Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
what show are you with???????
Amongst hunting stuff's many accolades he guides for Shockey.

LC
Old 02-22-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
that....is epic. Hunting stuff, you have a fan boy then lol
Old 02-22-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
There are ads on Youtube.

Many youtubers are using high end cameras, not the "tier 2 garbage you supposed they use" I know a few that use quality cameras, ie RED
I never said 'garbage' man. Again, ive been through the youtube rodeo. We are going to be utilizing youtube for sure, but in no way will it be our only medium. I'm fairly confident MOST youtube specific shows aren't using $225,000.00 cameras
Old 02-22-2017, 10:07 AM

I watch WildTV for the entertainment of 'exotic' hunts and some fishing. Weather it be in North/South America, Europe, Asia or basically anyway, I'm in.
These types of hunts/adventures tend to be guided, as that is either mandatory or simply more practical.
The Rinella/Rogan or Solo type shows are interesting because of the concept and the personailites.
If I want wilderness adventures and seeing wildlife I'll watch NatGeo.

Don't know what your 'model' will be but if your walking around the bush, camping, shooting some ducks, doing a bit of fishing and big game shooting, I wont be watching. Sounds like stuff I do myself.

Guess my point is that if a production is focused an a certain type of adventure I's be more likely to watch than a random collection of activities.

Good luck on your quest, hope it comes together for you one day.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex811 View Post
I watch WildTV for the entertainment of 'exotic' hunts and some fishing. Weather it be in North/South America, Europe, Asia or basically anyway, I'm in.
These types of hunts/adventures tend to be guided, as that is either mandatory or simply more practical.
The Rinella/Rogan or Solo type shows are interesting because of the concept and the personailites.
If I want wilderness adventures and seeing wildlife I'll watch NatGeo.

Don't know what your 'model' will be but if your walking around the bush, camping, shooting some ducks, doing a bit of fishing and big game shooting, I wont be watching. Sounds like stuff I do myself.

Guess my point is that if a production is focused an a certain type of adventure I's be more likely to watch than a random collection of activities.

Good luck on your quest, hope it comes together for you one day.
And that's totally fair. We wont please everyone for sure!
Old 02-22-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
The WildSide
CAN you put up link still cant find anything on youtube ?
Old 02-22-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
CAN you put up link still cant find anything on youtube ?
In the search area type in Wildside hunting. Their videos are there
Old 02-22-2017, 12:29 PM

meat eater has ruined every hunting show out there for me. steve is hands down the best outdoorsman i have seen on film. obviously he has sponsors, but at least you can watch a show without feeling like your walking through a bass pro shop for a half hour. and the diversity of his subject matter is awesome, hard to get bored. tring to watch canadian tradition or canada in the rough makes me wanna spew anymore. (always kind of has)
buddy on canadian tradition should charge the batteries in his camera, be nice to watch about 15 minutes less slow motion in a half hour.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
meat eater has ruined every hunting show out there for me. steve is hands down the best outdoorsman i have seen on film. obviously he has sponsors, but at least you can watch a show without feeling like your walking through a bass pro shop for a half hour. and the diversity of his subject matter is awesome, hard to get bored. tring to watch canadian tradition or canada in the rough makes me wanna spew anymore. (always kind of has)
buddy on canadian tradition should charge the batteries in his camera, be nice to watch about 15 minutes less slow motion in a half hour.
I agree with rinella. But again keep in mind he also has part of his production these days paid for by the partner networks. Hence the zero ads
Old 02-22-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I agree with rinella. But again keep in mind he also has part of his production these days paid for by the partner networks. Hence the zero ads
hopefully your program will lead to a similar outcome...........

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:08 PM

Few thoughts to think about as you continue on. Personally, and I've also thought of filming my own hunt not necessarily to for others pleasure but still want quality footage for myself. One of my favorite shows on tv was guide life by brad fry. He did not use $225000 cameras or have near the overhead that your carrying, however he had small sponsors and a heck of a show. If I were you I would seriously consider lowering your overhead until you have sponsors covering some costs. I would loose a few guys off your crew to help attract sponsorship and lowering your overhead. It's fine to film a friend and make his hunt part of your show like many shows do. As much as I commend you on jumping in head first doing what you love I would watch you don't burden yourself as the failure rate is so high in this industry. Also what you might think is great content as far as adventure or what I call in a show as the "filler" others way not so I wouldn't base your show off it.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr1000 View Post
Few thoughts to think about as you continue on. Personally, and I've also thought of filming my own hunt not necessarily to for others pleasure but still want quality footage for myself. One of my favorite shows on tv was guide life by brad fry. He did not use $225000 cameras or have near the overhead that your carrying, however he had small sponsors and a heck of a show. If I were you I would seriously consider lowering your overhead until you have sponsors covering some costs. I would loose a few guys off your crew to help attract sponsorship and lowering your overhead. It's fine to film a friend and make his hunt part of your show like many shows do. As much as I commend you on jumping in head first doing what you love I would watch you don't burden yourself as the failure rate is so high in this industry. Also what you might think is great content as far as adventure or what I call in a show as the "filler" others way not so I wouldn't base your show off it.
x2! Brad Fry had a great show. I would add a couple other things to consider when filming a show that I like. Because of all the commercials on wild TV do yourself a favour when editing to not re-show the same footage we just watched before the commercial and then again after the commercial. The shows are short enough and I hate repeated info. I like background information on the hunt. Do as many DIY hunts as you can. For me i'm not a fan of guided hunts all the time. A few are ok, but when its just the host showing up shooting the animal and on to the next hunt! seems like they don't appreciate the time in the field. Driven TV is a good example of this, can't stand the fakeness and over excitedness. If you have a female on your staff its fine if their not all dolled up for the camera. nobody hunts with that much makeup, thats half the reason my wife hates females in most shows is its not real. and lastly while editing if you think you look like a tool then chances are so will we. Just be normal and tell it how it is. I don't want long range hunting shows because I think their boring. Like best of the west, anybody can ride around in a truck and shoot at a 1000 yards with the equipment they have. Some guys love it but not for me.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:38 AM

While I'm not a fan of all the ads on Wild TV it's not so much the ads themselves that put me off...its the quantity...seems a hunter goes a few steps, see something (insert ads), determines its legal game (insert ads), puts on a stalk (insert ads), aims and just about to pull the trigger (insert ads)....so on and so on...often the same ad is repeated ad nauseum...case in point... While she's very cute, if I see that Hinterland Who's Who girl talking about lynx or grizzly again, I'm gonna lose it!!!
Old 02-23-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I never said 'garbage' man. Again, ive been through the youtube rodeo. We are going to be utilizing youtube for sure, but in no way will it be our only medium. I'm fairly confident MOST youtube specific shows aren't using $225,000.00 cameras

true, and no need (a guy can pick up a nice new 8K Red Weapon for $50K)

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 02-23-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Lol. Accolades.

True, I WAS the star of the 1975 Waterhole Rodeo. Lol

Filming a show is tough. For instance, I hated The Revenant.

Keep doing what you like to do. You will never please everyone. But those you do will appreciate it. Ive been followed around by a few cameramen/camerawomen (Rachel Ahtila). That girl is a perfect example of never giving up and making your dream come true.

Now if I could only score more time than TJ's dog in an Argo commercial, Id be set for life
Old 02-23-2017, 08:46 PM

I think Uncut Angling is a model that will be more prevalent in the future. Not a hunting show, but the format could be easily transferred.

To be honest, I rarely watch Wild TV anymore. I do watch a bunch of WFN though.

SS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-23-2017, 10:46 PM

It's a tough gig all around. If you're honestly concerned about spending 50-60K per year getting going then duck out right now. You're no where near where you need to be to play in the big leagues.
Hanging out with the big possi worked great for Primos back in the DVD hay days, but you ain't Primos.
All of the top shows in the U.S., which is what most if not all are striving to be are one host, sometimes two and they travel.
Alberta is cool, but it gets boring watching guys shoot dink elk or medium class whitetails or a 170" mule deer after waiting 8 years for the draw.
Viewers (for the most part) want to see hosts consistently crushing monsters in fair chase situations. Guided or not, it doesn't matter. But you're not killing a grizzly, stone sheep, Dall sheep, goat, Caribou or a just about anything south of the border without an outfitter.
I work with some big shows out of the states, and if there's no kill, there's no show. Sure we take lots of video during the hunt, but nobody wants to watch me buying groceries in town and getting parts for a plane, they just don't care about that chit.
Scenery, personalities, stalks and kills on trophy quality game. If you have that you'll be successful, if not you're going to be just another short lived average Joe. Pardon then pun.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:34 PM

Pardon the pun 😉
Old 02-24-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Lol. Accolades.

True, I WAS the star of the 1975 Waterhole Rodeo. Lol

Filming a show is tough. For instance, I hated The Revenant.

Keep doing what you like to do. You will never please everyone. But those you do will appreciate it. Ive been followed around by a few cameramen/camerawomen (Rachel Ahtila). That girl is a perfect example of never giving up and making your dream come true.

Now if I could only score more time than TJ's dog in an Argo commercial, Id be set for life
Oh and he is modest too

He has done a lot for every firearm owner in this great land amongst other things.

LC
Old 02-25-2017, 09:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

PVR, watch the shows that suit my fancy, skip the commercials.

No complaints.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-25-2017, 12:08 PM

When i sit down to watch the television i want to watch a quality show , not commercials. Thats what were watching the most of.
I PVR everything and don't start watching until 8 minutes in because of the advertising...The same advertising over and over and over...Regardless of the shows costs , your costs I'm sitting watching for entertainment value.

My favourite is still sitting down and watching a DVD in high resolution which gets lost in lots of Wild TV episodes .

Theres reasons why guys Like Brad Fry aren't there anymore. With smart Tv's and Pc's you can watch excellent You Tube videos at your leisure. I don't have to wait a week for the next new episode to air or PVR to watch it.

Kohler also makes me taste Throw up in the back of my throat. He is ruining the Sheep hunter's secret spots in the Wilmore , he's a poor actor , he's arrogant on and off the camera.

Steve Eckland brings the only Class to the edge, Helgie is Ok but to me their riding on the coat tails of Steves Professionalism .. He's a Class A guy on and off the Show.

Aim higher with your show and hopefully you will be as successful as you are in your dreams. You Tube is where its at but i think to your original question , Then Yes the overload of sponsors has no entertainment value..It's a turn off and not what the viewer wants.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
It's a tough gig all around. If you're honestly concerned about spending 50-60K per year getting going then duck out right now. You're no where near where you need to be to play in the big leagues.
Hanging out with the big possi worked great for Primos back in the DVD hay days, but you ain't Primos.
All of the top shows in the U.S., which is what most if not all are striving to be are one host, sometimes two and they travel.
Alberta is cool, but it gets boring watching guys shoot dink elk or medium class whitetails or a 170" mule deer after waiting 8 years for the draw.
Viewers (for the most part) want to see hosts consistently crushing monsters in fair chase situations. Guided or not, it doesn't matter. But you're not killing a grizzly, stone sheep, Dall sheep, goat, Caribou or a just about anything south of the border without an outfitter.
I work with some big shows out of the states, and if there's no kill, there's no show. Sure we take lots of video during the hunt, but nobody wants to watch me buying groceries in town and getting parts for a plane, they just don't care about that chit.
Scenery, personalities, stalks and kills on trophy quality game. If you have that you'll be successful, if not you're going to be just another short lived average Joe. Pardon then pun.
I kinda disagree Tork. I watched the episode where Ryan Kolher(sp) was bow hunting elk down by Rock Lake. He had a nice 6 point at 30 yds screaming at him but he never got a shot. To me there is nothing more exciting than an elk screaming at you. That episode was a been there done that thing for me and I really enjoyed the show. I think that a very occasional show where there is no kill is ok. But you're right in the fact that in the US it is totally different. JMHO
Old 02-25-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnut View Post
I kinda disagree Tork. I watched the episode where Ryan Kolher(sp) was bow hunting elk down by Rock Lake. He had a nice 6 point at 30 yds screaming at him but he never got a shot. To me there is nothing more exciting than an elk screaming at you. That episode was a been there done that thing for me and I really enjoyed the show. I think that a very occasional show where there is no kill is ok. But you're right in the fact that in the US it is totally different. JMHO
I like those shows too Huntnut, but only on occasion. And he was hunting a good bull, it just didn't play out. When I said hunt for dink elk, I meant the 3 point and 5 point farmland Bulls that never reach 3 years old because they're all shot out. Now if that's what you hunt, then have at it. Just meant when watching a TV show with supposed professionals I want to see those 330-390" class Bulls.
And ya, those U.S. shows will not show a non successful hunt, at least the ones I deal with. Which at times is hard to swallow, because with no show I get nothing out of the deal what so ever 😞
Old 02-25-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I like those shows too Huntnut, but only on occasion. And he was hunting a good bull, it just didn't play out. When I said hunt for dink elk, I meant the 3 point and 5 point farmland Bulls that never reach 3 years old because they're all shot out. Now if that's what you hunt, then have at it. Just meant when watching a TV show with supposed professionals I want to see those 330-390" class Bulls.
And ya, those U.S. shows will not show a non successful hunt, at least the ones I deal with. Which at times is hard to swallow, because with no show I get nothing out of the deal what so ever 😞
Hey Tork. What shows have you worked with? I'd love to watch your hunts. I'm sure others on AO would too.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
MY WHOLE POINT.....we need to support guys like myself. I do it for no other reason than to share my own experiences in the field. I do it for fun. Us film guys are in fact part of the same community of outdoorsman as every guy that comes on here and blasts verbal poop. I'm flabbergasted there isn't more support for local video products that manage to go mainstream.
Odd comment to me just because we hunt doesn't mean we need to support something we don't like. I have heard this comment a few times. I use to have WildTV and couldn't justify the 3$...kind of sad but I would prefer a dark roast Starbuck coffee once a month more. Most of it is crap (including the "made in AB stuff", over advertised, think it hurts hunting and no real value for my time. If it's not making you money don't do it. Just enjoy the outdoors and not worry about it covering your costs. Life is easier that way.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Hey Tork. What shows have you worked with? I'd love to watch your hunts. I'm sure others on AO would too.
If you go on YouTube you can find the two part Steve West show. That was in our transition year up north, so the previous outfitter actually guided the hunt.
Not sure where you would find it but we have a moose and a mule deer show with LL bean from when we were in Alberta, that aired on the sportsmans channel in the U.S.
This year we have Craig Boddington with Petersons doing a moose hunt in September and Aaron Neilson with sports Afield doing a bear hunt this spring, moose in September and Whitetail in November.
My hound guide is friends with the Boneyard guys as well, they came and did a hound hunt for bears last spring which should air right away on Wild TV. High energy guys on screen, and I honestly didn't know what to expect. But both very professional in the field and really nice guys.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:04 PM

Right on! I hold Boddington in the highest regard and will look forward to seeing that. Gonna check out the other ones too. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2017, 09:06 PM

I will pass on The Boneyard. I'm sure they are nice fellas, but I won't waste 30 minutes on their show. IMO, it is the cheesiest show to ever air.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:08 PM

I'll add I don't normally do any Canadian shows as its really not my demographic or target audience. But if they pay like any other clients, they're more then welcome to bring a camera along 😉
Old 02-25-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I will pass on The Boneyard. I'm sure they are nice fellas, but I won't waste 30 minutes on their show. IMO, it is the cheesiest show to ever air.

I agree sir, but from the promo it does look ok, so I'll reserve judgment until I see the full episode 😉