Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-24-2017, 06:30 PM

Default Keep em coming - final weekend

Got an early start to the final weekend. Good ole Pigeon
Tried some new water that didn't work out so well. Saw lots of walleye and the odd white. Moved to a new part of the lake and in shallow and was rewarded with a nice white. The line got tangled on the rod so I hand landed this one. Good fight too!

Hoping to continue the streak this weekend.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:56 AM

im so jelly.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:42 AM

Good thing I went on Friday LOL!

Saturday fished with a buddy and he saw some whites but neither of us caught any. Sunday was 0.0 for sightings and catching whites at Pigeon. What we did catch though was a ton of walleye. They were so on it was almost silly. I also had some whites milt in the hole...so Confucius say “Walleye jizz makes for poor site fishing”.

About noon I decided to try a salvage trip and left Pigeon and drove all the way down to Sylvan. Thought about Gull too but I needed to end on a good note. Sylvan did not disappoint. Easy access, no one around and endless whites. Managed to land 3 and lost another…6-7. Also had a huge pike almost take the lure. Huge as in 19-20 lbs. And managed a nice walleye which you think I would be sick of but I don’t see them that often at Sylvan.

All and all, a good salvage for my last day and one hell of a great season this year.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:39 PM

Way to adapt to the conditions and have faith in making a judgement call like that. It just makes sense with pigeon gull and sylvan and heck even south buck and battle for that matter within, say.. an hour of each other lots of daylight to play with. Never forget that day in march when there were 8 whites on the ice that weighed 43 pounds together tho. That's why pigeon is first try for us. Might get one hawg out of buck or battle but if you ever hit pigeon on a hot day look out. It's the moon phase in march I think.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:48 PM

And by the way, appreciate all your pictures and positive posts throughout the ice season...from a whitefish junkie who appreciates the thrill and unique challenge that quality whitefish offer. It's the most rewarding to those who pay attention to everything from the knot on up and that big ol whitey with the scar on his nose glides in and gives er that suck that says by gawd that's what I'm looking for...pack er up and call it a day...mission accomplished.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:12 PM

Thanks

Yeah, those big whites are addicting for sure. I get why some just target Pigeon alone. They are also good, clean, and extra oily which makes them great for the table or smoker.

For me, it is just about the fun of catching. Pigeon just barely keeps me going back. Those special days though are amazing. Other times, I just like to catch no matter the size and ending the season on that kind of note just felt right. I find it also helps me to spread out to multiple lakes just to keep it a bit fresh. Focusing on 3 lakes mostly this year has paid off but there is still unexplored water and best timing for certain areas on each lake to learn more about. Can't wait for next year!

Hope you had a great one too.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:05 PM

Congrats on a great whitefish season.
You caught some hogs this year.

I've got a flasher, but we struck out this year....which is was partly due to missing the best weekends due to weather, breakdowns and wife related commitments (after me buying too many guns).

Our usual haunts weren't working and we moved around a lot...but usually it seemed it was too late in the day (10ish) to succeed.

Thinking I might get a camera to help locate them next season.

What is your thoughts on this??
Old 03-28-2017, 09:41 PM

last day of ice fishing.... got two big ones, 21 inch
Old 03-29-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Congrats on a great whitefish season.
You caught some hogs this year.

I've got a flasher, but we struck out this year....which is was partly due to missing the best weekends due to weather, breakdowns and wife related commitments (after me buying too many guns).

Our usual haunts weren't working and we moved around a lot...but usually it seemed it was too late in the day (10ish) to succeed.

Thinking I might get a camera to help locate them next season.

What is your thoughts on this??
I like the idea of the cam. Of course then you can use it for other kinds of fishing too so a bonus. I did use it this year to confirm whites in areas where it seemed like there would be none. When I would see one on bottom, that was great. But when I lifted up the camera a few feet of mid way and turned and saw a white or two suspended...well...I couldn't get that camera up fast enough and the lines down. And I most often did this mid day or morning or later afternoon. Seemed to help me.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezh View Post
last day of ice fishing.... got two big ones, 21 inch
Nice! Congrats!
Old 03-29-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I like the idea of the cam. Of course then you can use it for other kinds of fishing too so a bonus. I did use it this year to confirm whites in areas where it seemed like there would be none. When I would see one on bottom, that was great. But when I lifted up the camera a few feet of mid way and turned and saw a white or two suspended...well...I couldn't get that camera up fast enough and the lines down. And I most often did this mid day or morning or later afternoon. Seemed to help me.
Thank you for the reply and info.

Guess we'll see if there are any sales on cams...now that season is almost done.

Best of luck to you this summer fishing season.