Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-25-2016, 04:20 PM

Default how fixed broadheads fly

I haven't played around with different fixed broadheads, ive always used 100gr Slick tricks. I know most advertise to fly like fieldpoints but mine never did. My local archery guy said a longer arrow should help the flight be closer to my field points. Thoughts?

Please note I wont be using mechanical heads so any advice on fixed broadheads would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:04 PM

Been shooting fixed blade for years , the only vented blades I used were Rotharrs and Howard Hills .
As far as shafts go, it has more to do with a balance of spine than it does an arbitrary arrow length and each head is a little different .
I take it however you are shooting s compound and not a stick bow so I Will leave any further discussion to those that shoot them.
Cat
Old 07-26-2016, 09:04 AM

95% of broadheads will fly field point accurate however you must broadhead tune your bow to achieve this.
As Cat mentioned arrow spine is an important factor.
I have better accuracy and tuning with a slightly heavier spine as I was on the edge of moving up a spine stiffness already. From what I have also read you are better to have a shaft a bit on the stiff side than one on the weak side.
I will be shooting mechanicals this year however if I was to try out fixed I would check out muzzy trocar.
Also I should note that the fact that I am shooting a mechanical I will still broadhead tune my bow with some fixed blade broadheads I have as it is just as important with mechanicals as with fixed to have them flying true!