Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2017, 09:56 PM

Default Buffalo Lake Ice

Hey gang - sorry to start a new thread but we were thinking about heading to Buffalo Lake out by Stettler on Sunday for some last ice tip up Pike. Just wanted to make sure ice is still good and thick enough to be out there. Anyone been out that way lately with any kinda report? Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-23-2017, 11:18 PM

I was out last Thursday pulled the shack off, and it was melting but I'd be Leary take is slow
Old 03-23-2017, 11:25 PM

Was out 2 weeks ago. Not much pike but slayed the burbot. Nice sized too, most around 5 lbs.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:26 PM

Was at Sylvan last Sunday (March 20) and the ice was solid on the lake, and thick enough that it was almost to the end of my auger. The access was getting very rutted and suited only to trucks, no longer to passenger cars. I suspect Buffalo Lake would be similar, then add to that 5 days of melting at the access points. Might have to sled out, the lake itself should be fine.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
Was at Sylvan last Sunday (March 20) and the ice was solid on the lake, and thick enough that it was almost to the end of my auger. The access was getting very rutted and suited only to trucks, no longer to passenger cars. I suspect Buffalo Lake would be similar, then add to that 5 days of melting at the access points. Might have to sled out, the lake itself should be fine.
thanks very much -- appreciate it. Definitely would be walking on with the sled. If we've got a good foot of ice, I'm cool with that. Gonna find a nice back bay and set up some big dead baits on Sunday. Weather looks epic...
Old 03-24-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Was out 2 weeks ago. Not much pike but slayed the burbot. Nice sized too, most around 5 lbs.
I hope you were saying 'were slaying burbot' you meant it metaphorically.

Buffalo Lake
the portion located in 40-22-W4 (the Narrows)
May 15 to Mar. 31 – Pike limit 0; Burbot limit 2 (Burbot limit 0 - Feb. 1 to Mar. 31).
Apr. 1 to May 14 – CLOSED
the remainder of the lake
May 15 to Mar. 31 – Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Burbot limit 2 (Burbot limit 0 - Feb. 1 to Mar. 31).
Old 03-24-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I hope you were saying 'were slaying burbot' you meant it metaphorically.

Buffalo Lake
the portion located in 40-22-W4 (the Narrows)
May 15 to Mar. 31 – Pike limit 0; Burbot limit 2 (Burbot limit 0 - Feb. 1 to Mar. 31).
the remainder of the lake
May 15 to Mar. 31 – Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Burbot limit 2 (Burbot limit 0 - Feb. 1 to Mar. 31).
Wasn't aware of that. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:00 PM

Yes I knew..
I don't keep any fish. Once in awhile if I'm camped at the lake during summer I will have a fish fry. Even then it's rare.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:29 PM

Bahaha. Way to back-peddle or b.s. could care less myself but the fish and wildlife after how many years are finally spending a little of their precious winter time patrolling lakes like buff and deadmeat and coal and guess what? All kinds of infractions getting noticed...none of my business but really guys in this day and age a big pike deserves a better end than a spear through the back or a snare around the gills. Keep your limit of big pike but at least show a little respect and compassion for your prey. Ya'll ain't gonna starve. if she won't bite-leave her be.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:34 AM

Ok.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:40 PM

Just wanted to post (in case anyone wants to go out during the week before closure) that the ice is still nearly 3ft thick at Rochon in the park area. We just walked out from the boat launch until we found about 10fow. Had some strikes but didn't land anything.