Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-14-2016, 09:13 PM

Default Loud bows and hunting

Do you really find it necessary to have a whisper quiet bow for hunting? Im here shooting by bow trying to get it as quiet as i can, while my dads shooting beside me with his loud as hell old oneida eagle bow. When he releases you hear it, heck you feel it. KA TWANGGEGEGE!!!! He never worried about noise and has gotten many animals in his bow hunting days. Yes i know of animals jumping the string. But even the quiet bows make some noise, and the animals hear it and jump all the same. Loud bow, quiet bow, they both make noise and the animal hear them both. So do you feel that having an ultra quiet bow is really necessary, or will a bow with some noise or even alot of noise work all the same.
Thanks
Old 07-14-2016, 10:01 PM

Yes, the bows are much quieter now but if the animal is close enough, arrow gets to them pretty quick. Have had them hear the arrow draw back on the rest on a frosty day but they usually just look toward the sound. Haven't actually had them spook and take off.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:19 PM

I try to make my bows as quiet as I can. I think it makes s difference. Haven't had anything jump the string on me in a long while. But then I don't shoot past 20 yds. A bow is still not faster than the speed of sound, yet.

Critters on alert or something out of place is probably why string jumping takes place.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:54 PM

The slowest white tail is still faster the the fastest bow!
Cat
Old 07-14-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The slowest white tail is still faster the the fastest bow!
Cat
Even elk will jump/flinch the string

LC
Old 07-15-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Even elk will jump/flinch the string

LC

As crazy as it may sound, I had an elk duck the arrow at 40 yds. I would have to provide film for proof but I could not believe it. Of course the one time in a hundred they do it when I shoot. Hahaha.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:35 AM

Good practice to avoid the string jumping is to only shoot once the animal is eating or looking away . Ive seen so many people shoot when the deer is looking right at them and the deer will jump/duck the string way more often. I don't know if the quietest bow would help as much as a well educated hunter on the other hand I love my halon 6 it's so quiet and dead in the hand hahaha
Old 07-15-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger99 View Post
Good practice to avoid the string jumping is to only shoot once the animal is eating or looking away . Ive seen so many people shoot when the deer is looking right at them and the deer will jump/duck the string way more often. I don't know if the quietest bow would help as much as a well educated hunter on the other hand I love my halon 6 it's so quiet and dead in the hand hahaha
I believe I am an educated hunted, and the elk was feeding quartering away. Very relaxed. Animals do strange things, not always the hunters fault Halon 6.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:23 AM

Never said you did.... I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers just giving a bit of advice, not everyone knows that tip to help minimize the amount of misses or wounded animals . Lol halon 6
Old 07-15-2016, 11:22 AM

Some solid advice is shoot 20yds and under and noise shouldn't affect a whole bunch. Anyone have a deer or other duck at 20yds????
Old 07-15-2016, 12:55 PM

Yup!
A friend told me once he figured a bit further was better because the noise didn't startle them as much .
I shoot a pretty danged quiet long bow but I have seen them duck an arrow from my recurve which was pretty quiet as well .
Cat
Old 07-15-2016, 01:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger99 View Post
Shooting an animal while it is not looking at you is like an unwritten rule however, the ears don't shut off when they are eating or not looking and a whitetail, especially a spooky doe will have the legs drop out from under her at the drop of a hat.

Bowhunting is all about variables and the more you have stacked in your favor the better. Noise, speed, scent, camo, cover, arrow, broadhead, time of year, they all play a role in what your odds will be.

Make do with what you got, a quiet now won't guarantee you an animal but it'll up your odds of a successful harvest.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:07 PM

Well said very true
Old 07-15-2016, 06:17 PM

When I used to shoot compound *with my G5 quest* which did a fine job. I didn't need a quiet bow with fancy silencers and every bell and whistle like a fancy boy.
Yup I'm sure there's a slight advantage 1 time out of ten by having the quietest bow. But the key to bow hunting successfully comes down to more than just the bow. Distance,movement,scent,etc.
Plenty of us are using Trad bows to take down the same game. All of these bows are still better than what our ancestors were successfully using for thousands of years.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:21 PM

They can be fast. Number of years ago while hunting in Neepawa Manitoba I had a small 4x4 whitetail come through an opening from a direction I hadnt anticipated. I turned in the stand and it made a slight sound that froze the buck up locked looking in my direction. After about a minute standoff it started moving again but froze again when it heard me pull back.When it moved its head from looking at my direction to forward I let go. The buck which was obviously on alert exploded out and my arrow actually hit it on the opposite side of chest as it had done a 180 in the time it took the arrow to travel 25 yds.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:56 PM

A quiet bow isn't the be all end all....but it sure as heck doesn't hurt and more than likely helps.

LC
Old 07-16-2016, 04:54 PM

Quite is better louder is well louder. Can make the difference of a string jump or not. But a string whisper isn't usually the right answer but a correctly tuned bow is.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Some solid advice is shoot 20yds and under and noise shouldn't affect a whole bunch. Anyone have a deer or other duck at 20yds????
Yep, last year. Small 4x4 whitetail, he heard/saw me draw...at 15 yards he dropped and the arrow went a good 16 inches over his back. oh well it happens, 100% my fault for drawing at the wrong time.