Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-15-2016, 07:30 PM

Default Bought a handgun, now what?

Hey guys, so I finally picked up my first handgun. Went with a Bersa Thunder 9 Pro duotone, and man am I excited!!!!
My question for you is, how do I go about getting her range ready? I know I have to clean it up and all that but what's the process you guys go through??

Thanks!

Schian

Oh, here's a sneak peak.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:38 PM
Banned

Nice looking I've been contemplating getting one
Old 11-15-2016, 07:46 PM

Cleaning it is a great idea, but make sure you oil the slide after, I find that the new pistols I've had experience with, will not cycle properly at all unless I oil the slide. Pistol looks nice, have fun!
Old 11-15-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
Nice looking I've been contemplating getting one
I waited almost a year for them to come in stock and they were sold out in a few days.
But worth the wait from the feel so far and reviews.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
Cleaning it is a great idea, but make sure you oil the slide after, I find that the new pistols I've had experience with, will not cycle properly at all unless I oil the slide. Pistol looks nice, have fun!
Yup...kinda counter to rifle cleaning, many pistols need to be fairly 'wet' for the slide to cycle smoothly.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:16 PM

Congrats.

Strip it apart. Grease certain spots / tracks. Lube others. Put back together. Function test. Trigger lock. Case. Lock. Paper work. Truck. Keys in ignition. Put in drive. Range. Target (s) Uncase. Load mag. Safety check. Fire .... Repeat as necessary.

Ear plugs highly reccomended in there ( safety check step )
Old 11-15-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
hmm I've never had any of my pistols not cycle because they were dry. I generally prefer to run them on the dryers side unless I am breaking them in, then I'll lube the hell out of them and fire it until it gets hot hot hot. After that I clean them and then a very very light coat of oil on the rails. Oil collects dirt, dirt and moving parts don't generally go well together.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:48 PM

I use a light oil coat after cleaning on everything but rails/slide. Those get a dab of white lithium grease. Stands up to a hot range session better. Moving parts need lubrication appropriate to the task. As fordtruckin mentioned, oil (and grease) will attract dust and dirt which causes wear, but running dry will also cause wear. So, clean often, oil and grease, and try not to drop your shiny new gun in the dirt if you can help it. I always take cleaning supplies to range for that eventuality anyway, but haven't managed to drop a pistol yet.

Rinse and repeat. Enjoy that gun. When you are ready to buy some more (which you will. It's as sure as the sunrise) shoot me a PM, I've got a couple Sigs and a S&W or 10 that I should sell. Problem is, I just keep buying.... In fact, just today a package arrived with this really fine Swiss made copy of a CZ 75 in it, a Sphinx AT 2000 S. I'd never heard of it until a week ago...when I just had to have it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-15-2016, 10:59 PM

Canuck is absolutely right, for your slides, oil will work, but grease will work better. I used to use regular gun oil, but for the past couple of years I've been using TW25B, a military grade synthetic grease, and it works very well. Lithium grease is a great idea, I use it at work, and is ALOT cheaper then what I'm using right now, and if you clean your pistols often, as I do I'm sure it won't make a difference!
Old 11-16-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Canuck is absolutely right, for your slides, oil will work, but grease will work better. I used to use regular gun oil, but for the past couple of years I've been using TW25B, a military grade synthetic grease, and it works very well. Lithium grease is a great idea, I use it at work, and is ALOT cheaper then what I'm using right now, and if you clean your pistols often, as I do I'm sure it won't make a difference!
TW25B for all intents and purposes is white lithium grease. Only, a small tube of TW25B will cost you as much as a huge tube of white lithium that will last several lifetimes.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-17-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
TW25B for all intents and purposes is white lithium grease. Only, a small tube of TW25B will cost you as much as a huge tube of white lithium that will last several lifetimes.
Since work doesn't provide me with white lithium grease, I dab it on the slide of my service pistol whenever I take it home and give it a better cleaning. Everything else gets a wipe down of a greased cloth so that they have a nice "dry" coating. All my pistols and revolvers get the same treatment.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:48 AM

Rinse and repeat. Enjoy that gun. When you are ready to buy some more (which you will. It's as sure as the sunrise) shoot me a PM, I've got a couple Sigs and a S&W or 10 that I should sell. Problem is, I just keep buying.... In fact, just today a package arrived with this really fine Swiss made copy of a CZ 75 in it, a Sphinx AT 2000 S. I'd never heard of it until a week ago...when I just had to have it. [/QUOTE]

Try not to get tangled up in Twisted's web
He's got excellent, albeit expensive, taste in firearms
Make sure to bring scotch to sweeten the deal!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:35 PM

Just a quick update.
Finally got out to the range this week as I've been insanely busy with work or it's been too bloody cold to shoot outside.

Anyway, just a quick 80 rounds and not a single jam/misfire or anything. I definitely need to practice up as my groups were all over the place at 7m but man is it fun!

Thanks for all the advice folks!

Schian
Old 03-15-2017, 11:08 PM

Nice. Indeed a bit freezy lately. I joined a range with some indoor lanes for winter.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:47 AM

Nice looking pistol! 7m is a long way for practicing with a handgun. Start at 3/5 and work your way out.

Throw a snapcap into one of your mags when loading; it'll show you if you're losing sight alignment when squeezing the trigger and you can work on clearing malfunctions too. Dry fire lots and work on getting a good sight picture with each trigger squeeze.

Enjoy!
Old 03-27-2017, 01:32 PM

Nice looking gun. How are first impressions and shooting? I'm in the market for a 9mm as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk