Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-19-2017, 03:32 PM

Default Anyone used the Elk101 course?

Just curious if anyone here has taken the Elk101 Online course? I've been elk hunting for several years now, only killed 1 so far and would like to do better. I'm just wondering if the course if applicable and helpful to someone not hunting mountainous territory, but rather hunting prairie elk? So much of what I read deals mostly with thermals up and down the mountain, when to hunt high/low etc, and doesn't really help too much for guys hunting flatland and farmlands. If you've completed the course I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on if its worth the $100.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:29 PM

I have also been wondering about the online course as well, any feedback would be muchly appreciated.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:31 PM

I've heard some great reviews. I haven't used it yet but plan to. I would imagine a lot of the info would be transferable, might just have to connect the dots yourself. Personally, I think $100 is a small price to pay for info, when likely most of us spend thousands on gear.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:56 PM

I think $100 is a small price to pay for info,

Info you can have for free, but experience, which is what you need, you can't buy with money.

Grizz
Old 03-19-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I think $100 is a small price to pay for info,

Info you can have for free, but experience, which is what you need, you can't buy with money.

Grizz

You do have a point lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2017, 08:03 PM

Unless you hire a guide and then technically money can buy experience
Old 03-19-2017, 08:16 PM

Default Elk 101

Am I right that it's run by Rocky Jacobsen? I attended his elk calling seminar and I was really impressed. I'm sure it's worth the money
Old 03-19-2017, 08:22 PM
Banned

Hunting farm land isn't that hard learn the pattern they have where the come out what time. course would help maybe for mountains but farmland isn't hard to hunt
Old 03-19-2017, 08:27 PM

Thumbs up Rocky course

IF its Rockys course I have taken his courses twice ,taught me a few things that improved my kill rate on public land
Old 03-19-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
Hunting farm land isn't that hard learn the pattern they have where the come out what time. course would help maybe for mountains but farmland isn't hard to hunt
True enough, I should have said flatlands. I have hunted them in farmlands and basically just used ambush tactics, since like you said its fairly easy to pattern them. I'd like to hunt some of the crown land surrounding the farmlands, which is pretty heavy bush, so would like to learn how to call better and so on.

What about the elknut dvd's, anyone tried them?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:03 AM

Where is the seminar and when thank you

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 06:46 AM

Its a web course, all done online
Old 03-20-2017, 06:54 AM

Do you have link ,thanks
Old 03-20-2017, 08:39 AM

www.Elk101.com
Old 03-20-2017, 08:49 AM

pick up this DVD excellent on calling

Old 03-20-2017, 08:57 AM

Looks like a good site I just joined I think that's Rocky Jacobson son Corey that's doing all this now

Old 03-20-2017, 08:58 AM

I think a man named Corey Jacobsen put a lot into that course. If you search around on the Elk 101 website there's a discount code for it as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 10:59 AM

Nope learned from mentors and self taught, the more mistakes you make the better success you can have.

LC
Old 03-20-2017, 11:23 AM

But nowadays there are so many better methods easily accessible to learn how to call then the old days of trial and error but you still have to get out and trial-and-error

Old 03-20-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post
Gonna go out on a limb here. Sounds like an American site. Hunting elk here is way different than our southern neighbors do.

Grizz
Old 03-20-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Nope learned from mentors and self taught, the more mistakes you make the better success you can have.

LC
Yup. I find in the end it's just as valuable to learn what doesn't work worth a **** as it is to learn what does. Personally, I'm always scheming and thinking maybe "this" will work, and most times it does more harm than good, but at least I know not to try that when the 350" is screaming back at me, lol.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:56 PM

Yeah i did the elk101 course. Im pretty sure I found a discount and it could have been on a podcast or possibly one of randy newbergs youtube vids so it cost me $70.Like kristopher said alot of the information will work well for hunting in general. Like griz pointed out this course is specific to america so unless your hunting similar areas there is alot of information that wont apply. I would still say its worth the money
Old 03-26-2017, 05:06 PM

the elk101 course is pretty comprehensive but honestly doesn't have any info you cant find for free if your willing to do your research listening to podcasts has been a big source of knowledge for me Gritty Bowman is especially good for tips and elk hunting knowledge. if you're looking to learn more about elk calling and in depth behavior check out https://www.roehuntingresources.com/
i found this website to be more worth my money than the elk101 course but that's just my opinion i used his calling sequences and set ups a lot last year and they helped me take my first elk solo i called him in to 5 yards and put 225grains through his heart definitely wish i had packed my bow with me that day lol
Old 03-26-2017, 05:14 PM
Banned

Nope
Old 03-29-2017, 08:11 PM

I took the "work my ARSE off for 10 years course" killed a few during that time and now shoot a bull every year. No course will prepare you for the fact that persistence and hard work are king and if you are willing to put the time and energy into areas that you know and understand through the experience you've gained over time is more important than anything you will read here or anywhere else.

You have to believe that what you are doing will pay off and hammer the sh$t out of everyday you have time to spend in the field after elk.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:06 PM

That's one way to look at it the other would be if you learned or were told of experiences earlier through other sources or ppl maybe your success could of happen earlier.

Other ppls experiences in the bush have taught me much about hunting in the mountains. Without some of the lessons id still be figuring done things out.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjolg123 View Post
That's one way to look at it the other would be if you learned or were told of experiences earlier through other sources or ppl maybe your success could of happen earlier.

Other ppls experiences in the bush have taught me much about hunting in the mountains. Without some of the lessons id still be figuring done things out.
That's a good point.

I haven't taken the $100 elk101 course but I learned a lot from elk101 about 6 or 7 years back when I found that site. Corey Jacobsen (Rocky's son) lives and breathes elk hunting. He's extremely knowledgeable and he's good at sharing that knowledge in an easy to understand way. He's one of the best callers in the world and he's a regular guy with a job and family that only has a couple weeks every fall to hunt elk but he makes the most of it. He's humble but he really seems to know his stuff. I've watched webisodes they had up on the site early on and some other videos on youtube of him giving seminars on elk hunting.

The guys on here that have pointed out how valuable on-the-ground real experience is are absolutely right - there is no better teacher than making your own mistakes. However, learning as much as possible from others can definitely speed up the learning process and probably save you from making some of those mistakes.

When I think about how much I've spent on elk hunting books over the years, $100 for a good course is probably not a bad deal. Elk101 is a great resource - it's the best one I've found and was certainly one of the factors that helped me go from a guy who wasn't killing bulls to one who kills them pretty consistently. I can't vouch for the course but if I were just starting out in elk hunting I'd give it a try.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:01 PM

I bought it last year, its well put together and well thought out. But its bow hunter based and really doesnt replace first hand experience. I find his calling tips and how to talk to the elk the best part of the coourse.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Gonna go out on a limb here. Sounds like an American site. Hunting elk here is way different than our southern neighbors do.

Grizz
Seriously? I don't see it. I hunt elk near Waterton eastern slope and hunted elk in the Kootenai National Forest on the Rockies western slope near Glacier. Both places very similar also in conifers and same type vegetation. Dang elk don't know where the border is. No different than hunting bear on either side.
To the original poster, for a $100.00 the more you educate yourself about elk hunting and also from others mistakes, you won't near bump as many and in doing so you'll put more meat in the freezer. Good luck.

Bobby
Old 04-02-2017, 01:01 PM

Yes I've hunted and guided elk in a few provinces and I think you can learn from this program an elk or elk they respond to calls or they don't I think the only difference in terrain would be thermals if you were hunting a mountainous or hilly country. But getting out and hunting them is the main thing I've called them in Whistling to my buddies not having a clue what I was doing