Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-18-2009, 08:02 AM

No problem with the hijacking guys. I was actually thinking of joining as well. Whereabouts is the club? This group we are getting together is pretty informal and I just thought it would be a good excuse for a guys night....lol. I think us newbies can learn a lot from you more experienced guys and can play some Buck Hunter too!
Old 02-18-2009, 08:35 AM

If you could get my buddies Jamie and Winch101 to go to your get together I would be happy to come as well.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckay View Post
No problem with the hijacking guys. I was actually thinking of joining as well. Whereabouts is the club? This group we are getting together is pretty informal and I just thought it would be a good excuse for a guys night....lol. I think us newbies can learn a lot from you more experienced guys and can play some Buck Hunter too!
Regular Meetings are held on the second Tuesday of the month at:
Mountain View Auditorium - 17th Ave SE and Garden Road

The calendar on the website gives more details.

Cheers
Old 02-18-2009, 11:38 AM

I am now a member if the Sarcee Fish&Game. See you at the next meeting! Hey Captain. It says on the website that you get hunting, fishing and outdoorsmen access to the club properties, as well as admittance to their yearly stocked Trout fishing pond. Do you know anything about this?
Old 02-18-2009, 02:33 PM

Default get togeater

absolutely hit me with a pm,give me your phone number and we can chat.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:42 PM

Darn the 21st wont work for me. I will try tho
Please keep this topic running so we can check and try to make it to the next one.

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I am now a member if the Sarcee Fish&Game. See you at the next meeting! Hey Captain. It says on the website that you get hunting, fishing and outdoorsmen access to the club properties, as well as admittance to their yearly stocked Trout fishing pond. Do you know anything about this?
Hey dm, glad you joined up. Seems like there is a few of us from the Sarcee club that are on this forum! I'm the fish chair for the club so we'll see you at the next meeting!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:57 AM

I am in Calgary too and I am retiring my hunting buddy cause he doesn't want to hunt - he'd rather hit one with the truck then actually hunt!
He just wants to drive around all day and road hunt all the time and shoot from the truck! Luckily its my truck and I don't stop for him to shoot!

I am looking to get out and into the bush and do some real hunting
I've been hunting for a few years now, searching for all big game, mostly a meat hunter, but love seeing a big trophy now and then

I can't make it out this weekend, however I am usually open most other weekends, based on when the wife is on call!
Old 02-19-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve0 View Post

"I am in Calgary too and I am retiring my hunting buddy cause he doesn't want to hunt . . . "
Stay tuned to this thread Steve0! I'm guessing we'll have another get-together soon. One of us who attends the first meeting on Saturday will mosty likely post-up the results of the meeting, and hopefully that will include a place/date/time for our next 'Rendezvous'.

TF

Old 02-19-2009, 01:31 PM

Thanks TF!

Looking forward to it!
I'll on this site all day anyways!

Hope to meet you all soon!

Cheers
Steve-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post

Stay tuned to this thread Steve0! I'm guessing we'll have another get-together soon. One of us who attends the first meeting on Saturday will mosty likely post-up the results of the meeting, and hopefully that will include a place/date/time for our next 'Rendezvous'.

TF

Old 02-20-2009, 08:40 AM

Haven't quite figured out how many of us can make it, but when you walk in to the pub, go left to the games room. See whomever can make it tomorrow night!!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:30 AM

Would like to come but going to the CV derby on Saturday. Just an idea but how about alternating the get togethers from north to south. I live northwest of calgary and to get to the south is over an hour
Old 02-20-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefever View Post

Would like to come but going to the CV derby on Saturday. Just an idea but how about alternating the get togethers from north to south. I live northwest of calgary and to get to the south is over an hour
In my business, I travel the city quite a bit. I have found that if you use Crowchild-Glenmore-Deerfoot (during non rush-hour times) you can get from far NW Calgary to SE Calgary in about 35min. (doing the speed limit) ... especially now that the Glenmore up-grade has been completed.

Having said that, maybe for our next get-together, we could choose a more central location ... it would be nice for as many to attend as possible. I'll present that motion to 'Chairman McKay' during the meeting tomorrow night.

Keep one eye on the horizon,

TF

Old 02-20-2009, 10:00 PM

Like I said I live N.W. of calgary not in the northwest and it takes and hour to go to south calgary. Been traveling around the city for forty years
Old 02-21-2009, 03:04 AM

Default Watch for the Riders Toque

Grew up in north Sask, hope you guys don't mind BS'n with a fellow hunter!

Hopefully I can make it...
Old 02-21-2009, 03:29 AM

Quote:

"Like I said I live N.W. of calgary not in the northwest . . . "
Oops ... sorry about that. I must have mis-read your original post. Ten thousand apologies. Please accept my humble regrets.

Quote:

" . . . Been traveling around the city for forty years"
Hmmm ... Isn't it about time you turned around and went home. Your wife and family probably miss you (if they're still alive).

All in fun

TF

Old 02-23-2009, 09:17 AM

Well, for our first get together, it was a small turn-out, but was still nice to meet some new people. Maybe next time we can all wear blaze orange hats, so we recognize each other....lol. Also, for the next meeting, if anyone has suggestions, we can meet somewhere central for everyone. This time, I was the only one from the South, and felt bad that everyone travelled so far.

Any ideas on somewhere central and quiet?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:38 AM

I had some friends come in from out of town so I couldnt make it, I will definately be in for the next one.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:12 PM

Default Glad to hear it happened.

With the boss's b-day on Saturday I was definately not going to make it. I'm glad that the gathering happened even if the turnout was a bit low. As for location...I'm mentioned before that many local legions tend to be a bit quieter, very cheap for refreshments and there is quite a few of them. Not too sure about access limitations though (members and such). Pretty much anyplace more modern will be busy & noisy on a Sat night. Are we hooked on Saturdays or weekends? Sometimes a Monday or Tuesday offers a quieter venue than a weekend.

I'll definately try to get to the next one regardless of the location. Is there any targetted dates for the next event? The more lead time the better the turnout (maybe).

Good work to all who made the effort to organize & attend.

Zeke
Old 02-23-2009, 10:57 PM

Thumbs up Saturday Night Meeting

Quote:

"Well, for our first get together, it was a small turn-out, but was still nice to meet some new people . . . "
Sorry I couldn't make it Doug. An unexpected family emergency had me committed elsewhere on Saturday. No worries ... all's well now.

However, one of my hunting buddies (not a forum member) did show up in my place. He was quite impressed with the guys that attended. Amoung other good comments, he said; "They're a great bunch of guys ... we should link-up with them for some hunting". He also said that four (4) guys showed up ... in my book, that's not bad for the first get-together!

I live in the S.E. too, but I agree that the next meeting should probably be more centrally located. It will be tough to find a 'quiet' place on a weekend, but I think that's when we'd get the most people to show up. I like the 'Legion' idea, but you can't just walk in ... you have to be a member, or be with a member.

Has anyone got any other ideas for a fairly quite location???

TF

Old 02-25-2009, 12:24 PM

TF, glad all is well now.

Hi all! A Legion would be a good idea, except as mentioned before you need to be a member or be with a member. I think a pubs or lounges are the best places to meet, as long as they are fairly quiet and not overly busy. I mentioned (and we met at the Lighthouse), because I knew it was normally a quiet place. Haven't been to too many pubs in Calgary, so I don't know where else would be good. We are open to suggestions to somewhere central for everyone.

Besides the where for the next one, there is the when? Is everyone okay with Saturday March 7th? Gives us a little time to get it figured out.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:59 PM

Im in for the next one.
Name the place
Old 03-02-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
" . . . Is everyone okay with Saturday March 7th? . . . "
So far, it's good with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscott View Post

" . . . Name the place"
Sorry, I'm not going to be of much help with a location. I agree that having the next meeting on a Friday or Saturday night would be best, cus that's when the most people would likely show up, but I don't know of any pubs or lounges in central Calgary that would be fairly quiet on a Friday or Saturday night.

We may have to find a place that's not so central, yet still 'middelish' Calgary ... does anyone have any ideas/suggestions???

TF

Old 03-04-2009, 04:20 PM

I'm thinking that this Saturday March 7th might be short notice for most people, but let me know if I'm wrong. Would somewhere on Mcleod Trail work for most?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:28 PM

Default Should be OK

I'm OK for this Saturday. The boss has a shift so won't be able to come out and play until about 7 or so. There is a bunch of possibilities on Mac trail. If attendees are underage somewhere like Humptys (Mac & about 25th SW), Smittys right next to Rona on Mac & Southland, perhaps even Phils just off Glenmore between Elbow & Mac Trail. For licensed stuff we could try any of the neighborhood pubs like the Bull & Finch (Mac & Southland).

I spoke to the folks at the Horton Legion and they told me that a membership is not required to use the facility. This Sat they are quite booked up with functions and could not host but this might be somthing to keep in mind for mtg #3.

Zeke
Old 03-05-2009, 08:35 PM

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it out for this Saturday evening. I hope to see you all at the next meeting.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking that this Saturday March 7th might be short notice for most people, but let me know if I'm wrong. Would somewhere on Mcleod Trail work for most?
Although it may be a tad 'south' for some, Macleod Trail works for me. If March 7th isn't going to fly, how about March 14th?

TF

Old 03-07-2009, 04:13 AM

The 14th of March works well for me.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:44 PM

14th would be good I have a meeting with some burbot tonight on PCR
Old 03-07-2009, 01:44 PM

Default 14th is Fine as well

So if we're agreed we'll reschedule to the 14th. I don't want us stumbling on the venue (seems to be our 2nd biggest issue after the date).

Do you folks want me to check the availability of the Horton Legion? I'm not sold on the place and I don't get a commission but I think of we're looking for an inexpensive, kid friendly place that will be fairly quiet on a weekend, the options get quite limited... Any other ideas are welcomed as usual.

Looking for input here so pls post back
Zeke