Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-02-2017, 09:39 PM

Go test drive a PRIME Morb.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:19 PM

Prime are very nice bows, I will second bigbores statement. Accurate archery carries them. I loved the rock solid back wall. Nice valley on them as well. Not aggressive like some bows where if you let off a bit the cams try to rip your arm off. You almost need to push the string forward to let down the bow from full draw. Not cheap, I think the centergy runs about $1400 for bare bow. Worth checking out though.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:56 PM

I had the same problem a couple months ago -- set my budget at ~$1500.

All said and done I went with a Hoyt Defiant Pro, and once I had all accessories, arrows and a case I had spent $2500
Old 03-03-2017, 01:18 PM

Default Yeah for sure

I am kind of a gear junky but yet rediculously analytical person. As such I need to figure out what meets my NEEDS vs just meeting my WANTS.

All the info has been great though!

Morb
Old 03-03-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius131 View Post
I am kind of a gear junky but yet rediculously analytical person. As such I need to figure out what meets my NEEDS vs just meeting my WANTS.

All the info has been great though!

Morb
All I can say is:

Ignore the brands/models, go blind test half a dozen bows -- don't even pick a price range. Have the guy set you up with a mix of bows, you just stand on the line and wait to be handed a random bow. Go with what feels right for you.

I went in thinking I wanted a Mathews Halon32 or a Bowtech Reign 7 -- after trying both neither were for me.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:13 AM

I would suggest trying a lot of bows to find out what feels right for you. There is a difference between a target bow and a hunting bow. Also, a 3D bow might be considered as something in between. It will be necessary to get the bow set-up and with ample practice the limbs can be tightened down to increase the draw weight as one builds the skills that are needed to hold full draw. I would further suggest that one not jump into buying a heavy poundage bow as it will be a struggle to build reliable archery skills. Arrows have to be built for the bow and shooter. It's real possible to get a good used bow and have it set-up. And it's a better option to have some assistance in one's purchase so use a bow shop to get help. You'll be happier in the long run.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:13 PM

Default Understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrambler View Post
I would suggest trying a lot of bows to find out what feels right for you. There is a difference between a target bow and a hunting bow. Also, a 3D bow might be considered as something in between. It will be necessary to get the bow set-up and with ample practice the limbs can be tightened down to increase the draw weight as one builds the skills that are needed to hold full draw. I would further suggest that one not jump into buying a heavy poundage bow as it will be a struggle to build reliable archery skills. Arrows have to be built for the bow and shooter. It's real possible to get a good used bow and have it set-up. And it's a better option to have some assistance in one's purchase so use a bow shop to get help. You'll be happier in the long run.
I understand the work involved in set up and accuracy and I also understand that a hunting bow will never be the best target bow. With that said there are bows out there that are better than others at covering that need. I will definitely be shooting lots of bows before making a decision but a good starting list of bows is the reason for this thread.

Thanks for everyone's contributions.

Morb