Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Then rent a bigger one, the one i rented ground a poplar stump that was 2 feet accross in 20 minutes and took it 20 inchs down from ground level
Agreed. I have seen them gnaw through stumps in no time.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Then rent a bigger one, the one i rented ground a poplar stump that was 2 feet accross in 20 minutes and took it 20 inchs down from ground level
Yup. Crater filled with chips where a stump used to be in mere minutes.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:37 AM

Default blasting mat /square bales

And Tannerite............my uncle took a old cement floor out of a barn with no structure damage using this and 1/2 a stick of dynamite at a time.Do you have access to primer cord? Harold
Old 03-27-2017, 02:07 PM

Drill a large hole, fill the hole and little over half with muzzle loader powder, put in a fuse, wedge a plug in the top of the hole, light fuse and vacate the area, may not remove the stump completely, but it will break it up enough to remove with skidsteer.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:20 PM

Try one of these. You can rent them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyAgbQxyIkE
Old 03-29-2017, 08:43 PM

I have read through these posts again, some aren't quite what I wanted but I realized the fault was mine

In the original post, I should have said the stumps are actually at ground level. In order to fill the holes that have been dug down into the soft spot, I would like to cut down a bit of a hill side. In order to make a decent slope, I would like to make about a one foot cut about where the stumps are. As I am not the only one using this spot, I did not want to leave too much of a mess.

I have a battery powered sawzall and it would take out the side roots but I am not sure what it would do for a 10 inch stump about a foot down.

Well I guess the route is unusable for vehicle traffic right now, if my first try wasn't the best, nothing would be lost, I would be able to go back and try again.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
I know that most of the black poplar I cut level to ground ( the circumference of a lot of them was about 80 inches ) to make trails for the kids on our property ,are still hard and un rotted to this day, that was 24 years ago, but we were making trails, not cultivating garden plots or high speed roads ,,,
These stumps were cut to ground level a few years ago, They show no signs of rotting.