Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-20-2016, 11:02 PM

Default single or multi pin bow sights

I gotta ask what is your opinion... Single pin wheel sights or multi pin? I know everyone is different but lets get some poll answers going. I am curious because the stacked bow sight can be an issue at times especially with a big bull elk standing in front. Down side to a single pin might be the adjusting of distances. So what are your favourite style sights???
Old 07-20-2016, 11:03 PM

I use the best of both....5 pin housing on a Tommy Hogg.

LC
Old 07-21-2016, 07:12 AM

Single pin.
The new double pin on a single vertical pin by Spott Hogg (fast eddie), Looks to be the bomb.
The clear sight window you have with one pin is worth its wait in gold.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prdtrgttr View Post
Single pin.
The new double pin on a single vertical pin by Spott Hogg (fast eddie), Looks to be the bomb.
The clear sight window you have with one pin is worth its wait in gold.
I have the double pin, it's pretty decent but the two pins do not move independently so you have to trial and error the distance the second pin is at in relation to the top pin.

LC
Old 07-21-2016, 09:58 AM

I use both. I prefer my HHA kingpin over my 5 pin Hoggit. The single pin provides a non cluttered sight window, and the mechanical rheostat let's me fine tune the pin brightness to avoid star-bursting. Until you use this option you really won't appreciate it's worth though.

I set the dial at 32 yards and I am inside an 8" hit window out to 40 yards. Plenty for moose and elk calling season.

The durability of the Kingpin is as good or better than any sight I have ever used as well. It is built to last.

Axcel sights builds a multi pin housing with a mechanical rheostat for their accutouch sight. It lol pretty good too. I know a couple of guys who have them and are happy with them.

Norm
Old 07-21-2016, 10:57 AM

I prefer 3 pins on a moveable pin sight. little confusion. sight in pins for 20 40 60 in lock down position and that gets me to 70 yards. If i have time i can dial to exact yardage
Old 07-21-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmy300 View Post
I prefer 3 pins on a moveable pin sight. little confusion. sight in pins for 20 40 60 in lock down position and that gets me to 70 yards. If i have time i can dial to exact yardage
x2 Running a CBE 3pin tek-hybrid for the past couple of years and really liking the versatility.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:19 PM

IMHO, 40-60 is a huge gap in pins to compensate for. A lot more gap than I would be comfortable shooting with.

That being said 90% of the shots I take are 30 or less.

LC
Old 07-21-2016, 12:40 PM

I really like a multi pin with dial. I don't anticipate shooting beyond 30 while hunting and really enjoy practicing at the other ranges. I have a 5 pin but removed one to clear up some space in the housing. I have not tried the single pin because I feel I'd want at least two or three fixed for hunting situations.
I'd highly recommend getting one with a movable dial at the least. As for the number of pins that may be more of a personal preference
Old 07-21-2016, 12:48 PM

I have tried the slider and didn't like it .... I prefer to set the pins and then I don't have to worry about trying to change it when the animal is coming ... I know I will be set and ready every time as for taking long shots well I don't no need for it where I hunt ... and if I do go out I'm good out to 60 yards and that's far enough ...
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 07-21-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
IMHO, 40-60 is a huge gap in pins to compensate for. A lot more gap than I would be comfortable shooting with.

That being said 90% of the shots I take are 30 or less.

LC
its not bad. my hunting arrows are shooting 328 so no much gap to start. with a little practice its not bad splitting the gap..
Old 07-21-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
I use both. I prefer my HHA kingpin over my 5 pin Hoggit. The single pin provides a non cluttered sight window, and the mechanical rheostat let's me fine tune the pin brightness to avoid star-bursting. Until you use this option you really won't appreciate it's worth though.

I set the dial at 32 yards and I am inside an 8" hit window out to 40 yards. Plenty for moose and elk calling season.

The durability of the Kingpin is as good or better than any sight I have ever used as well. It is built to last.

Axcel sights builds a multi pin housing with a mechanical rheostat for their accutouch sight. It lol pretty good too. I know a couple of guys who have them and are happy with them.

Norm
x2 the kingpin is very well built, lots of good features with the sight. The sight comes with two sight tape wheels that are interchangeable which is nice if you want to shoot two different arrow or broadhead setups. Not a cheap sight but well worth the money
Old 07-21-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
x2 Running a CBE 3pin tek-hybrid for the past couple of years and really liking the versatility.
I have the same one. I like having less pins and be able to shoot 100 yards.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:03 PM

I use a 7 pin spot hogg hogg it and its seems cluttered at times. I love the ability to lock on a target quickly though without having to fiddle with the site. If I could do it again I think I'd do a 3 pin slider. My setup really isnt bad though, you just have to know your pins really well.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:59 PM

I've got a 5 pin MBG Ascent sight. I've used everything from a 7 pin to a single pin. I didn't like 5 pins so I took out one pin and made it a 4 pin. My bottom pin is 50yds and moveable to 80yds. I might take out another pin to free up my field of view even more.