Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-04-2017, 08:23 PM

Default Mathews Line Up

Thinking of upgrading my Extreme and looking for any advice on the Mathews new line up.

If anyone has any experience with the Halon X or 32, Monster, safari, etc, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Please no Mathews haters...
Old 02-04-2017, 10:28 PM

Just picked up my halon 32 a couple weeks ago. Shot the 2017 Hoyt bowtech and prime also but the Mathews won me over. Although it is a heavy bow I found it absolutely dead in hand, smooth to draw, and can put out some great speed. I've owned Hoyt's and primes before this, I was kinda of a Mathews hater but they have made huge changes with the halon series bows. I suggest shooting all the new bows and see what feels the best to you.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:27 PM

I don't hate Matthew's there a good bow but I would check out the new APA lineup.... you won't be disappointed....

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 02-05-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
I don't hate Matthew's there a good bow but I would check out the new APA lineup.... you won't be disappointed....

Thx Backyard, which of the APA's would you recommend if budget is not a consideration?
Old 02-05-2017, 04:21 PM

Depends for target (38 rds)or just hunting (king cobra or m32) or both(m34)..last last three don't come with the m1 cam but I would order them with it...

Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 02-05-2017, 08:45 PM
Banned

ive been a Mathews and Hoyt and bow tech guy they all are great but hoyts expensive as all hell now. I choose the bow tech for price and can it shoot. Only way I'd shoot an apa is if it giving to me for free
Old 02-05-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
ive been a Mathews and Hoyt and bow tech guy they all are great but hoyts expensive as all hell now. I choose the bow tech for price and can it shoot. Only way I'd shoot an apa is if it giving to me for free
I agree ... Better choices than the APA in my opinion. I really like my Prime but Bowtech has some new bows that are impressive. Hoyt's have priced themselves out of my price range.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:13 PM

Lol its all good everyone has there own opinion

Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 02-06-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
Lol its all good everyone has there own opinion

You are a staff shooter so you don't get to have an opinion however I can buy whatever bow I want so good on you for supporting your brand but unbiased you are not
Old 02-06-2017, 01:38 PM

I have tried a lot of different brands in the 35 years I hate been shooting.... and we'll this is the bow for me otherwise I would not have applied for the position !!! If you don't like them that's fine that's your opinion....I liked shooting my Matthew's dxt I just wanted a little more out a bow..... my rpm was good to but it was killing my shoulder ...

Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 02-09-2017, 11:06 AM

One thing that is the most overlooked aspect to picking a bow is how it fits you. I would shoot as many bows as you can and keep in mind string angle when you anchor, how the bow fits in your hand, if you tend to be off level as all bows will hold differently. Speed should never be a driving factor in your decision.

No matter where you go to shoot make sure the shop sets up every bow to your exact length and poundage, a lot of shops get lazy and set you up with a bow thats doesn't fit you.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:37 PM

I just bought a new bow. First one since 2011. I tried the Mathews Halon 32 6, bowtech Reign 7, Hoyt pro defiant 34 and pro defiant turbo. These were all at 28 inches and 60lbs. I absolutely hated the pro defiant turbo, it had a rough draw cycle, very small valley, was loud and had quite a bit of hand shock. The pro defiant 34 was much better, smooth draw held nice but I didn't like the feel after the shot. The bowtech was nice, I really had no complaints about it, drew nice, held nice and didn't have a lot of hand shock. It was the bow I figured I was going to buy. I then shot the Halon 32, I have never been a Mathews guy, never owned one. I kept going back and shooting it. It had such a smooth draw, held very nice and next to no hand shock. It just felt the best to me. It did feel a little heavy but not excessive. It is now the first Mathews I have ever owned. I never shot any of the new Elites since the shop didn't have them in yet but I have never been able to get used to their grips. My last bow was an elite pulse and I never did get comfortable with the grip. The only thing I disliked about all these bows was the price, wow have they ever gone up since 2011.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remps17 View Post
One thing that is the most overlooked aspect to picking a bow is how it fits you. I would shoot as many bows as you can and keep in mind string angle when you anchor, how the bow fits in your hand, if you tend to be off level as all bows will hold differently. Speed should never be a driving factor in your decision.

No matter where you go to shoot make sure the shop sets up every bow to your exact length and poundage, a lot of shops get lazy and set you up with a bow thats doesn't fit you.
This is a good statement i would add that cam lean is also often overlooked