Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
Sorry kyle, ive been tied up for a couple days

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsM...HydiMInr5Rd-NQ
Thank you
Old 03-01-2017, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
Greats show like outdoor quest???? Now I know he's off his rocker, one of the worst shows on wild tv, maybe one good episode a year and then 15 fillers that are un-watchable .
Couldn't agree more. Longest running hunting show... Who cares, that doesn't make it good.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Couldn't agree more. Longest running hunting show... Who cares, that doesn't make it good.
again, its the longest running show because he has a market audience. Meaning realistically, youre in the minority that share that opinion. But you are entitled to your opinion
Old 03-01-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
what attitude?

I wasn't saying anywhere in this thread to support me in particular other than a generalized statement that iwas surprised that 'locals' don't get more of a push. I was simply laying out reasoning as to why things are done a certain way.

And that's fine if I'm not 'selling' my product to you personally. Not everyones going to like it. Nature of the beast, but I still don't know what attitude youre referring to? Have you ever reflected, and thought, much like a text message that maybe youre simply reading into my post incorrectly? Just a thought
Well if that's what you intended to say then fair enough, but I didn't get that from your post. You said we "need to support guys like [yourself]" and you are "flabbergasted" that local producers don't get the love that you feel they should.

As far as your attitude, you have been pretty defensive from the get go. Look at the way you responded to WB and Keg. To be fair you at least apologized in the second case but it seems like if someone dares to question your entitlement to our attention and dollars you're ready to take them to school.

Now I like and support local content. And I like all sorts of hunting and fishing shows. But when you start acting like anybody with a different opinion than you is "silly" or "has no clue" it sure doesn't make me feel like rushing out to buy episodes of your program.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
Well if that's what you intended to say then fair enough, but I didn't get that from your post. You said we "need to support guys like [yourself]" and you are "flabbergasted" that local producers don't get the love that you feel they should.

As far as your attitude, you have been pretty defensive from the get go. Look at the way you responded to WB and Keg. To be fair you at least apologized in the second case but it seems like if someone dares to question your entitlement to our attention and dollars you're ready to take them to school.

Now I like and support local content. And I like all sorts of hunting and fishing shows. But when you start acting like anybody with a different opinion than you is "silly" or "has no clue" it sure doesn't make me feel like rushing out to buy episodes of your program.
because many don't? I don't really know how to respond other than don't rush out? No skin off my back and I probably wont notice!
Old 03-01-2017, 12:58 PM

There's the attitude again. I agree with Swede. The entitled attitude was present from the very get go of this thread. Can't figure out why it's not more watched and wanted. Well I'm not your "dude" not your "bud" and not your "man". Sounds VERY amateurish with phrases like that and that is a real turn off , as it does to be answering questions on this public forum , in the middle of the afternoon from a bar drinking beer.. If your just starting and the costs are too much for you maybe your in over your head. I don't know when you started this venture but baby steps. Your thinking your entitled to everyone watching your videos because--- well because your you, Maybe loose a few of the crew people, I mean really you need NINE people following you around, and I don't imagine they particularly like being called ' jockeys' and ' mules'. When I watch WildTV I want to see content that I like to watch. Don't want to see someone playing with their kids, don,t want to see what goes on after the hunt in the bar and couldn't care less if you've got the most refined, best, most expensive cameras made and shots from four angles. If the content isn't there I am not watching. And as was mentioned before, I don't think your going to get a lot of dedicated followers if you never leave the province. I do wish you luck. Don't know what show you have or who you are but maybe I'll put this one in the Stan Potts categorie for a while yet.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
There's the attitude again. I agree with Swede. The entitled attitude was present from the very get go of this thread. Can't figure out why it's not more watched and wanted. Well I'm not your "dude" not your "bud" and not your "man". Sounds VERY amateurish with phrases like that and that is a real turn off , as it does to be answering questions on this public forum , in the middle of the afternoon from a bar drinking beer.. If your just starting and the costs are too much for you maybe your in over your head. I don't know when you started this venture but baby steps. Your thinking your entitled to everyone watching your videos because--- well because your you, Maybe loose a few of the crew people, I mean really you need NINE people following you around, and I don't imagine they particularly like being called ' jockeys' and ' mules'. When I watch WildTV I want to see content that I like to watch. Don't want to see someone playing with their kids, don,t want to see what goes on after the hunt in the bar and couldn't care less if you've got the most refined, best, most expensive cameras made and shots from four angles. If the content isn't there I am not watching. And as was mentioned before, I don't think your going to get a lot of dedicated followers if you never leave the province. I do wish you luck. Don't know what show you have or who you are but maybe I'll put this one in the Stan Potts categorie for a while yet.
thumbs up! I ask again, what attitude?

Where did I say costs were too much? youre making uneducated assumptions

those tag names are what camera guys refer to themselves as.

we have filmed outside of the province, but, plenty of shows stick to alberta. That's our model more or less. like it or not, again...no skin off my back!
Old 03-01-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I must ask. What exactly is it you expect of me? Are you expecting me to flavor your day by politely begging you to be my biggest fan? Or act, speak, post etc in a way that pumps your own tires or makes you feel warm inside? I'm not throwing those questions out in jerkish way, so please don't take it that way, but frankly I don't really care how you personally feel I should do things. lol. Not really sure how to further elaborate on that

Its irrelevant how many people are 'following us around'. I have no idea what that even means

On a side note. Based on how you feel I should be doing things, or acting, and your own preferencees to what you yourself look for in a program.Id put money down that youre either retired, or semi retired - or fitting into the 60+ age category. Porbably a blue collar career either in oil and gas or retail of some sort? If so, that's ok.....youre not in my target demographic.! I will however log your opinions and will honestly take it into account

Last edited by wildside2014; 03-01-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I must ask. What exactly is it you expect of me? Are you expecting me to flavor your day by politely begging you to be my biggest fan? Or act, speak, post etc in a way that pumps your own tires or makes you feel warm inside? I'm not throwing those questions out in jerkish way, so please don't take it that way, but frankly I don't really care how you personally feel I should do things. lol. Not really sure how to further elaborate on that

Its irrelevant how many people are 'following us around'. I have no idea what that even means

On a side note. Based on how you feel I should be doing things, or acting, and your own preferencees to what you yourself look for in a program.Id put money down that youre either retired, or semi retired - or fitting into the 60+ age category. Porbably a blue collar career either in oil and gas or retail of some sort? If so, that's ok.....youre not in my target demographic.! I will however log your opinions and will honestly take it into account
I'm going to chime in here and give you some free advice. These people you're arguing with are the exact demographic you're pandering to. So what they want is what they're going to watch, and they represent a good cross section of the viewers out there.
Now from the outside looking in there's been a pretty good list of suggestions and tips from a whole bunch of different people on this forum. From a business stand point I'd be taking those and others and tailoring a platform that sells that, exactly what they want.
Nobody cares about your back story or how much work it is to get there, and nobody is going to buy (support) an inferior product. High end, what the viewers want, or forget it.
Now nobody on this forum or that knows me will ever accuse me of biting my tong or not telling it like it is. But when I'm selling a hunt, the customer buying the hunt is the most important part of that equation.
Now in the last 17 or 18 years I've been in the outfitting racket I've only had 2 or 3 Canadian clients, so when I'm on here I'm talking to peers, average joes and likeminded, and sometimes not so likeminded guys 😉 But if you come across like a whiny douch right off the bat you've already lost any chance of them being loyal to your product. And honestly some of your comments come across as "this is the way it is" and "poor me, why don't you like me"

Not trying to be a dick, but business is ruthless. At times I wish somebody would have told me the way it was when I was first starting out.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:48 PM

There are some shows on Wild I like, some I hate. The good thing is, there are a ton of them, so you can explore, see who and what you like, and PVR those, avoiding those others you detest.

Thanks to the OP for a very good explanation of how things work.

I'd say the one aspect that might account for more "crap" is that producers/hosts buy a slot on Wild, whereas on regular networks you have to convince them of the value and quality of your product, and then the network pays the producer. I could be wrong here, but it sounds like if you can pay Wild, you get a show. I think that gets you some hosts who might know a lot about hunting or fishing, and who obviously can rustle up sponsors, but who may not really be very good "TV Personalities". I don't feel any need to name names and slag anybody, but some are, to me, either boring or painful to watch.

All that said, hats off to all who get up off their rears trying to make their dreams come true.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I'm going to chime in here and give you some free advice. These people you're arguing with are the exact demographic you're pandering to. So what they want is what they're going to watch, and they represent a good cross section of the viewers out there.
Now from the outside looking in there's been a pretty good list of suggestions and tips from a whole bunch of different people on this forum. From a business stand point I'd be taking those and others and tailoring a platform that sells that, exactly what they want.
Nobody cares about your back story or how much work it is to get there, and nobody is going to buy (support) an inferior product. High end, what the viewers want, or forget it. Now nobody on this forum or that knows me will ever accuse me of biting my tong or not telling it like it is. But when I'm selling a hunt, the customer buying the hunt is the most important part of that equation.
Now in the last 17 or 18 years I've been in the outfitting racket I've only had 2 or 3 Canadian clients, so when I'm on here I'm talking to peers, average joes and likeminded, and sometimes not so likeminded guys �� But if you come across like a whiny douch right off the bat you've already lost any chance of them being loyal to your product. And honestly some of your comments come across as "this is the way it is" and "poor me, why don't you like me"

Not trying to be a dick, but business is ruthless. At times I wish somebody would have told me the way it was when I was first starting out.
If I came across as poor me ill chalk that up to lost in translation. My apologies on that end. As far as 'this is how it is' comments, ill stand by those. Because that is how it is Tork. And yes, ive been a member here for sometime and I routinely read your posts so I respect what you are saying. I was never whining, or in the least didn't try to come across that way as its not my intent. Was simply laying out the costs associated with what you are referring to a high end product. Both in production value and content. A lot of people seem to have this notion that its easy, and like any business around it aint. Anywhoo. This thread seems to be turning into me vouching for myself, and in reality it was intended to shed some light on the industry. That's it that's all
Old 03-01-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
There are some shows on Wild I like, some I hate. The good thing is, there are a ton of them, so you can explore, see who and what you like, and PVR those, avoiding those others you detest.

Thanks to the OP for a very good explanation of how things work.

I'd say the one aspect that might account for more "crap" is that producers/hosts buy a slot on Wild, whereas on regular networks you have to convince them of the value and quality of your product, and then the network pays the producer. I could be wrong here, but it sounds like if you can pay Wild, you get a show. I think that gets you some hosts who might know a lot about hunting or fishing, and who obviously can rustle up sponsors, but who may not really be very good "TV Personalities". I don't feel any need to name names and slag anybody, but some are, to me, either boring or painful to watch.

All that said, hats off to all who get up off their rears trying to make their dreams come true.
NAILED IT OKO! 100% if you pay, you get to play. Shows DO have to meet certain criteria to make tv, but really if you pay your wildtv broadcast fees youre on national tv.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
But again, its Nickelback syndrome. Just because you personally think its garbage really in the grand scheme of things doesn't mean much, considering he has a pretty loyal viewer base. Again, longest running show on Canadian outdoors television. He knows his niche and I respect that. Just like the Boneyard knows their niche. Just like The fever knows theirs, heck just like Duck Dynasty knows their niche in the market place. A lot of guys think duck dynasty is garbage but they have MILLIONS of die hards.
sorry bro,I like to give credit where credit is due, not based on longevity. TJ Schanky may have been around a while, but that gives him no status. It's a rich man's game and its about personality and some just don't have it.....the omniscient perspective dies hard with most.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
sorry bro,I like to give credit where credit is due, not based on longevity. TJ Schanky may have been around a while, but that gives him no status. It's a rich man's game and its about personality and some just don't have it.....the omniscient perspective dies hard with most.
I hope you're not referring to TJ as a rich man ! lol
Old 03-01-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Firstly , I wish to apologize for not being part of your target audience demographic ... I'm retired , I'm old and probably have been around the block a few times too many.
However, for a small consultation fee, I honestly believe I can save you a pile of time, money, frustration, anxiety, disappointment, anger and depression .. in that order.
Should you choose not to take up my offer, I sincerely hope you prove me wrong.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I hope you're not referring to TJ as a rich man ! lol
I don't think he's rich...... but does he have a job? Being an outdoor writer can't be paying the bills!!!
Old 03-01-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I don't think he's rich...... but does he have a job? Being an outdoor writer can't be paying the bills!!!
I think he does some work, but the show and writing are likely the bulk of what he's doing.
I'm sure it's a real grind to stay afloat off what these guys are making from the shows.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:58 PM

Wish you the best in your endeavours.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I don't know if he's rich either, I've never met the man.

But I think, he's a stand up guy.

He sure took a lot of negitive comment when he was here, and he keep his cool. That takes a special kinda guy. That impresses me.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-01-2017, 05:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
There's the attitude again. I agree with Swede. The entitled attitude was present from the very get go of this thread.
We all get a little attitude at times. Attitude isnt a fatal flaw in my books.
Poeple learn and the smart ones improve with time. At least I sure hope they do cause if they don't I'm in real big trouble.

I used to be the kind of guy I hoped to H E double hockey sticks I'd never meet.

I have a lot more respect for a man who will admit he's wrong then one who never makes mistakes.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-01-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I don't know if he's rich either, I've never met the man.

But I think, he's a stand up guy.

He sure took a lot of negitive comment when he was here, and he keep his cool. That takes a special kinda guy. That impresses me.
He's definitely a stand up guy. Him and Rich are just two normal guys doing something they love doing, no getting rich at this level of the game.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:

You can bet a blue collar retiree from the oil and gas industry is most certainly in the target demographic of the companies you need to be sponsors and pay for ads to run your show,however. Take it for what it is worth. I wish you all the best in your career and hope to run into you in the field one day so we can chew the rag about Big Als.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Id put money down that youre either retired, or semi retired - or fitting into the 60+ age category. Porbably a blue collar career either in oil and gas or retail of some sort? If so, that's ok.....youre not in my target demographic.! I will however log your opinions and will honestly take it into account
I'd reassess your assumption of the market. The retired and soon to be retired over the next decade or so blue collar baby boomers are the section of the market who have the time, money to view and purchase advertisers product, a higher percentage grew up rural and are far more likely to have grown up hunting and fishing. Most are not interested in sensationalized, metal music accompanied thrill kill videos. Not that there is anything wrong with that market segment but I think there is a far larger market for those that are more interested in a more mature style outdoor entertainment production such as Shockey produces. I've seen little blue haired old ladies, housewives, little kids all enjoy his show. I've seen these same people switch the channel soon as some fenced hunt loudmouth huntfomercial comes on. He produces a product that offends few. He is successful because he caters to a much larger but calmer general interest outdoor market that encompases all demographics and has the money or backing to produce a high quality product to target that market.

Last edited by Bushrat; 03-02-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
He's definitely a stand up guy. Him and Rich are just two normal guys doing something they love doing, no getting rich at this level of the game.

x2

TJ's a great guy-works hard at what he does

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 03-02-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Sounds like what Wildside is doing to me. I will check out your vids Wildside.

From reading this thread, seems to me a good back and forth and opinions being taken into consideration on both sides.

Tune and tweak as needed as you go along. Good luck chasing the dream Wildside.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post

Sounds like what Wildside is doing to me. I will check out your vids Wildside.

From reading this thread, seems to me a good back and forth and opinions being taken into consideration on both sides.

Tune and tweak as needed as you go along. Good luck chasing the dream Wildside.
The kind words are very much appreciated
Old 03-02-2017, 12:03 PM

IMO only... I believe it is things like Wild TV and the other outdoorsmen shows that have made hunting too mainstream. It is because of these shows that hunting is being challenged so much by the naysayers. If these shows weren't on TV I bet there would be less want to be idiots ruining our hunting heritage and culture too. Because of media there are so many people getting the idea to go hunting, so much so that now half the hunters out there don't even hunt for the meat. They give the meat away. Doesn't seem right.

I have watched a few of the shows and it seems that everyone in the shows is doing it for glory, fame and money. That was the turn off for me. I don't care to watch someone else make money and stick out their chest shooting game that I will never taste.

Wildside... if you want to pursue your passion of hunting instead of making shows how about mentoring some of the young outdoorsmen and women about what it takes to become a good hunter. It would go alot further in benefiting our hunting traditions.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-02-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
IMO only... I believe it is things like Wild TV and the other outdoorsmen shows that have made hunting too mainstream. It is because of these shows that hunting is being challenged so much by the naysayers. If these shows weren't on TV I bet there would be less want to be idiots ruining our hunting heritage and culture too. Because of media there are so many people getting the idea to go hunting, so much so that now half the hunters out there don't even hunt for the meat. They give the meat away. Doesn't seem right.

I have watched a few of the shows and it seems that everyone in the shows is doing it for glory, fame and money. That was the turn off for me. I don't care to watch someone else make money and stick out their chest shooting game that I will never taste.

Wildside... if you want to pursue your passion of hunting instead of making shows how about mentoring some of the young outdoorsmen and women about what it takes to become a good hunter. It would go alot further in benefiting our hunting traditions.
Mentoring is a regular thing for me red. I very rarely shoot in the bird blind anymore. I more focus on getting guys into bird hunting and working my dog and the calls for guys. Not to mention, My 6 yr old son
Old 03-02-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Mentoring is a regular thing for me red. I very rarely shoot in the bird blind anymore. I more focus on getting guys into bird hunting and working my dog and the calls for guys. Not to mention, My 6 yr old son
Good stuff. This is a good focus. IMO... make shows that maybe emphasize the mentoring and then I will watch with pleasure.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-02-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Good stuff. This is a good focus. IMO... make shows that maybe emphasize the mentoring and then I will watch with pleasure.
We have a youtube focused episode where we took my son and nephew out duck hunting. There will be plenty more sir