Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-24-2016, 01:55 PM

Default Moose rut

Sorry one more question, I have been shooting my bow for a few years now, but this is the first year I will be hunting with it. Just wondering if shooting from a tree stand will affect the accuracy of my sights. Because I will be shooting downward if I need to re sight my bow from my tree stand?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2016, 03:03 PM

In short yes. No one can tell you how much to be exactly sure. I'd recommend that you set up a target at different distances and shoot from your tree stand so you can get an idea. Plus practice in awkward positions. I find that very seldom in the hunting world do you get to use your target form. (Sitting, kneeling, feet facing target, ect).

Happy hunting
Old 07-24-2016, 06:38 PM

Accuracy, no. Point of impact, yes. Think of pythagoras theorem. If a is the height of your stand, c will be your line of sight distance, and b will be your true horizontal distance. The true horizontal distance is the one we concern ourselves with since it is the actual distance that the force of gravity has to act on the arrow, and therfore it is the distance you should be aiming for, not the line of sight distance.

So, for an example. You are shooting from 24 feet high ( 20 feet high siting and shooting), which is 8 yards, and he is walking in a draw which is 21 feet deep (7 yards). This elevation difference is 15 yards, and will represent A in pythagoras theorem. A deer comes out 35 yards away, according to the range finder. This will be C in pythagoras theorem. So according to the math, B should be about 31 yards, which represents the true distance balistically to the target

In the example, if you shot for 35 you would be about 5 yards high. Doesn't sound like much, but it likely would be a poor hit at best, or even a miss, depending on the speed of your bow. At that range you are likely 4 or 5 inches high!

Luckily, they make angle compensating range finders now that do all the math for us! As an old school rule of thumb, when I can't use an angle compensating range finder, I always take off 5 yards when I'm shooting uphill or downhill when I think it might be steep enough or long enough to make a difference

Another thing you can do is look for a tree at at the target and range horizontally to that. Then you get the true distance and there is no need for angle compensation.

Hope this helps,

Norm
Old 07-25-2016, 01:19 PM

If you just draw back and anchor your anchor point can change too making you shoot high. Try drawing back and achoring looking straight out horizontally from the stand and then without moving arms at all bend at waist until pin is on the animal and let fly
Old 07-25-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archery_nut View Post
Sorry one more question, I have been shooting my bow for a few years now, but this is the first year I will be hunting with it. Just wondering if shooting from a tree stand will affect the accuracy of my sights. Because I will be shooting downward if I need to re sight my bow from my tree stand?

Thanks

No need to re-sight but yes you should practice shooting from a tree stand.

LC
Old 07-25-2016, 09:29 PM

Basically arrow always comes out hot. You have to aim lower than you want to. Best put a bag out at your mid range and give her a few darts. Gravity has less effect due to angle so you will shoot high every time compare to same distance on the LEVEL.

Cheers.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
If you just draw back and anchor your anchor point can change too making you shoot high. Try drawing back and achoring looking straight out horizontally from the stand and then without moving arms at all bend at waist until pin is on the animal and let fly
^This has to come into consideration as well as the other replies about horizontal distance/angle etc. You need to maintain your normal shooting form that you've been practicing all this time while standing on level ground. Practice from an elevated height by drawing horizontally (like you were going to shoot straight out from the stand) then hold that form steady and bend at the waist to bring your "T" form and pin down onto target. Keeping in mind that if you're up high enough, that inclined measured distance of 35 yards may shoot 30, bend at the waist and hold 30, then release.

Just for fun, on the next shot don't bend at the waist and just drop your bow arm (this is incorrect though) and you'll notice the difference between the 2 methods.... The reason for this is that by just dropping your bow arm and not bending at the waist, you are actually changing your draw length and anchor point that you've established on flat ground.

J.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:29 AM

Make sure you try some close shots out of a tree stand to like 5-10 yards.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the input, I'll be practicing this weekend.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Accuracy, no. Point of impact, yes. Think of pythagoras theorem. If a is the height of your stand, c will be your line of sight distance, and b will be your true horizontal distance. The true horizontal distance is the one we concern ourselves with since it is the actual distance that the force of gravity has to act on the arrow, and therfore it is the distance you should be aiming for, not the line of sight distance.

So, for an example. You are shooting from 24 feet high ( 20 feet high siting and shooting), which is 8 yards, and he is walking in a draw which is 21 feet deep (7 yards). This elevation difference is 15 yards, and will represent A in pythagoras theorem. A deer comes out 35 yards away, according to the range finder. This will be C in pythagoras theorem. So according to the math, B should be about 31 yards, which represents the true distance balistically to the target

In the example, if you shot for 35 you would be about 5 yards high. Doesn't sound like much, but it likely would be a poor hit at best, or even a miss, depending on the speed of your bow. At that range you are likely 4 or 5 inches high!

Luckily, they make angle compensating range finders now that do all the math for us! As an old school rule of thumb, when I can't use an angle compensating range finder, I always take off 5 yards when I'm shooting uphill or downhill when I think it might be steep enough or long enough to make a difference

Another thing you can do is look for a tree at at the target and range horizontally to that. Then you get the true distance and there is no need for angle compensation.

Hope this helps,

Norm
X2 and draw like on level ground then bend at your waist to not change your form. This will insure your POI is accurate.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:12 AM

This is also another reason I use an Anchor Sight or No Peep, when shooting from different position or up and down it shows me if my anchor or form has changed to compensate for angles....I can quickly readjust and make a shot with the proper form.

LC
Old 07-26-2016, 09:27 AM

Quick tip....I usually range several trees when standing at the base of my tree stand. Then I attach colored strings to the various trees that I ranged. The colors correspond with the various colors in my sight. Then shoot some practice shots from the stand to confirm all is well.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2016, 12:33 PM

It is essential that you get up in the tree and do some shooting from as many angles as possible. It will build your confidence and will also confirm that you have in fact cleared your tree properly to provide room to draw while sitting and standing.