Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 10:46 AM

That crate seems just fine for what it is intended. Did the crate have a do not stack sign painted or secured to it? Was it marked with Handle with care kinda signage?

Crappy for your client as that's a nice set. He defiantly did not get what he paid for but who is at fault?

I agree with Mike_W, I think Talon should be helping by going to bat for your client with the shipper Talon sent it too. But the reality is that shipper damaged it by stacking something on top, they should be paying to make it right Imo. Talon may have choose the 2nd shipper, other than fighting on the behalf of the customer, not sure what they can do.

Can a taxidermist fix a skull that is that badly broken? I hope your client gets some quick resolution and his costs to fix that skull up. Thats a nice elk and shame to see it as it is now.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnut View Post
So telling people not to use him because of your experience isn't slandering him?
A direct quote from my post:

"I just wanted to let fellow outdoorsmen the series of events that took place should they ever need to ship something that maybe they should choose someone other than Talon Distribution."

I let everyone know the events that took and said the may want to choose some one else.

The definition of slander is as follows:

slander
n. oral defamation, in which someone tells one or more persons an untruth about another which untruth will harm the reputation of the person defamed.

I believe you are referring to libel as this all has been written.

To my knowledge I did not post anything that was untrue. I stated the events, interactions, and my opinion.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:17 AM

So did Talon cover the costs after insurance for the antlers to be fixed?
Did this happen at the warehouse where your client was to pick them up?
Old 03-20-2017, 11:22 AM

Most taxidermist can fix skull plates as we used to cut them all the time and Caribou camps the only reason he might wanted in hole was to get it officially scored by Pope and young or Boone and Crockett

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlerguy View Post
So did Talon cover the costs after insurance for the antlers to be fixed?
Did this happen at the warehouse where your client was to pick them up?
As originally posted I believe the shipping company covered $2/lb and then Talon covered the difference between the repaire estimate and the insured amount.

To my knowledge the damage happened at the final storage warehouse in the US.

As stated the client is upset about what was originally communicated between him and Talon and the final resolution. To my understanding it was communicated Talon would cover shipping cost, cost of damaged crate and repair cost. When dust settled I was told by client that only the repair cost was covered.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
To my understanding it was communicated Talon would cover shipping cost, cost of damaged crate and repair cost. When dust settled I was told by client that only the repair cost was covered.
So this is all hearsay-you've never contacted Talon to get his side of the story?
The client got the repairs paid for so he now has his antlers that have been repaired are in his possession and he's/you are still not happy? Wow just wow.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:01 PM

I ship items all over north America and into very remote locations. Often things are damaged. If talon paid for the repair of the skull he has lived up to his expectations and deliverables. While unfortunate it is rare ever expected to receive a full rebate on shipping fees.

Now the crate is likely to not have been labeled properly and measure taken to ensure nothing was stacked on the crate. A do not double stack and crush cone should have been fastened to the top of the crate.

all in all, its unfortunate. Given the sentimental value of the contents (non replaceable) greater measure should have been taken with the crate.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnut View Post
So this is all hearsay-you've never contacted Talon to get his side of the story?
The client got the repairs paid for so he now has his antlers that have been repaired are in his possession and he's/you are still not happy? Wow just wow.
The issue is one thing was discussed and another was carried out. The other aspect is, a premium was paid to have the antlers shipped with the skull plate intact. The antlers were not delivered with the skull plate intact so really what was the premium shipping price for?
Old 03-20-2017, 12:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
The issue is one thing was discussed and another was carried out. The other aspect is, a premium was paid to have the antlers shipped with the skull plate intact. The antlers were not delivered with the skull plate intact so really what was the premium shipping price for?
That would be an excellent question to ask Talon?
Old 03-20-2017, 12:38 PM

Default Elk Antlers

Good Day all ... Kyle, we understand your frustration as well as your clients frustration with regards to the Elk Antlers, and Yes when your client and I spoke initially we did give your client some incorrect information due to the damages and what we thought at the time we would be able to recover for him. We haven't had a damaged shipment for some time, we must have shipped a thousand shipments without damages and we should have done a little homework prior to the conversation with the client, my fault and I take full responsibility, our deepest apologies ... the end result, without boring everybody is this!

We asked your client to take the antlers to his regular Taxidermist and provide us with a quotation to fix the antlers, we received a couple of estimates here in Canada from well respected taxidermists, his Taxidermist came in 30% more .. which is OK, we sent a check to cover the quotation. The client was planning on a shoulder mount Elk, therefore, once the mount is completed ... the only people who would have known of the disaster would have been, the Taxidermist, the client .. myself and now all of you.

We have total confidence the client's taxidermist will repair the antlers back to original form, according to experts in the field, it would have been a fairly easy fix.

Now as for the damages, one of the fork lift Drivers placed a 2,000 Lb package on top of our crate when the shipment was in route to the customer ... the carrier in question has delivered over 500 crates in the past 10 months without incident. As for Kyle and his customer, were sorry for the inconvenience,we know the importance of these shipments and we do our very best to transport them in a safe and timely manner, if anybody has questions and/or problems with our services, please feel free to e-mail us anytime, we are pretty easy to find and we will reply as quickly as we can.
Sincerely,

Dale Warren
President of Talon Distribution Ltd
Old 03-20-2017, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhaulerhunter View Post

It is not Talons fault that the crate was damaged once it left his warehouse. It is the company that is carrying the package. By the sounds of it the shipping company put forth the insurance money that was owed for damaging the crate and the contents inside. Not sure why Talon should be footing the bill when the insurance already covered the damage to the crate.
Are you people for real ? For all intents & purposes, Talon WAS the shipper !!!

If you pay a Company to do something (anything really), and that Company sub's the work to a 3rd party, it doesn't matter what the 3rd party does... The original "distributor", IE: Talon, is liable... The customer didn't hire this anonymous 3rd party.

THE ORIGINALLY CONTRACTED COMPANY (in this case, TALON) IS ON THE HOOK FOR ANY LIABILITY OR DAMAGES (in the eyes of any customer). Doesn't matter who owned the warehouse/trucks/pallet-jacks/etc.

In laymans terms, he didn't hire Talon to ship the crate only to have them turn around & hire someone else to do the actual work. He called "Talon Distribution", not "Talon General Contracting". Time to stop "passing the buck".

If I was the customer who owned those anters, I wouldn't pay a dime for the shipping... "F" that, my package was damaged ! Even Canada Post refunds shipping costs when items are damaged, plus covers the damage...

Last edited by J0HN_R1; 03-20-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonDistribution View Post
Good Day all ... Kyle, we understand your frustration as well as your clients frustration with regards to the Elk Antlers, and Yes when your client and I spoke initially we did give your client some incorrect information due to the damages and what we thought at the time we would be able to recover for him. We haven't had a damaged shipment for some time, we must have shipped a thousand shipments without damages and we should have done a little homework prior to the conversation with the client, my fault and I take full responsibility, our deepest apologies ... the end result, without boring everybody is this!

We asked your client to take the antlers to his regular Taxidermist and provide us with a quotation to fix the antlers, we received a couple of estimates here in Canada from well respected taxidermists, his Taxidermist came in 30% more .. which is OK, we sent a check to cover the quotation. The client was planning on a shoulder mount Elk, therefore, once the mount is completed ... the only people who would have known of the disaster would have been, the Taxidermist, the client .. myself and now all of you.

We have total confidence the client's taxidermist will repair the antlers back to original form, according to experts in the field, it would have been a fairly easy fix.

Now as for the damages, one of the fork lift Drivers placed a 2,000 Lb package on top of our crate when the shipment was in route to the customer ... the carrier in question has delivered over 500 crates in the past 10 months without incident. As for Kyle and his customer, were sorry for the inconvenience,we know the importance of these shipments and we do our very best to transport them in a safe and timely manner, if anybody has questions and/or problems with our services, please feel free to e-mail us anytime, we are pretty easy to find and we will reply as quickly as we can.
Sincerely,

Dale Warren
Dale,

I do appreciate your professional comment and maybe I'm at fault here for not contacting you directly; but from talking with my client it seems that communication was going no where.

The questions that I have are as follows and maybe you can comment on them.

1) Why did you not follow through with your initial commitment as the client seemed to be satisfied with your proposed resolution of refunding the cost of shipping, cost of crate, and cost of repair?
2) The client payed an increased cost of shipping for an intact skull to be delivered to him; he did not receive an intact skull. What was the increased price he payed for?

Thank you.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:07 PM

Great job that's how I would expect all companies to deal with the situation if I ever need your business you'll get mine

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonDistribution View Post

Sincerely,

Dale Warren
You went above and beyond IMO and there is no way you should forfeit the shipping cost. I will recommend and use your services if needed.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:26 PM

Dale does a great job and I wouldn't hesitate to use him again. Sometimes crap happens. It sounds like he spoke too soon when it all started out before he had figured things out. i can't fault a guy for doing his best in the situation for all involved and changing his mind on how to proceed
Old 03-20-2017, 01:33 PM

Default Elk Antlers

John_R1 .. Agreed, the client hire Talon, Talon is responsible to make it right and yes .. Talon paid to repair the antlers, and yes the antlers moved from point A to Point B. The final result is the client has his antlers and they are as back to original form, under the circumstances .. best we can do. Now we could have taken the small print on the back of the waybill like all other parties do and paid the client 1/2 the cost of the repairs and been totally legal.

KyleSS, Kyle I'm not exactly sure what you and/or your client is looking for, the antlers are/or are being repaired back to there original form at no expense to your customer. We are very sorry, but this is the best we can do for your client.

Regards

Dale Warren
Old 03-20-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Dale,

I do appreciate your professional comment and maybe I'm at fault here for not contacting you directly; but from talking with my client it seems that communication was going no where.

The questions that I have are as follows and maybe you can comment on them.

1) Why did you not follow through with your initial commitment as the client seemed to be satisfied with your proposed resolution of refunding the cost of shipping, cost of crate, and cost of repair?
2) The client payed an increased cost of shipping for an intact skull to be delivered to him; he did not receive an intact skull. What was the increased price he payed for?
Thank you.
So I have zero iron in the fire but just curious how the script would be flipped.

Now I assume you are an outfitter or guide now lets say you put a client up in a nice hotel and cover his meals, room ect. If there was a problem with the room would you refund the cost of the trip or partial refund or if your client was in a accident in the shuttle you arranged from the airport causing him to miss part of his trip?

There isn't a right answer I'm just asking on how you would treat a situation out of your control?

In regards to Talon I don't think he should have to refund the full shipping cost personally but if he told your client he was going to refund him which it seems he is saying he did then he should step up and fulfill his promise.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:02 PM

Will somebody please close this thread, it's gone beyond its best before date already.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:50 PM

If he refunds the shipping cost then imo he has no obligation to fix the antlers. The "premium" cost to ship the skull intact would be for the increase in parcel size I'm guessing. If he is footing the bill for repair refunding shipping costs would be ludicrous and imo completely dishonest of the client to request.

-Billy Molls
Closed Thread