Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2017, 08:39 PM

Default Tandem towing with a halfton

Pretty sure I'll get flamed to hell for this, but does anyone tandem tow with a half ton?

Background story...

2015 f150 5.0, extended cab 4x4, 24 foot 5th wheel. Loaded weight is 2700kg, truck weight 2565kg. Hitch Weight is 500kg=1100lbs. Max payload on truck is 2400lbs.

Sorry for the switching between metric and imperial lol.

Long story short, anyone every added a 22foot trailer behind to haul a 580lb quad?

Not interested in the whole buy a one ton blah blah blah. Owned many a one ton, know they are far superior for towing, but I don't have one now, nor am I going to be trading in on one
kg. Weights taken at self weigh scale by edson.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2017, 08:53 PM

You will be on the max for everything.

Total length has to be 20m or less in Alberta for tandem towing.

I'd suggest getting a much smaller trailer to tow the quad (why do you need a 22 foot trailer, behind your 24' trailer...for a 600lb quad??).

I personally wouldnt do it with a half ton. But to each their own.

Buy a one ton....
Old 03-29-2017, 08:53 PM

The truck will do it but I don't think it would be wise.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
(why do you need a 22 foot trailer, behind your 24' trailer...for a 600lb quad2:
Ya make do with what you got. Lol
Old 03-29-2017, 09:01 PM
Banned

Your 5th wheel hitch rating is what matters... Whatever the total weight of both trailers (loaded), it needs to be equal to or less than the rating.

And then there's the length issue, as mentioned...
Old 03-29-2017, 09:03 PM

I have an 08 GMC Sierra 1500 with a 5.3 that I tow a 1992 24 ft 5th wheel About 4000lb and I have a 10 foot steel trailer I load my Ranger combined about 1700lb on behind that. When I am not pulling that combo I switch out the ATV and trailer for a 15 ft Aluminum with 25 outboard .

Is it Ideal? no. Does it work? yup. I would prefer a 3/4 ton for this but that's not in the cards and I don't pull long distances with the combo. I might go 150 to 200 km max .
Old 03-29-2017, 09:06 PM

You're Maxed.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:26 PM

Consider putting a rack on back of the fifth wheel for the quad? Would only add 4 feet and a bit to your length.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:29 PM

http://www.rv-boondocking-the-good-l...cargodeck.html

Like this one...only a little bit bigger....
Old 03-29-2017, 09:35 PM

Remember that there is a lot of rolling hills in Alberta, even if your within the legal weight, your gona find problems driving up and down these hwy roads, nothing worse then white knuckling while your towing, and if you catch a head wind or cross wind, your gona find yourself on the side of the highway! Imo, instead of replacing rebuilt transmissions, and suspension ect, either downsize your load, or buy yourself a 3/4- 1 tonne deasel!
Old 03-29-2017, 09:40 PM

As mentioned, the rating of the hitch needs to be confirmed. The next biggest concern in my opinion will be the strength of the trailer frame where the pin box goes up into the body of the trailer and attaches to the main frame. Do a google search for images of "pin box failure" and you'll see what I mean. Putting the 22' trailer you are referring to would be way too much weight for the trailer frame to handle long term. As for extending the trailer frame to put a quad on, that's frame failure waiting to happen shortly after. That's way to much weight with leverage to add to the frame. If you do this, use a minimalist trailer that is as small and light as possible that just fits the one quad.
I added a bike rack on the back of my last trailer that turned into many hours of frame repairs. The top side of the A frame cracked across the top of the tubes multiple times from the weight on the back causing a lifting heaving on the A frame and the deflection in the rest of the frame caused a lot of the outriggers that supported the wall to crack and fail allowing the wall to sag downward from the floor in the mid sections.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:45 PM
Banned

It doesn't matter if you can get it rolling down the highway,its when you need the braking power you will put everyonev in danger!!
Old 03-29-2017, 09:46 PM

I'm at 62ft with a 2011 Ford F-250 ext cab, 23 ft 5th wheel and than I tow either a 12ft quad trailer behind or a 16ft boat, either way I'm well within the legal limit, chances of getting caught who knows, I've seen lots of huge rigs that I know are way over the legal length and it ruins it for others but it's your call, you can do it but I would sell your 22 ft trailer and buy a smaller one I can do just as much as I can with my 16ft high boy with a smaller lighter 12ft drive on drive off trailer
Old 03-29-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHRVN View Post
As mentioned, the rating of the hitch needs to be confirmed. The next biggest concern in my opinion will be the strength of the trailer frame where the pin box goes up into the body of the trailer and attaches to the main frame. Do a google search for images of "pin box failure" and you'll see what I mean. Putting the 22' trailer you are referring to would be way too much weight for the trailer frame to handle long term. As for extending the trailer frame to put a quad on, that's frame failure waiting to happen shortly after. That's way to much weight with leverage to add to the frame. If you do this, use a minimalist trailer that is as small and light as possible that just fits the one quad.
I added a bike rack on the back of my last trailer that turned into many hours of frame repairs. The top side of the A frame cracked across the top of the tubes multiple times from the weight on the back causing a lifting heaving on the A frame and the deflection in the rest of the frame caused a lot of the outriggers that supported the wall to crack and fail allowing the wall to sag downward from the floor in the mid sections.
I agree with you on that . On top of this the new trailers are made with one thing in mind."Lightweight" the frames are lighter and not built for so called add on's. I have a friend with a hard wall bumper tow and he has had frame above the the axle shackles crack twice in 2 years and that is not from abuse or hard use.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:52 PM

What's the weight of the 22'? 2300 lbs? So you're going to be towing about a lil under 9k lbs. That's pretty heavy for a half ton but doable. Not sure how it'd tow in tandem though.

That said, I'm pretty sure you'll be an absolute RCMP magnet. Frankly, if I saw you driving down the highway with your little half ton pulling a 5er with a full 22' trailer in tandem tow, I'd probably call the cops on you. I see too often idiots putting the convenience (or their own cheapness) of "it ain't ideal but it does the job" to work rolling down the highway with their 1/2 tons towing big 5th wheels or other big loaded up trailers. It's a lot more dangerous than people realize, and the arrogance of some people about it is astonishing.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:54 PM

Default Tandem Towing

If you set your 5th wheel trailer brakes properly it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:10 PM

Bet the first to go is the transmission

Safest vehicle on the road is a motorcycle

It can out accelerate anything

It can out stop anything

It can out handle anything

Therefore it must be the safest vehicle on the road
up till point of impact
Old 03-29-2017, 10:22 PM

What is your gcwr ?(gross combined weight rating).
You have to add the weight of your truck and passengers and accessories, plus the weight of the 22ft quad trailer, plus the 580lb quad to the 5952lb of your 5th wheel. That will tell you if you are legal or not. Will your truck pull it - sure.... but if you are in an accident and someone gets hurt, and you are over the legal gcwr of your truck, you will be paying for a long time

Last edited by Immigrant; 03-29-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:28 PM

Max payload does not mean its a good idea to hit the max

I have pulled wrenches on trucks that are maxed or push the limits. Put money aside for failures to come or for the person that sues when an accident happens. Just not a good idea

Im sure there is a killer deal on a black 1 ton dually somewhere
Old 03-29-2017, 10:51 PM

Change the second trailer. Get a small one. Don't put water in the 5er until you are near destination. Drive patiently. At your length now, some peace officer is going to chat with you. It's just no fun running over length that much. If you knew a welder, the best solution is bolting a rack on the back.

I use a little trailer 8x4 plus tongue is and run about 61 feet overall. If 20 metres is the legal limit, 65 feet.

I wonder if your hitch on the back of the trailer is enough for your flat deck.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2017, 05:47 AM
Banned

Get a diesel that has the proper braking power! A "light"model trailer is built light/cheap,which includes the frame,don't risk others lives pulling tandem with a half ton.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:05 AM

I'm amazed that anyone would consider towing that big a 5th wheel with a ford 1/2 ton forget about the extra trailer! My ford 1/2 sinks when that much is put on it. I have a 22' stock trailer that I feel is too much for it empty yes it will move it but not in what I would consider a safe manner. If the box drops and front end rises it is over loaded. You don't want to hear it but a one ton is what you should have.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:41 AM

PLEASE DO NOT WELD A RACK ONTO THE BACK OF THE 5er..

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Think about what 600# of weight will do to a trailer at that location. hint.. take ALOT of weight off the truck = not good. It will also put a TON of stress on your trailer's frame.

I've seen bike racks being dragged behind trailers, I wouldn't want a quad there.

Go spend $1000 and find a small utility trailer, hell, rent one it money is tight. You will be much better off..

I'd be more concerned that the quad trailer you plan on using is probably longer (hitch to wheels) than the 5er. This may affect handling alot.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack fish hunter View Post
The truck will do it but I don't think it would be wise.
Plan on getting a lot of fingers, going down the road.

Grizz
Old 03-30-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
What's the weight of the 22'? 2300 lbs? So you're going to be towing about a lil under 9k lbs. That's pretty heavy for a half ton but doable. Not sure how it'd tow in tandem though.

That said, I'm pretty sure you'll be an absolute RCMP magnet. Frankly, if I saw you driving down the highway with your little half ton pulling a 5er with a full 22' trailer in tandem tow, I'd probably call the cops on you. I see too often idiots putting the convenience (or their own cheapness) of "it ain't ideal but it does the job" to work rolling down the highway with their 1/2 tons towing big 5th wheels or other big loaded up trailers. It's a lot more dangerous than people realize, and the arrogance of some people about it is astonishing.

Pretty much have to agree with this, there was auctally a ao member that had all his weights proper but when it went bad it really went bad...I myself tow tandem but I traded my 3/4 ton Chevy for a one ton diesel, I felt very uneasy with the 3/4 ton..
Old 03-30-2017, 08:25 AM

Go to fords web site max trailer weight is based on only 60 sq feet of frontal profile your frontal area with a holiday trailer is bigger then that which I turn lowers your towing capacity. And remember the truck does not block that front profile it is part of it. That's why you see f350 and not f250 out there towing for the $300 difference when new they get way better towing due to bigger axle ratios on the base truck even. And for laughs go to a transmission shop and ask how much to rebuild that 6 speed when you burn it up. If that don't change your mind go for it
Old 03-30-2017, 08:40 AM

You're gonna cook your tranny if you are planning on driving much more than a half hour, the half tons don't have adequate cooling capacity for heavy loads. If you have a temp gauge for the tranny that will tell you if you can do it or not, but I'm gonna say not.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:41 AM

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...0_r1_Jan12.pdf
Old 03-30-2017, 08:56 AM

Git er done!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130610_0741001_zps15b96664.jpg (27.5 KB, 153 views)
Old 03-30-2017, 09:29 AM

Yes ctd your post shows it at the bottom according to those last 2 pages he will be overloaded by fords own page of information