Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2017, 07:12 AM

Default Selling on Kijiji

Hey guys & gals,

I was wondering if any of you have had experience selling vehicles on Kijiji recently. I put my 2013 F350 up yesterday and had multiple offers within a couple of hours. I've sold on Kijiji in the past and never had issues, but this seemed a little odd to me. A couple of fellas offering to give deposits and for me to take the ad down so they can guarantee the truck for themselves. I understand the theory behind the deposit, I assumed it would be an etransfer if I did accept which is probably safer than PayPal? I like to think its due to having a quality truck and a good deal that attracted the immediate offers, but just want to make sure I'm not missing something. Scammers are pretty crafty nowadays.

Let me know if any of you have had any experiences or know of somebody who has. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:17 AM

Emt fraud on Kijiji is rampant. Cash in hand is the best option.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:23 AM

Default kijiji.

kijiji.ca

in person only
no pay pals
keep ad online till money in hand.
Yes in recent months there a crowd of people that response right away to a ad.
Can i view it. whats your bottom line. where are you located
then they disappear off into the internet never to be heard from again.

the good news! there are buyers out there
just filter thru on they will appear.

in person with cash
Old 03-29-2017, 07:25 AM

Yep cash up front in person, a lot of bs on that site. Something strange going on with prices of the older diesels to. Could hardly give them away, now the prices are way up.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:26 AM

I'm with you on the cash in hand, I would never sell the truck via etransfer. The question is more around the deposit. If a guy offers me $500 deposit to take the ad down so he can guarantee the sale to himself, am I somehow susceptible to losing money somehow. The remainder of the deal would be a certified check or cash in hand, in a few days. It just seemed odd to have multiple similar offers for deposits so fast, raised some red flags is all.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:47 AM

I put my truck on kijiji & sold it in 4 hrs, unseen by him other than pics. Dude deposited 2g's into my bank account to take down ad, met up with him at a later date at the bank, done deal.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:05 AM

I would think that good used trucks are fetching a premium and are hard to find given the fact that so many have gone south in the last two years. That could account for the intense interest in your truck.
If some one emt'd me a deposit to take the ad down, I'd take the money and do a cash deal for the balance.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:06 AM

Post ur add here and lets see what it is. Everything i sell on kijiji is first comes first served am holding nothing to anyone. If u want it then come get it and be quicker than others. I had many people cancel oon a deal 4 o r5 days later putting me in a position where i have to contact other parties to infrom them the item is still for sale as the buyer backed out and suddenly half of them are backing out either cause they have already purchased the item or got worried that the original buyer backed out due to an item defect.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:10 AM

Used vehicles are a tough market right now. Dealerships as well as private operations (i'm sure) are snapping up clean vehicles and taking them down to the states. My father had both Chev and Toyota call him asking him if he would be willing to trade in his used truck and SUV respectively to upgrade to new models at a discount. Both dealerships admitted that they are sending vehicles down to the states because they can make more money on them there than selling new here.

So driving prices up on used vehicles and making clean well maintained vehicles scarce. I have a buddy looking for a used truck right now and is having a bear of a time actually getting to see them before they are sold. I wouldn't say anyone trying to convince you to take it down is a scam. but as always seller beware.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:20 AM

Everyone is to paranoid..
While there is scammers on kijiji, just use your head.

If the buyer is willing to EMT money to you, I'd say that is pretty legit. Now paypal or some other service. No thanks, Cash in hand, or meet at the bank.

FYI, as soon as the buyer makes an EMT, that money is taken out of their account, and held in trust at the bank. Now make sure if it is EMT, to cash it prior to giving the buyer the product, at final payment, hell, I'd even do it right in front of the buyer. As if you wait, they can cancel it, and your SOL.

And YES, there are alot of US buyers looking on kijiji, which is why you were probably flooded with emails. It's pretty easy to figure out the scams, just use common sense.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:27 AM

Default trucks

A fella that i know that makes his living buy/sell trucks says anything with less than a 100.000 km is a target for the usa buyers
Old 03-29-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmax05 View Post
I put my truck on kijiji & sold it in 4 hrs, unseen by him other than pics. Dude deposited 2g's into my bank account to take down ad, met up with him at a later date at the bank, done deal.
Thanks this is what I was looking for, similar experience. This is exactly what I was offered, and ya using common sense it seemed legit, but I don't think a guy can be too cautious. Thanks all for the rest of the input I appreciate it.

This is my truck, great shape, don't need the diesel downsizing to a half ton.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/e...ationFlag=true
Old 03-29-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45/70/500 View Post
A fella that i know that makes his living buy/sell trucks says anything with less than a 100.000 km is a target for the usa buyers
The one offer I had was from a guy in Calgary who plans on flipping it down south. All fair if he can make a dollar on it and I still get what I want. Did some looking into it and he is registered on the AMVIC site which also added some peace of mind.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:16 AM

A few months ago I put my 2012 F-150 on Kijiji, what a pain in the posterior!!!

Lots of calls from dealers who wanted to list it for me "for a good deal" (consignment); lots of calls from people lowballing (some offering less than half); people telling me my truck, which was very clean and low mileage, was just junk anyway but they would do me a favour and take it off my hands; and others who wanted me to drive up to 300 km to meet them just so they could see it! Can you believe there were even people who wanted me to 'finance it' for them?!?!

Anyway, I traded it on a new car for my wife. I got a better deal as a trade than I could get, based on offers received, than selling private. In part that was because the truck was in excellent shape and it was going to be dealt to the USA, where with the Canadian $ where it is it made sense for dealers to sell it there.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:13 PM

Selling vehicles is definitely a pain. I've also had some weird experiences with it. I was once selling a really clean 05 Sierra Denali. Had it listed for probably two weeks, didn't get a single bit of legitimate interest, then in one day I had three people who wanted to see it. Sold it the next day for 90% of my asking price.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:28 PM

Even posting a vehicle on the local bulletin board can be a pain. I posted my truck, said it was a project, needed work, and was not safetied. I don't know if half couldn't read or just want to be a pain, but half of the callers (and it was surprising how many folks saw the ad) asked if it was safetied. I went back 2 days later, pulled the ad down, and parked it in the bush. I'm at a point in life now where I will ask you what you read in the ad, I really don't care if I hurt your feelings if you are wasting my time.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:31 AM

Don't use PayPal in anyway if your selling a vehicle. PayPal is very friendly to the buyer and that can lead to all kinds of problems if they cancel the transaction. Especially if you consider that the buyer has the vehicle and the bill of sale.

I also disagree that cash is king on large sale amounts. You better be able to be sure that the cash is secure until you get it in a bank. Its an old scam. You sell your vehicle, buyer leaves with it and a bill of sale and you are there with the money. What if something "bad" happens by some "unrelated" culprits or circumstance before deposit time? Buyer has a nice vehicle complete with a bill of sale and you are making a police report.

Modern e transfer seems to work good and you can verify it with your on line banking. Still, for a large amount I would insist on a bank draft drawn on the buyers or my bank. Easy to verify by going to the bank together. lots of cameras, security and a paper trail plus you can avoid spelling and amount mistakes. Did this last time I sold an expensive vehicle and the buyer was also comfortable with that and I paid the 9 bucks. 27500.00 sale.

It would be a red flag to me if someone didn't want to go to a bank to get a large draft. Banks are also happy to sell your buyer a draft if the buyer has a big bag of cash with him. Cash is still king for smaller amounts
Old 03-30-2017, 05:36 AM
Banned

kijiji is a shT show,you have to put in capital letters,do not email,calls only,I will not hold it,no dealers or any type of help selling
Old 03-30-2017, 01:03 PM

Selling on Kijiji is a giant PIA.
No shows, tire kickers, scammers, wheeler dealers, flippers.
PayPal is a scam. Certified Cheques can be forged and even cancelled. Yep, asked at my bank.
EMT is good, direct Bank to Bank Transfer is better. Cash is best.
Keys don't change hands until satisfied funds are transferred. They can send a transfer from a bad account. It will look like the funds transfer order takes place until it fails, hours later due to NSF. By then they have your vehicle.
New one is stealing someone's car and selling it before it hits the hotsheet.
If the sellers name doesn't match the registration, walk away.
One that surprised me was how many replies I got from big name auto dealers. Turned out to be a trade-in scam. Just was surprised that tactic from big name lots in Edm.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:46 PM

I definitely try to stick with first one that has cash in hand gets the deal. Lots of scams that seem to be getting more and more creative.

I don't see a ton of harm if they want to sent you an e-transfer though. Just make sure the money is deposited successfully before you go too far.