Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-02-2017, 03:38 PM

Default Muskrats

Does anyone have any left over muskrats waiting to go into this coming auctions or have sold, but I think sale for these are later on . Speculation like anything that prices are suppose to be better than the $ 3:00 plus mark last year . This according to Mary at NAFA in Winnipeg .
Old 03-02-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail200 View Post
Does anyone have any left over muskrats waiting to go into this coming auctions or have sold, but I think sale for these are later on . Speculation like anything that prices are suppose to be better than the $ 3:00 plus mark last year . This according to Mary at NAFA in Winnipeg .
I know FHA averaged around 4.30 ish US on rats on last sale, I have 130 and am not sure where to send them to,may sale NAFA or may sale FHA???
Old 03-02-2017, 07:50 PM
Banned

I've read that the mink inventory is low and with mink tied closely to muskrat, prices should be good. I didn't trap them last Fall but this Spring I hope to put up several hundred. Good luck to everyone that has rats in the next auction.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
I know FHA averaged around 4.30 ish US on rats on last sale, I have 130 and am not sure where to send them to,may sale NAFA or may sale FHA???
Thats the million dollar question Peter ... when I used to sell rats and beaver it seems like I did better at FHA than NAFA .. coyotes are opposite , go figure
Old 03-03-2017, 01:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
30% sold at FHA in January. Something to consider maybe. It could be that buyers only want larger sizes though I guess.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:59 AM
AO Sponsor

There is still quite the backlog of ranch mink, Jim Gibb says in particular a backlog of cheaper female mink. This is what will keep the rat prices about where they are at, I'm quite certain that he is not expecting them to move.

The FHA sale only sold 30% to come up with the average posted. If all you do is sell the large sizes, of course the average is going to look good, and that is what happened.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:29 PM
Banned

In the President's message on page 2 of the enclosed link the NAFA President stated that, "There are now fewer mink on the market than there has been in recent years." I'd be optimistic if I had muskrats in the next auction but I guess that we'll have to wait and see.

http://www.nafa.ca/nafa-news-february-2017/