Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-20-2017, 04:38 PM
Banned

I believe all of the shops around me have either zipties or a special "bow lock" around the cables so that you can't pull them back. That seems like the best option to me. If the shop is busy then the staff may not get to all of the customers in time.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:36 PM

When i was working at the sportsman show for trophybook archery back when dan owned it and when mattews first came out with there high let off bows me and jim had a fellow come up grab the conquest draw it back jim was the first to get to the guy explaining to be carefull the bow wants to go and there isnt much valley the guy turns and says I KNOW WHAT IM DOING! Then he starts dinking around with his hand on the wood grip any way the conquest takes off out of his hand and buddy gets 70 lb of conquest riser to the fore head just about drops him ! He stagered around rubbing his head untill he got his ballance and he was gone ! HA! I have seen lots of bows dry fired and you usualy loose the sale cause they cant get outa there fast enough
Old 01-20-2017, 07:13 PM

Don't suppose you got it on video? Think I'll cruise the interweb to see if there is one out there. That would be something to see.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
Ah man some people's children. Excuse me while I go bang my head against the wall.
Keep banging about every third person who walks into a store/shop is clueless.
Large posters up indicating not to draw bows etc but then again we assume people can read and or are willing to follow direction...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-21-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator View Post
When i was working at the sportsman show for trophybook archery back when dan owned it and when mattews first came out with there high let off bows me and jim had a fellow come up grab the conquest draw it back jim was the first to get to the guy explaining to be carefull the bow wants to go and there isnt much valley the guy turns and says I KNOW WHAT IM DOING! Then he starts dinking around with his hand on the wood grip any way the conquest takes off out of his hand and buddy gets 70 lb of conquest riser to the fore head just about drops him ! He stagered around rubbing his head untill he got his ballance and he was gone ! HA! I have seen lots of bows dry fired and you usualy loose the sale cause they cant get outa there fast enough
Awesome, package him and the bow up...sale made!

Old 03-18-2017, 07:50 AM

I saw a guy draw a bow in Trophy Book back when Dan Hungle owned it. The string slipped out of his fingers at full draw and the brass nock come off and then embedded in a mans forehead on the other side of the store. It literally nailed the poor bugger right between the lookers. He had to go to the hospital to get it out.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:20 AM

Default Spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
zip tie around strings and cables fixes the issue....

I have had the same experience many times, someone unknown comes along and sees a bow in a display rack and draws it back....

I have to make the following two immediate deductions:

1) No one walks around with a badge showing archery experience thus I assume ZERO experience

2) The picked up the and drew without asking, thus the person has indicated a total basic lack of understanding of archery courtesy thus deducing minimal to no experience, or if experienced a complete disregard for archery courtesy and basic safety rules...

Thus my warning is two parted.... One is I ask the person to let it down immediately and slowly, the second I explain that if they want to draw the bow to feel the cycle they MUST ask first.

If they get snarky and say how many years of archery experience they have I say well sorry I automatically assumed you had none as you could not even observe basic archery courtesy and safety...

If they continue being snarky I refer them to my competition so they can go wreck a bow there...

The customer is not always right!.... Besides they are not a customer until they buy something!...

Old 03-24-2017, 04:06 PM

At the risk of derailing this thread and sounding like a fool, why shouldn't I pull my bow with bare fingers? I had a few misfires with a release and now won't pull a bow with a release unless I have an arrow knocked but I'm not worried about dry fires if I'm using fingers. What am I missing?

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-24-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
At the risk of derailing this thread and sounding like a fool, why shouldn't I pull my bow with bare fingers? I had a few misfires with a release and now won't pull a bow with a release unless I have an arrow knocked but I'm not worried about dry fires if I'm using fingers. What am I missing?
Depends on the bow. Some have so little valley, high let off.........use a closed full hand grip, you're probably OK.......normal 3 finger hold, the power can come on so fast and catch you off guard.

I was finger shooting bows for a long time. Some that other thought couldn't be done with fingers.
BUT....my current bow is like the above......can't shoot it with fingers.....gave up.....every now and then, I'd have an arrow released before settling down on target......all from a 85% letoff valley with a half cm of travel before its full on power. The arrow is gone from the fingers before you even can blink. Its great for eliminating any chance for a pluck, but just thinking about letting it go and that seems to be enough.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Post 30 explains it, there is a batural tendency to release after drawing
Cat
Old 03-24-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Certain bows can derail easily if you draw and draw down with fingers without keeping the lateral movement completely in line.

LC
Old 03-24-2017, 07:54 PM
Banned

A "dry fire" hurts the bow how?

Would the next customer who comes along know if this had occurred once or 5 dozen times to a particular bow in a store?
Old 03-24-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertScorpio View Post
A "dry fire" hurts the bow how?

Would the next customer who comes along know if this had occurred once or 5 dozen times to a particular bow in a store?
Are you asking how a dry fire hurts a bow?

When a bow is drawn and an arrow shot, the energy generated transfers to the arrow and things go well. Draw back a bow and fire without an arrow...the bow eats up all the energy, and things go bad...cams bend, limbs crack, strings snap.

Most bows won't sustain one full dry fire let alone several...the point of the conversation is don't draw a bow if you haven't asked the owner if it's ok.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 03-24-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

When a bow is drawn and an arrow shot, the energy generated transfers to the arrow and things go well. Draw back a bow and fire without an arrow...the bow eats up all the energy, and things go bad...cams bend, limbs crack, strings snap.

Most bows won't sustain one full dry fire let alone several...the point of the conversation is don't draw a bow if you haven't asked the owner if it's ok.

LC
Come on lefty, that's a myth...
Old 03-24-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
Come on lefty, that's a myth...

Cat
Old 03-24-2017, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
I shot a bow only once in a store. I was trying to learn. If you shoot it dry does it hurt the bow. I'm assuming yes. But would like to learn how it hurts the bow and if other shoppers like myself would ever know if a store owner kept a bad bow on the shelves for sale?
Old 03-24-2017, 11:45 PM

Thought about this for a while.
Ends up there is nothing simple or straight foreword to say about
this.

Only thing that comes to mind is stupid is as stupid does.

Simple as that. :-)

In a funny kind of way the rest of us might learn something new from them.
Maybe...

Last edited by Bonescreek; 03-24-2017 at 11:55 PM.