. http://www.montanashipping.com/

Then have DYK Post bring them to Edmonton.http://www.dykpost.com/usa-shopping

DYK picks up there Tuesdays and Thursdays. Very resonable pricing.
Thanks for this info..!

Old 03-29-2017, 06:09 PM

Well I called DHL today and got a quote for just shipping, no brokerage or duty fee...

To get 2 pallets of sleeping bag/sleeping pads shipping from salt lake city utah to edmonton was $10,000 USD. The lady on the phone said it is what it is when I told her thats a pretty hefty fee.

Again, that does not include brokerage or duty.

So I called US customs and was on the phone clicking through multiply phone menus to realize you can't actually speak with someone using the phone number listed on their website. So I sent them an email asking what I would need to do to ensure the sleeping bags would get through. I suggested to them it might be getting denied based on it being a fire hazard like someone mentioned on this thread.

Either way, if DHL is 10k shipping, I doubt any other courier will ship it to make it worth me saving %25 by ordering from the manufacturer as opposed to amazon.ca.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:14 PM

For $10000 you could drive to the border a few times over. Just sayin'.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
Well I called DHL today and got a quote for just shipping, no brokerage or duty fee...

To get 2 pallets of sleeping bag/sleeping pads shipping from salt lake city utah to edmonton was $10,000 USD. The lady on the phone said it is what it is when I told her thats a pretty hefty fee.

So I called US customs and was on the phone clicking through multiply phone menus to realize you can't actually speak with someone using the phone number listed on their website. So I sent them an email asking what I would need to do to ensure the sleeping bags would get through. I suggested to them it might be getting denied based on it being a fire hazard like someone mentioned on this thread.

Either way, if DHL is 10k shipping, I doubt any other courier will ship it to make it worth me saving %25 by ordering from the manufacturer as opposed to amazon.ca.
If you want pm me your information on the shipment. I know a few guys who run LTL north and can get you a quote brokered to Edmonton. For 10 grand I'm pretty sure I could get a couple truck loads of these moved.

I'd be happy to help. Need a shipping zip code. I have a warehouse in edmonton so I'll use it as a destination. My guys will tell me what info they need and I'll get more details from you then if needed.

BW
Old 03-29-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
For $10000 you could drive to the border a few times over. Just sayin'.
I get you, but like I already stated I don't have the time to do this. I also don't have a passport. And its for a company, not for myself personally. The company will not pay me to drive back and forth to pick them up or incure liabilities while I am doing this either.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:24 PM

I can offer my services as above.
Pm me some more info. Size and value of items.

I ship stuff all over the US and Canada. Never seen a quote that high. Even for a full truck.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary K View Post
I can offer my services as above.
Pm me some more info. Size and value of items.

I ship stuff all over the US and Canada. Never seen a quote that high. Even for a full truck.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
i'll send you a pm.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post

I sometimes wonder if the big box stores have got some of these shipping companies like DHL /fed ex..etc wrapped up and payed off in an effort to kill the competition aka little guys from getting a foothold in the market place. That is just criminal for shipping a couple pallet across the border. Something seems fishy to me.