Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-20-2016, 09:40 PM

Default Is ther such thing as a bad anchor point

Is there such thing as a bad anchor point? Or as long as it is precise and consistent does it matter?
Old 07-21-2016, 06:20 AM

If it causes excessive contact of the string with your face it's bad.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:28 AM
Banned

Form matters, posture matters, proper draw length matters, not over bowing yourself matters, if you want to shoot consistently. If your form and posture, and draw length are correct then your anchor point should be correct as well.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:10 AM

^^^^^ Ditto what Kurt said..wise words.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Form matters, posture matters, proper draw length matters, not over bowing yourself matters, if you want to shoot consistently. If your form and posture, and draw length are correct then your anchor point should be correct as well.
I tend to agree with that to a point. If you look at Reo Wilde's posture, it is not what I would call 'textbook' form. Does it work for him? Heck ya. He's one of the most winning archers in the world. I'm starting to think that not everybody is built the same and what feels natural to one person, doesn't always feel great to another. Archery coaches stress having a relaxed bow arm, relaxed release arm, and only have tension in your back muscles, but if my 'proper' shooting form leaves me with tension how can that be beneficial?

I think the most important thing about anchor points are that they are repeatable, each and everytime. That will lead to consistency. The more points of reference, without excessive facial contact by the string, will ensure every shot will be the same.

JMHO
Old 07-21-2016, 09:57 PM

Benefit to having a big nose....I can always find the string

You can have an anchor that is too low or too high that causes you to fight or strain to line up on target. Yes you can have a poor anchor.

A lot of the top pros still use a kisser nock to find consistent anchor.

LC
Old 07-21-2016, 10:41 PM

I was chatting with one of those top pros last week in Utah at the Prime Total Archery Challenge and he said as long as it is repeatable and don't put too much pressure on the string with your face to just go with it. He also stated that 3 reference points was always the best. Additionally, he noted that the peep sight aperture itself can act as one of those reference points, as well as ones nose just touching the string.

I don't think there is any magic there. As long as it feels natural and is repeatable.

He didn't use a kisser.

Norm
Old 07-21-2016, 10:58 PM

I was surprised when I looked at the latest Shrewd catalogue and a lot of the pics had close ups of some pros at full draw and quite a few Reo, Shaw and Macarthy all had a tied in kisser knot (not a button but a knot). Might be more of a target than a 3D or hunting thing but I was surprised to see many using it. I think it really depends on anchor, ergonomics and how the string does or doesn't contact your nose and face whether it can be used or not.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 07-21-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:15 PM

I added a kisser and it made a 10 fold difference.lost a few fps but I don't care.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:56 PM

Good question.

I have a neck and a back problem, I expect my form could never be text book.
And one leg 1/2" to 3/4" longer than the other, shows in the wear of the boot
heel on my right foot.

So ? How does that effect my form ?

Reason I said this is because a persons form can change year in and year out.

Having a solid anchor point is very important (rear sight with a peep) more so if your form should shift though out time.

If your anchor moves your shots will be all over the place.

So I guess the best point of anchor would be the natural spot most comfortable for you at full draw relaxed.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 07-22-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonescreek View Post
Good question.

I have a neck and a back problem, I expect my form could never be text book.
And one leg 1/2" to 3/4" longer than the other, shows in the wear of the boot
heel on my right foot.

So ? How does that effect my form ?

Reason I said this is because a persons form can change year in and year out.

Having a solid anchor point is very important (rear sight with a peep) more so if your form should shift though out time.

If your anchor moves your shots will be all over the place.

So I guess the best point of anchor would be the natural spot most comfortable for you at full draw relaxed.
I think you are right on the money, but I might add that you should look for at least 3 reference points to ensure your anchor is consistent day to day and year to year.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I was surprised when I looked at the latest Shrewd catalogue and a lot of the pics had close ups of some pros at full draw and quite a few Reo, Shaw and Macarthy all had a tied in kisser knot (not a button but a knot). Might be more of a target than a 3D or hunting thing but I was surprised to see many using it. I think it really depends on anchor, ergonomics and how the string does or doesn't contact your nose and face whether it can be used or not.

LC
A knot is the safest way to add a kisser as a reference point. It for sure is potentially easier on the lips! I noticed a few years back that Len had a kisser knot like that. I think if I thought it would help me I wouldn't hesitate to tie one on.