Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2017, 11:50 AM

Default Battery Powered Chainsaw

Anybody run a battery powered chainsaw? I'm thinking for the amount I use a saw its more appealing then the hassles that go with a two stroke saw that seldom gets used. Any brand/models to consider or avoid?
Old 03-29-2017, 12:21 PM

Default Suggestion . . .

Even the corded electric chainsaws are very limited in what they can do.

If you seldom have the need for one, consider renting (or borrowing) a gas one instead.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:53 PM
Banned

Just get a handsaw if you don't want the hassles of a chainsaw.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:58 PM

I've yet to replace a stolen Stihl gas saw that someone decided they wanted a while back, but I did pick up an electric Makita chainsaw that I've been pleased with so far. Its much nicer to use around my yard as I don't wind up stinking of two-stroke exhaust (the stench gets to me after the work is done, don't so much notice it when underway though). Makita owns a well-established German chainsaw manufacturer by the name of Dolmar, so any of their chainsaws are Dolmar's rebadged in Makita teal.

I have an older electric chainsaw that still works well but its lack of some safety features has me less fond of it than the Makita.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:58 PM

I purchased the Ryobi 40 volt chainsaw. The advantage to me with choosing this is I already have the Ryobi 40 volt lawnmower, so already have additional batteries.

I bought it based on another fellow who purchased one last year, and he was cutting trees, at a rate of about 1 battery per 1 gas tank on another saw. The cutting ability was comparable.

I'll be heading out camping in a couple weeks and my buddy and I will do a side by side comparison against his gas powered Stihl.

The one drawback is that it's a "14 blade, although that works for me in what I do.

As a comparable, I heard that the battery operated lawn mower would not compare to my gas, and I feel it outperformed my gas mower, so am not concerned about the power. However, the 40 volt batteries are somewhat expensive, so this may play into your decision.

I believe easy-go (or something like that) has a 56 volt, but it was considerably more than what I paid for mine ($288).

Cheers
Old 03-29-2017, 01:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topwater View Post

Any brand/models to consider* or avoid ?
Echo

* Husqvarna makes a good one, but it's spendy... Just over $500, no battery ($75 ?).

The rep at the Outdoorsman Show this year said basically $600 w/battery & charger. But this thing RIPS !!!

It's a Pro model saw though, check out the optional "high capacity battery".

http://www.husqvarna.com/ca-en/produ...-xp/966729174/

Last edited by J0HN_R1; 03-29-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:20 PM

The Stihl 200 lithium saw is awesome. I have had one for about 3 years and have not started the gas saw since. Batteries are pricey but cant beat them for convenience. They say 20 min. of cutting time/charge which I have never tested but can cut a weekend worth of wood for the camp in no time and with one battery. They of course do not have the torque of a gas engine but with a little patience they can cut through anything.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:06 AM

If you only want to do a little yard work like trim few trees probably okay. I like electric 120 volt when making log spindles for how handy. However I would never consider anything but a high torque gas husky for heavy log work.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:05 PM

I was surprised when I read a review that rated one electric as good as the 'good' gas saws. Not the best but well above many other gas chainsaws.

Last edited by KinAlberta; 08-05-2017 at 07:23 PM.