Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-07-2017, 07:16 PM

Just a counter argument for starting off with a 22.

For me at least, I go hunting to spend time with my friends to do an activity we all enjoy. If you suspect you might be doing more big game hunting vs small, I'd suggest a .243+ CF cartridge rifle, pick any cartridge you want.

The other thing I was going to say, go to Cabelas, WHS, P&D etc. browse what they have and find the rifle that speaks to you, that way regardless what you pay (or willing to pay) you should have no regrets after the purchase.

Cheers, best of luck!
Old 03-08-2017, 02:19 PM

Here is my second 2 cents on this topic.

For a beginner I would follow most of the advice outlined above...you can tell from the repetitive nature of many of the comments that most of us have had very similar experience resulting in very similar advice.

The only additional comments that I can make is practice, practice, practice....not only on how to shoot, but also how to shoot, hunt, walk etc etc with a firearm. Learn to be safe at home, at the range, and on the hunt.

Practice is a little less painful if it is a little less expensive. To help on the cost side, 22 LR is always cheap, 30 06, 308 and recently 270 ammo are amongst the cheapest calibers to shoot. Twelve guage is cheaper to shoot than 20 guage, and much cheaper to shoot than other shotguns.

Most manufacturers make "entry level" firearms....some of these entry level firearms are of much better quality than others, particularly when it comes to the quality of the stock. Some manufacturers also have "quality issues" (like with their trigger assemblies-google rifle trigger problems) that might push towards another brand.

good luck
Old 03-08-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishislife1 View Post
Last season I got my hunters ED and my PAL and went hunting with my buddies just south west of spruce grove. I'm thinking of getting my first gun but I'm not sure what to get. I want to start off by hunting small game like grouse and maybe some rabbits .. etc. Eventually I want to get me a nice white tail but I assume I would need a bigger gun for that.

Btw I am really aware of how to handle guns and have shot big guns before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
308(270/30-06 are good substitutes) , 22lr , 12 gauge pump and a 204 /223/ 22-250 is what u must have !
Old 03-08-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylverCANADA View Post
Just a counter argument for starting off with a 22.

The other thing I was going to say, go to Cabelas, WHS, P&D etc. browse what they have and find the rifle that speaks to you, that way regardless what you pay (or willing to pay) you should have no regrets after the purchase.
+1. No need to spend lots, but let yourself buy something you're excited about. It'll be your constant companion while hunting and many of us do form a bond with 'Old Bessie' so to speak. Besides, this should be something that you enjoy!

There's lots of reasonably priced options in versatile calibers, if someone says they have the perfect rifle for you I'm inclined to think they're full of it. Personal choice plays a huge role, and you don't have to justify it. This is the real reason campfire arguments about the ideal caliber and rifle will never die.

Ps. Did you buy it yet? No additional guns for me for a while, baby will be here soon... So, I'm living vicariously through you... please send pics! Ha ha
Old 03-10-2017, 08:48 AM

I'm in the same boat as Fishislife1! I'm looking to purchase my first rifle for basically the same purposes... Grouse, gophers, rabbits... maybe a fox or coyote even? I'm trying to decide between a .22LR and a .17HMR. I have friends who've recommended the .22 and coworkers who recommend the .17HMR. I know the ammo for .17 is much higher but I'm not basing my decision on that fact. I want to get whichever gun is the most fun and versatile. My main concern is that I don't want to blow a bird to smithereens if I'm trying to eat it! I've heard about new 20 gram .17 bullets that aren't supposed to do too much damage to the meat.

Anyone have experience with a .17HMR vs. 22LR and specifically shooing grouse/20 gram ammo?

Thank you!
Old 03-10-2017, 08:59 AM

25-06 is a good round,lots of ammo choices and availability... Just learn how to shoot in the wind if you're doing any prairie hunting... Savage axis is a great combo in any caliber and Canadian tire has as good a gun selection as anybody...
Old 03-10-2017, 11:16 AM

Heck, I might as well throw in my 2 cents. My first 2 guns many a moon ago were a single shot .22 and a single shot .410 shotgun. Both Cooeys and both well used before I sort of inherited them. The .22 had the most basic controls and antiquated open sights. It taught me how to shoot. The .410 - which I still have and still use for grouse when the mood strikes - taught me a lot about point and swing techniques.

I agree with the .22 (with open sights - learn to shoot well with open sights) but don't start with a .410. Too easy to get frustrated. A 20 or 12 guage pump. And I've said it here before, my uncle always said the only two big game guns you need are a 30-30 and a 30-06. Start basic, common and affordable and let your tastes develop.

Also find good used guns to start. If you sell them - which is quite likely - you should get most of what you paid for them back.

Think of you first firearms like your first car. A ferrari doesn't make sense where a ten year old Toyota corrola ain't gonna break the bank and in two years if you took care of it you can sell it for nearly as much as you bought it for.

Colin
Old 03-16-2017, 05:56 AM

Well, did you make a decision or buy a new rifle yet? I'm betting on Ruger American Rimfire or Savage Mark II in 22lr. Either would be a great choice and also come in 22WMR and 17HMR if you decide to go that way.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishislife1 View Post
Last season I got my hunters ED and my PAL and went hunting with my buddies just south west of spruce grove. I'm thinking of getting my first gun but I'm not sure what to get. I want to start off by hunting small game like grouse and maybe some rabbits .. etc. Eventually I want to get me a nice white tail but I assume I would need a bigger gun for that.

Btw I am really aware of how to handle guns and have shot big guns before

Go out and get an sks or a m305. Might as well start with a big, relatively cheap, semi. You will have fun playing around with the m305 and chasing the elusive accuracy. The sks is just fun, and cheap, to plink with.

Enjoy
Old 03-16-2017, 08:45 AM

First gun or first "guns"? I don't know anybody who's gone out and bought 3 new guns after getting a PAL. I'd never personally rush decisions like that, but conversations like these help. Clearly, you ask 10 guys what 3 guns they'd get first and there is a good chance you'd get 10 different answers. I'd say it comes down to what you want to do first, and what you want to spend. I'm in Ontario, and I don't hunt big game...so I'll stay out of the centerfire/big game rifle conversation. However, rimfires/shotguns are mostly what I own and use, so I'll chime-in there. Other than bad/cold fall weather waterfowling where a good semi auto is a welcome companion, I very much favor pump guns. Solid, reliable, no-nonsense, easy to work on, etc. My personal pick is a Remington 870 for simplicity and nostalgic reasons, but Mossberg 500s should not be overlooked. Very smooth actions, lighter (aluminum receiver) and honestly, better priced than an 870 Wingmaster. You can buy lower-end 870s (Express model) and in spite of all the bad press, they tend to run perfectly with the same amount of TLC you'd give a Wingmaster. Problem is (in my experience) allot of guys buy the cheaper Expresses and treat them poorly as a result..then expect banner results. They'd never treat a better shotgun that way, so I find most of the negative things I read about them sort of laughable. There are 2 in our family, both run like tops. Both get treated as well as my nicest shotgun does. Ballpark prices.. expect the 870 Express to be in the $400 range, the 870 Wingmaster in the $900+ range, good semis around $1,300 and up from there. Sometimes way up from there!

With spring almost here, I suspect practice...maybe some gopher shooting is in order. For me, the first gun would be a 22 bolt action. My favorite 22 bolt guns are CZs, and I can expand on that if you have a budget in the $600 range for a 22. If it's not that high, I'd pick something like a Ruger American. I like Savage/Marlin too...but Ruger American would be my current, top pick in a less expensive 22. A dealer close to me used to list those at about $329 but with our dollar being so poor...I suspect they're closer to the $400 mark. Scope~make sure whatever you get as either an adjustable objective or side focus. I don't have anything to sell, but if you'd care for any more input on rimfire or shotguns, don't hesitate to message me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithereens View Post
I'm in the same boat as Fishislife1! I'm looking to purchase my first rifle for basically the same purposes... Grouse, gophers, rabbits... maybe a fox or coyote even? I'm trying to decide between a .22LR and a .17HMR. I have friends who've recommended the .22 and coworkers who recommend the .17HMR. I know the ammo for .17 is much higher but I'm not basing my decision on that fact. I want to get whichever gun is the most fun and versatile. My main concern is that I don't want to blow a bird to smithereens if I'm trying to eat it! I've heard about new 20 gram .17 bullets that aren't supposed to do too much damage to the meat.

Anyone have experience with a .17HMR vs. 22LR and specifically shooing grouse/20 gram ammo?

Thank you!
Like others, I have tons of experience with both. Search long enough and you'll hear exaggerated stories about the capabilities of rimfires, but a fox is about as big as I'd ever go with a 17HMR. I've seen it done. Coyotes~bad idea, unless they're VERY close and you have no other options. I've also seen a coyote shot with a 17HMR. If you want to shoot a coyote, .223 is the minimum in my opinion. 17HMR vs 22LR~totally different animals, speed/price/performance/trajectory/effect etc. Small game you want to eat? 22 is probably better, but beyond about 60-75 yards, trajectory has to be factored in. Takes more practice, but it's fun...inexpensive practice. 20gr. HPs aren't quite as hard on small game as the 17gr. ballistic tips, but both are harder on small game than 22LR.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
Go out and get an sks or a m305. Might as well start with a big, relatively cheap, semi. You will have fun playing around with the m305 and chasing the elusive accuracy. The sks is just fun, and cheap, to plink with.

Enjoy
9 pounds naked and 3 moa accuracy m305 is far from a do-it-all intro gun... its a military type weapon and not idealfor hunting or building confidence in shooting ability... an sks is worse.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:46 AM

Default First gun...

My first gun was an H&R pardner single shot 20 gauge with an additional .30-30 barrel. Harder to find these days but was super reliable, accurate and cheap.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:57 PM

Just get. 30.06.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
.50 BMG...go big or go home.
X2
yup 50BMG for deer
404 Jeffery for gophers
nothing smaller
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 03-20-2017, 10:12 PM

6mm rem or bust
Old 03-27-2017, 01:28 PM

Bite the bullet... so to speak and get a tikka. You'll never regret it and have an accurate quality hunting rifle that will last forever and hold value

Old 08-10-2017, 06:58 PM

You can start off with a 22 or even a good 223 for varmints. When it comes to birds you need a shotgun, e.g., 12 gauge which works for rabbits as well. When it comes to Whitetail you need a man's rifle. The 223 can't knock over a steel silhouette of a mountain goat at 400 meters and would be illegal to use on big game even with heavier grain bullets. But what do I know..... I am a bad shot and know very little about hunting and shooting.